Notices

Boating Accident in MI

Old 06-18-2004, 09:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boating Accident in MI

You don't here this often but a Jet Ski "jet boat" hit the Saugatuck Pier at 6am this morning. One gentleman was killed and the other rescued but hurt bad. The sun was up but the fog was very thick. This is a short Pier and even in fog you should be able to know where you are. This is too bad, driver error all the way. If you can't see 500ft in front of you you should not be on plane, I would need 1/4 mile before I would do it. I have been in fog on the lake where I could just see the bow and not a foot more, I was scared to death at a fast idle, I had to use the compass and depth finder to keep close but not too close. Just keep it at 15ft and you are ok. Our prayers are with these gentleman (they are both under 20).
Old 06-18-2004, 10:08 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts
Default Re: Boating Accident in MI

Who to F is jet-skiing at 6am? In the fog?

(Edited post as it was a admittedly unsensitive).

This is very unfortunate to have happened. This is a tragedy that very easily could have been avoided. I guess we all have to remember when we were all teenagers and bulletproof, to understand what mortality is all about then and now.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 06-18-2004 at 11:41 AM.
Old 06-18-2004, 10:14 AM
Registered

I know, this is not smart. We have a huge group of High School Graduates who camp in the parks and the beech as a last hooray. Seems there is always a drowning or accident of some sort. I think of the last second thoughts of these two as they saw the Pier and then hit it. Most are ramped and send you flying like James Bonds glastron.
Old 06-18-2004, 10:18 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

this is unfortunate but i have to agree with Sydwayz. And i too have got caught in some thick fog out on LK MI. Once coming back from Milwaukee i saw the front rolling in....made it all the way to Racine harbor before it hit us so bad i couldnt see past the nose of the boat! All i could see is the red/green glow off the bow nav lights!!! Funny thing was about 10' above out heads it was crystal clear!!! you could see stars everywhere! Thank god i had my GPS and had a bunch of waypoints marked 1 mile off shore. I started doing that out of habit everytime we left a new harbor just in case this was to ever happen and boy was i glad it payed off!!!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 06-18-2004, 11:00 AM
Registered

If it was a Jet-Ski (PWC) they were out illegally; I don't think you can be out that early on a PWC in Michigan. Not sure if the same law applies to jet boats, though.
Old 06-18-2004, 11:13 AM
Registered

last year comming home from the NYC poker run,, a mini hurricane whipped up, FOG, winds, thunder lightning, 4 footers,, couldnt see the nose on your face,, luckily we were right next to the Tappan Zee bridge,, we held on to one of the stantions for dear life, and just hoped nobody hit us,, was scared ****less..
Old 06-18-2004, 11:19 AM
Registered

Anyone caught in fog knows how disorientating it is. Last Sunday we were fogged in on a local lake. Reminded me once again how dangerous the situation is.

Back in the old days before Loran, Radio Direction Finder was the way home on Michigan with the parents.
Old 06-18-2004, 11:25 AM
Registered

You are right, they can not be out until dawn or around 7:30 am. You must also have a manual sound producing device. The pier head has one but it was not on. Whether driving on land or water fog is really the only thing that slows me down. Our advantage here is loud pipes save lives I worry more about those around me and fishermen sitting still, all they hear is whats going on around them but can't see a thing. Must be a relaxing fishing trip.
Old 06-18-2004, 11:35 AM
Registered

We passed a 65 S.F. Hatteras out of Saugatuck (remember the enclosed bridge docked at Coral Gables-late 80's) once in the dense fog. We were idling north and he was headed south about 3 mi offshore. His big 72mi radar slowly spinning as we met him, and then he was gone. Hatteras just came out with that 65 SF and it was an awesome sight I will never forget.
Old 06-18-2004, 11:35 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is very sad

the young man that died was the son of some friends of ours(actually Cherie has known them a long time and i had gotten to know them a bit in last couple of years)

the news said it happened around 4 am in the fog

I am sure much more about the circumstances will be available in next day or two

Our prayers to the family

Quick Reply: Boating Accident in MI

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.