Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Which will have a better ride - Top Gun or 37AVH Active Thunder >

Which will have a better ride - Top Gun or 37AVH Active Thunder

Notices
View Poll Results: Which boat has better ride in snotty/confused water 2'-3'??
Cigarette Top Gun TS
67.96%
Active Thunder 37AVH
32.04%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Which will have a better ride - Top Gun or 37AVH Active Thunder

Old 06-21-2004, 02:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Which will have a better ride - Top Gun or 37AVH Active Thunder

i love when we get into these pissing matches. ford or dodge, cig or outer limits. the truth of the matter, you like what you like. for whatever the reasons are. im a ford and cigarette guy. nothing will change that. some of you guys are on the fence, and need a little convincing. you are the poor soles, that might end up with a chevy, and pulling a bayliner behind it. all we really have to do is use our heads. first open up your check book and see what you got going. maybe even look in your garage. see what kind of guy you are. if your looking to get the most bang for your buck, cigarettes, and outer limits are not for you. if you have an open check book, or might what the ultimate, classic deep v, you are a cigarette man.....lets be honest with each other, some of use are silly with our money and go crazy when it comes to boating. some of us are very smart with our money and spend it wisely. 90% is what you have going on in the bank. thats the truth........

Maybe - but did that have more to due with the fact that it was the experience and effort of Team Virgin, or with the hull on the boat? And I don't recall anyone running a 37 AVH AT back then anyhow, so it's all just speculation...

hey dockrocker, you agree they know what they are doing. would you also agree they know a little about what hull might work for them...
dave
Old 06-21-2004, 02:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stecz20, I'm not saying one is better than the other, just pointing out that it's kind of ridiculous to say "Team Virgin was faster than everyone" equals "a stock production 38 TG is better than a 37 AVH" (or any other hull, for that matter). IMO, either of these boats is probably more capable than 95% of their owners, so it's a moot point anyway. I'm sure Tres would be faster than me in a 38 TG, and equally sure he'd be faster in a 37 AVH, or any other boat you'd care to name. A race boat, of any manufacturer, does not equal a production hull from the same builder. Some may be closer than others, but I still believe it is comparing apples to oranges.

And Brad, let's not run this off into the woods about who is selling what boat - if you look in the classifieds, there are dozens of Cigs for sale. What does that mean? Not a damn thing. In fact, there's a board member or three that are selling damn near brand new Gladiators and TS TG's, must mean *something* right? Give me a break...
Old 06-21-2004, 03:16 PM
Registered

OK dockrocker I will not run off into the woods. Actually in SC you need a Fountain to do that.

Cigarette has had a great reputation as a rough water boat since day 1. The Top Gun has been the most sucessful hull ever built by Cigarette.
Over 600 hulls built.

Like I said before I have only riden in a 25 AT and it did not have the build quality of a Cig.
Old 06-21-2004, 03:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad
Dockrocker
Actually I think in the rougher races the Virgin boat had better times than some of the Super V's. I have ridden with both Todd and Tres and they are both very good but I think it had a lot to do with the hull!
This topic came up a few years ago when Radio Active and another 37 were being built with 675's. Funny, I think both of the original owners sold there AT's.
Radio Active was sold because of size of cabin for us was to small, we thought we could make it work for overnighting, just coming out of a 42 Sonic. I was wrong, but It still was one of the best boats we owned, unfortunatly, Pat didn't finish his 42, so we moved on to a 4300 Nortech, which is at another level of perfection, and it doesnt get any better than this. For the amount of money, the 37AVH was great, and was worth more, compared to my 2000 TG like I mentioned earlier, with the exception of the mold work, this is where the Cig. was better, I really had alot of problem with this boat, and there was no factory support either. The ride was definatly better on the 37AVH, and thats the reason why very few single step TG were sold. Each to his own, and this is just my personal experience, others may be different.
Old 06-21-2004, 03:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Brad
OK dockrocker I will not run off into the woods. Actually in SC you need a Fountain to do that.
LOL! Now don't get the beak boys all riled up! Keep it up and they'll be over here singing the praises of the left-side throttle/shifter - "Perfectly positioned for someone to lurch into it while underway! Also doubles as a handy grab handle for entering the cockpit while docking!"
Old 06-21-2004, 03:47 PM
Registered

"Seems to me that with a Cigarette you pay a premium for the name (nothing wrong with that, there's a reason they are called "cigarette boats") and there are a number of compromises in the interior - I have a hard time understanding how a 38' (or 42', or 46') boat can be built with only a porta-pottie, but everyone's priorities are different."

The more $hit you have in the cabin the more stuff there is to break. I guess it depends on where you boat, but if you are in the ocean launching off of swells you will break stuff in the cabin. I have seen many microwaves, fridges, T.V's ect... on the floor of the cabin after a hard run in other boats. I have yet to break anything in the cabin of the Top Gun. I have to think that Cigarette puts minimal stuff in the cabins for a reason.
Old 06-21-2004, 03:53 PM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 397 Likes on 124 Posts

I have made the Key West run in two different TS's, and boated in other TS's. They all ride great! We just got back from LOTO in PRG's TS and it did awesome up there. It may be driver experience, but we blew right by some 43' & 46' boats that were bouncing when we were just cutting the water. I don't have any experience with AT's, so I can't comment on those. I will agree with everyone else on the personal preference issue.
Old 06-21-2004, 04:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dockrocker
LOL! Now don't get the beak boys all riled up! Keep it up and they'll be over here singing the praises of the left-side throttle/shifter - "Perfectly positioned for someone to lurch into it while underway! Also doubles as a handy grab handle for entering the cockpit while docking!"
Then don't move around when underway. If you all are that un-coordinated where you can't rub your belly and pat your head at the same time, talk to your parents that hatched you. It is set up that way for a speed/safety reason, providing you are right handed.
Old 06-21-2004, 05:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Downtown42
Then don't move around when underway. If you all are that un-coordinated where you can't rub your belly and pat your head at the same time, talk to your parents that hatched you. It is set up that way for a speed/safety reason, providing you are right handed.
Ah! Once again, Reggie is right and the umpteen bazillion boat manufacturers have gotten it wrong all these years!

Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 06-21-2004, 06:07 PM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

That was nice of someone to delete the Apache sinks thread. Wouldn't want insurance adjusters to read that crap

Quick Reply: Which will have a better ride - Top Gun or 37AVH Active Thunder

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.