Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
POLL: which oil do you use ? >

POLL: which oil do you use ?

Notices
View Poll Results: What oil do you use in your stock power big block ??
25-40
9.01%
15-40
4.95%
20-50
15.37%
straight 40
15.90%
straight 30
3.36%
syntec
1.59%
mobil 1
32.33%
amsoil synthetic
7.95%
R.P.
3.71%
OTHER
5.83%
Voters: 566. You may not vote on this poll

POLL: which oil do you use ?

Old 09-09-2005, 09:32 PM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Re: POLL: which oil do you use ?

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
I am on the waiting list for a new Skater... I figured all or nothing...
Great - congratulations. Size? Have you picked power?
Old 09-09-2005, 09:35 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: POLL: which oil do you use ?

40'er...kinda like this one...working on a paint scheme..
..they say they have these 1150 V-12's...160mph...but more realistically I think Sterling 1050's..
Attached Thumbnails POLL: which oil do you use ?-40crp.jpg  

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 09-09-2005 at 09:37 PM.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:37 PM
Registered

Very nice. Do you have an approximate delivery?

Last edited by Mentalpause; 09-09-2005 at 09:41 PM.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:41 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Mentalpause
Very nice. Do you have an approximate delivery? Have you chosen power?
Have not chosen power yet..on the so called list...delivery date is a ways out...it may be moved up or back...but right now all they say is you can expect to have one...after a few special projects are completed things will get firmed up.

My second choice is a NorTech if things get too "futuristic".

...I really do like the Skater's ride and handling..but a Nor Tech is great too.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:42 PM
Registered

Have not chosen power yet..on the so called list...delivery date is a ways out...it may be moved up or back...but right now all they say is you can expect to have one...after a few special projects are completed things will get firmed up.

My second choice is a NorTech if things get too "futuristic".

...I really do like the Skater's ride and handling..but a Nor Tech is great too.
Either will be a great choice.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mobil1 is junk!

Now that I have my FLAME suit on... here are the facts. Mobil1 has the greatest marketing strategy in the industry. They PAY the manufacturers to use their oil. Think how much the manufacturers save by getting the first fill for free. Then all they have to do is get the rest of the world to believe in their hype and the payoff is big.

The truth is that Mobil1 has some of the worst shear stability in the industry. They filter it and make it nice and clear to pour so you think you are getting something more than what you are.

Royal Purple is the oil I use in everything I own.

So, you ask... "Why is Mobil1 so bad and HOW do I know this...?"

In several different applications of professional racing, I tried Mobil1 back to back in both dyno and real world track racing at high rpm. In one vehicle, a Dodge Neon DOHC, the cam actuates a roller rocker arm which floats against a hydraulic lash adjuster and the other side the valve. The cam lobe provides leverage to open the valve but true valve lift is determined by how well the oil maintains its hydraulic properties. If the oil breaks down, so does the actual lift at the valve. This was very evident on the dyno but more so at the track. At Texas World Speedway the temps would exceed 240 degrees oil temp and the pressure would drop from 65 psi cold to 35 psi hot. The idle pressure would drop to less than 5 psi and take 30 minutes of idling to stabilize pressure. This was using the 15W/50 oil.

By switching to Royal Purple, we never saw an oil temp over 200 degrees and our coolant temps dropped from 210 degrees to just over the thermostat temp of 185 degrees. On the dyno our power actually increased from 185hp to the front wheels to 205 hp just from the added lift and the lower parasite drag due to using a LOWER viscosity oil. Thats right... we used a lower viscosity oil which saved drag and still gave us the full hydraulic properties needed to support high rpm and high stressed loads.

Now for a real engine... In our Dodge Vipers, we saw a 60 hp gain across the board and a massive temperature drop due to the aluminum block and heads. The oil covers more area than the coolant thus offering a much greater cooling for the engine. In all our races, we would keep the stock radiators and not use a larger capacity front radiator which would add 25 pounds ahead of the front wheels.

Want more proof...? In 2000, BMW switched to the Mobil1 oil from their Synthetic Castrol for the BMW M3. Amazingly, owners all over the United States were having catastrophic engine bearing failures. At first, it was blamed on the owners overrevving the engines.... but, once it was found out that the only ones having these failures were those using the factory recommended Mobil1 oil, it was determined through several different analysis strategies that the oil was to blame. BMW's fix was to replace all the M3 owner's oil with Castrol synthetic 5W/50 and the failures went away.

Look, if it works for you, great. My experience is that its junk and it loses power and protection. Added heat is added trouble and wear. Royal Purple's parent company is Synerlec, the STANDARD in heavy industry and compressor oils for the largest oil producing companies. Don't take my word... look it up on the internet.

http://www.synerlec.com

http://www.royalpurple.com

Hope this helps.

David A. Wilks
Old 09-09-2005, 11:11 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

..they say they have these 1150 V-12's...160mph...but more realistically I think Sterling 1050's..
Cool. Will Loucks be painting the boat? Any renderings you can post? It will be one sweet ride.
Old 09-10-2005, 12:00 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

First I have to close on the sale of 2 companies...then finalize things...but it will happen...I am thinking up ideas and I will use their paint guys....

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 09-10-2005 at 12:16 PM.
Old 09-10-2005, 12:01 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg
Mobil1 is junk!

Now that I have my FLAME suit on... here are the facts. Mobil1 has the greatest marketing strategy in the industry. They PAY the manufacturers to use their oil. Think how much the manufacturers save by getting the first fill for free. Then all they have to do is get the rest of the world to believe in their hype and the payoff is big.

The truth is that Mobil1 has some of the worst shear stability in the industry. They filter it and make it nice and clear to pour so you think you are getting something more than what you are.

Royal Purple is the oil I use in everything I own.

So, you ask... "Why is Mobil1 so bad and HOW do I know this...?"

In several different applications of professional racing, I tried Mobil1 back to back in both dyno and real world track racing at high rpm. In one vehicle, a Dodge Neon DOHC, the cam actuates a roller rocker arm which floats against a hydraulic lash adjuster and the other side the valve. The cam lobe provides leverage to open the valve but true valve lift is determined by how well the oil maintains its hydraulic properties. If the oil breaks down, so does the actual lift at the valve. This was very evident on the dyno but more so at the track. At Texas World Speedway the temps would exceed 240 degrees oil temp and the pressure would drop from 65 psi cold to 35 psi hot. The idle pressure would drop to less than 5 psi and take 30 minutes of idling to stabilize pressure. This was using the 15W/50 oil.

By switching to Royal Purple, we never saw an oil temp over 200 degrees and our coolant temps dropped from 210 degrees to just over the thermostat temp of 185 degrees. On the dyno our power actually increased from 185hp to the front wheels to 205 hp just from the added lift and the lower parasite drag due to using a LOWER viscosity oil. Thats right... we used a lower viscosity oil which saved drag and still gave us the full hydraulic properties needed to support high rpm and high stressed loads.

Now for a real engine... In our Dodge Vipers, we saw a 60 hp gain across the board and a massive temperature drop due to the aluminum block and heads. The oil covers more area than the coolant thus offering a much greater cooling for the engine. In all our races, we would keep the stock radiators and not use a larger capacity front radiator which would add 25 pounds ahead of the front wheels.

Want more proof...? In 2000, BMW switched to the Mobil1 oil from their Synthetic Castrol for the BMW M3. Amazingly, owners all over the United States were having catastrophic engine bearing failures. At first, it was blamed on the owners overrevving the engines.... but, once it was found out that the only ones having these failures were those using the factory recommended Mobil1 oil, it was determined through several different analysis strategies that the oil was to blame. BMW's fix was to replace all the M3 owner's oil with Castrol synthetic 5W/50 and the failures went away.

Look, if it works for you, great. My experience is that its junk and it loses power and protection. Added heat is added trouble and wear. Royal Purple's parent company is Synerlec, the STANDARD in heavy industry and compressor oils for the largest oil producing companies. Don't take my word... look it up on the internet.

http://www.synerlec.com

http://www.royalpurple.com

Hope this helps.

David A. Wilks
hey Dave...quite a manifesto...

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 09-10-2005 at 12:25 PM.
Old 09-10-2005, 04:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg
Now for a real engine... In our Dodge Vipers, we saw a 60 hp gain across the board and a massive temperature drop due to the aluminum block and heads.
I find it interesting that one of the worlds most renowned race engine builders would deliver their engines with an oil that is junk, versus an oil that would gain them 60HP.

I have the number for one of the main engineers at Ilmor, Maybe they will want to hire you.

Quick Reply: POLL: which oil do you use ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.