Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How do you buy a trailer for your boat? >

How do you buy a trailer for your boat?

Notices

How do you buy a trailer for your boat?

Old 06-18-2004, 06:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do you buy a trailer for your boat?

My steel trailer does not like salt water. Plus I rewired the lights and breaks and can't get them to work. I hate electricity!!!!!!!!!! I need a new trailer. Are trailers generic or do I have to have it custome made. My budget is tight, actually can't afford it but I'm sick of the hassle of bandaiding this one.

How do I go about getting a trailer? should it be galvanized or aluminum? The ramps in my area suck so I have to really power up to get on the trailer. I heard the verticle bunks will split if you do this. My trailer now has the angled bunks.

Thanks
Old 06-18-2004, 06:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How do you buy a trailer for your boat?

Ken,,, first thing,, don't buy by price alone,,, biggest mistake I ever made.. second, buy a GOOD trailer, less headaches.. I am on my fourth and my last one was the biggest POS. my advice,, buy alum. or galvanized, bunks, torsion axles all the way,, brakes on atleast two axles, unless your state requires all 3, stainless hardware and a brake flush.. There are a bunch of nice alum. trailers out there at a descent price, and a few will deliver to your door.. good luck, see you in the morning..

Last edited by Chris288; 06-21-2004 at 08:10 AM.
Old 06-18-2004, 08:03 PM
Registered

Call Wayne at West Coast Trailers, tell him your on OSO and will brag about the good deal he gets you! That will get the price down. 949-254-9360. I am sure a few other people here can attest to his good work and prices.
Old 06-18-2004, 09:35 PM
Banned

I had Jack at Quickload build me an aluminum one. I got torsion axles, one axle of brakes (drum), stainless bolts, and flush kit. It was a triple axle with a 10,500 pound rating for my 302 Formula. He had all the measurements already. The first time I put the boat on the trailer, the bunks fit like a glove. The only thing I had to do was lower the winch stand to the bow eye. I ordered it on a Monday, he had it ready to go that Friday. $3400, made last December. The only thing I should have added was LED lights, but I haven't had any trouble with mine yet.
Old 06-18-2004, 10:03 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Whatever you do. DO NOT. DO NOT. DO NOT buy a Rocket. They all suck ass. Search on Rocket for my hell I went through on mine. It floated. The brakes sucked. The axles bent. A wheel flew off. The bunks were too short. There were only two bunks on the trailer.

I rebuilt it nearly from scratch, and it is now a good trailer (with its new owner).

Hi-Tech has their stuff together too, and are very prominent here on the board.

I highy recommend Myco and http://www.mcclaintrailersinc.com/
Old 06-18-2004, 10:06 PM
JnT
Registered

Try this.Lots of info and prices.http://www.championtrailers.com/trlrnet.htm
Old 06-18-2004, 11:02 PM
Registered

Try manning. boatme on the board has an interest in the co and will treat you very well. for me its either myco or manning. you get what you pay for, and if you have 100,000 - 200,000 sitting on your trailer in tow, its a rough place to cut corners.. good luck. dave
Old 06-18-2004, 11:09 PM
JC
Registered

Re: How do you buy a trailer for your boat?

Call Myco
Old 06-19-2004, 08:59 AM
Registered

The professional trailer companies have the measurements of most boats on file. Measure the bottom corner of your transom to your bow eye in a straight line, not with the curve of the bottom of the boat. If it is a conventional v-bottom the bunks will have to adjusted in or out. If it is a step then it should be customized to fit perfectly not to damage the bottom of the boat. See the OSO Advertisers/Links Section under trailer manufacturers for some good companies.
Old 06-19-2004, 09:27 AM
Performance Boat Center
VIP Member

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

90% of the time a typical bolt together aluminum trailer can be built within one week of order....

Obviously we recommend MYCO, which is great, if your budget allows...
Extreme and Manning also do a wonderful job.

I have used Armstrong with good results as well. They'll build you what you want, quickly. Bruce is the contact there. Tell him Timmy from National sent you...
954-809-8739
Wright Performance, MTI, Cigarette, Sunsation

Quick Reply: How do you buy a trailer for your boat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.