Like Tree0Likes

where are all the bigmouth fountain fans now ? not in NY

Old 06-20-2004, 11:47 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member
Trade Score: (2)

My Boats: 2000 Formula 382 with Innovation 600's
Default Re: where are all the bigmouth fountain fans now ? not in NY

Don't read too much into the Fountain Kilo boat not being at NYC. The boat was and has always been intended to be a kilo run boat. The idea of going to NYC came up when it appeared that the boat was going to be done in time. A screw-up with ordering the hatch scoops and Reggie's insistence that the tailpipes be moved from the hatches to the sides of the boat simply created too many delays. Nothing was proven at NYC except that people can get hurt when egos get out of control in a fundamentally unsafe environment.

Late edit: That last comment is NOT a slam on the guys in the Apache that went over. It's more of an observation along the same lines of the following posts.

Last edited by C_Spray; 06-20-2004 at 01:57 PM.
Old 06-20-2004, 12:10 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1997 Cig Kevlar - powered by Boyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Spray
Nothing was proven at NYC except that people can get hurt when egos get out of control in a fundamentally unsafe environment.
Ouch
Old 06-20-2004, 12:17 PM
Registered
VIP Member

My Boats: 03, Fountain 38 Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Spray
Don't read too much into the Fountain Kilo boat not being at NYC. The boat was and has always been intended to be a kilo run boat. The idea of going to NYC came up when it appeared that the boat was going to be done in time. A screw-up with ordering the hatch scoops and Reggie's insistence that the tailpipes be moved from the hatches to the sides of the boat simply created too many delays. Nothing was proven at NYC except that people can get hurt when egos get out of control in a fundamentally unsafe environment.

Thanks, Facts, not bs. I like the last sentence too.
Old 06-20-2004, 12:56 PM
Registered

My Boats: Baja

Who really cares? Right? Ninty percent of us who have power boats are in it for our own enjoyment and fun. hense the term, Recreational boating!!! And depending on how far we can or are willing to take it both financially and phisically we enjoy ourselves, What's faster..shmaster blahblah blah, let the races decide the races and let the rest of us enjoy the fun of boating! weather it be a 47 outerlimits canopy boat that i run in my bathtub at home or the first little outboard 15 foot bowrider i owned that i thought was king of the lake at 29mph.!!!! all this my boat is better than your boat crap is getting old!!!!!
Old 06-20-2004, 04:18 PM
Registered

My Boats: motor sports boats bikes

this statment about comparing a ol to a fountain is down right lame!!
I DONT THINK U CAN SPEND 1 MILLION ON A FOUNTAIN.
OL IS THE MOST OVER PRICED, NON RACED, NON PROVEN BOAT OUT THERE,,
the only one i know of racing is wild child.. a 37 with 500's? for prob 500k new..?
or buy a scarab, fountain, cig, A/t, for 100++++ k less???

i would prob own one if i had the money!! but the fact is own a fountain, because they cater to the masses so to speak. and i can afford that.100 mph boat..
when ol has a boat for 250k brand new that runs 100mph call me other wise drop this stupid comparison..
why not compare a 25 million dollar lear jet to a 1970 beachcraft someone bought used for 50k
when money is no object there are tons of possibilities. but how big do u want your marketshare. ol small fountain HUGE>>>

ol's are stunning bad ass overpriced machines for the rich and famous.

my o2
Old 06-20-2004, 04:24 PM
Registered

My Boats: motor sports boats bikes

someone made a good comment.. ol guys are racing at the poker runs foutain races at the RACES>>>
hmm interesting...
Old 06-20-2004, 04:40 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow Re: where are all the bigmouth fountain fans now ? not in NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas
this statement about comparing a ol to a fountain is down right lame!!
I DONT THINK U CAN SPEND 1 MILLION ON A FOUNTAIN.
OL IS THE MOST OVER PRICED, NON RACED, NON PROVEN BOAT OUT THERE,,
the only one i know of racing is wild child.. a 37 with 500's? for prob 500k new..?
or buy a scarab, fountain, cig, A/t, for 100++++ k less???

i would prob own one if i had the money!! but the fact is own a fountain, because they cater to the masses so to speak. and i can afford that.100 mph boat..
when ol has a boat for 250k brand new that runs 100mph call me other wise drop this stupid comparison..
why not compare a 25 million dollar lear jet to a 1970 beachcraft someone bought used for 50k
when money is no object there are tons of possibilities. but how big do u want your marketshare. ol small fountain HUGE>>>

ol's are stunning bad ass overpriced machines for the rich and famous.

my o2
It's good to have different boats for different strokes. A 42' Executioner with T-900's goes 110 MPH and is something that probably would cost less than 1/2 of an OL and you can be proud to own as you can be with a Formula and others in that price range as well. There is much to be said about a production boat in terms of value and afford-ability. If you go custom and have the $$ Cigarette and others can take well care of your needs for about 1/2 the cost of an OL. Want an OL and have $$$$ buy one who cares. But they do seem to be catering to a "certain clientel" these days They have a niche' market that covers the groundwork for that "group" pretty well.

You just can't compare apples to oranges. What's an apple and what's an orange? Look at the "sticker price" if it's within a few thousand dollars you have the right to do the comparison by all means. As I mentioned earlier a 42' OL with T-825 Sterlings goes for around $ 800,000.00. Most top end companies could build you a top drawer epoxy 42'er for around a million that will compete nicely!

You can't compare a Ferrari Enzo to Corvette fairly. Both are great but it's not fair to bash one or say the other's better either. Different leagues. Apples and oranges. Yea, they both have 4 tires.
Attached Thumbnails
where are all the bigmouth fountain fans now ? not in NY-f601a.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 06-20-2004, 05:34 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

My Boats: 36' Apache Warrior / 22' Apache Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Old
How true!

Are Poker Runs races? Are the guys with deep pockets now spending seven figures to be "King of the Hudson"?
I was asking the same question when I was checking in for the poker run. The woman said to me "Are you going to be competing in the race portion, or are you just going to be running?"

I then had to sign an insurance waiver stating that I was not going to "compete". My crew was a little taken back as well.

I think the King of the hudson (so called race) should be run at a separate time or different day, that way things don't get so crazy. Also, if you are going to race I think that you should have to have the proper safety equipment (helmet, impact life vest, air supply etc.)

this was just my observation.
Old 06-20-2004, 05:47 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2001 Top Gun T/S, 2002 Gladiator

Poker runs have become races.... look at the pits!! Big rigs, tilt trailers, enclosed trailer caryying sports cars and harleys, full crews, team wear....yada yada. Its the new way to race!! Best part is that these guys get out there in their 160 mph boats with a switlick vest and no helmet..... it is only a matter of time before somebody gets seriously hurt and takes others with them. This stuff should be done in controlled enviroments with strict safety guidelines. I wonder when the last time Fiore took a dunk test was?? Or how long it would take to get a diver dispatched to a sinking canopy boat?? Would the diver be familiar with extraction procedures?? Obviously NO. I may on run in the 90's when I race but I am damn glad I have Angel1 up there with knowledgeable crew in case the worst happens. These guys are clueless..............

By the way, Fred I am damn glad you are OK.
Old 06-20-2004, 06:59 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2005 Callan 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Old
How true!

I'm curious, I saw a lot of canopied boats in the pictures of the NYC poker run. Yet the majority of them weren't race boats???

Why aren't these canopied Outerlimits on the race course? Why do guys build canopied boats like these? Just for Poker Runs??? I'm not trying to add fuel to a fire. I'm seriously interested in the purpose of the canopied non-race boats. They seem awfully limited for recreational use.
The top is removable. It's actually pretty slick...top on for high speed safety...top off when the wife & kids are around. I stopped by Outerlimits last week to see their new shop...very impressive...I saw tooling for a race boat...could see it before the end of the year I was told.