Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   NY Reality Check (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/81794-ny-reality-check.html)

WickedWon 06-22-2004 08:18 AM

NY Reality Check

Finally got a chance to check out all the NY posts and pic's, WOW what beautiful stuff. Just a few observations.

The Fountain / Fiore issue nastiness. Lets all remember that Reggie has done more for this sport than anyone ever has or will again, how about a little respect ?

The OL's are so "over the top" mechanically and beautiful to boot that they steel the show, period. However they have become, for the most part, almost laughable as far as boating goes. These guys are spending $ 10,000.00 - $ 15,0000.00 and hour to operate the big ones in point and shoot straight line drag races, and thats cool ( and a little crazy but God love'm), but it doesn't have much to do with boating or Poker Runs as I once knew them. I owned a canopy boat, safer, yes, fun, no.

Speaking of fun, thats all boats are about, there has to be a balance and I'm wondering if that balance is being lost ? It seems like more runs are being canceled than ever for a lack of interest, is it because the "bar" has been raised too the point where a guy in a nice 75mph ( only :rolleyes: ) boat without a $ 20,000 paint job feels " unworthy" of participating ?

I know I like to run hard, harder than most ( thats why I always have my wife with me, she's the "governor", amazingly she knows just where 8/10ths is ;) ) but mines just a backyard hotrod, nothing more. I just sense a dramatic change and it's kinda of giving me a chill, for the sake of the sport I hope it's just me.

JD

bryanspeedracer 06-22-2004 08:27 AM

Re: NY Reality Check

JD,

I agree. I'm not a fan of the drama, either. I would like to enter a poker run eventually, but as I read the posts of the NYC run I can't begin to think that my
"75 mph" would get in the way of the faster ones.
When I raced motocross, I loved it but I expected a race. There is no way I would want subject my family and friends (my 20 year old boat, either) to an event that becomes an endurance run.

knotpropr 06-22-2004 08:47 AM

:cool:

BLee 06-22-2004 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by WickedWon
is it because the "bar" has been raised too the point where a guy in a nice 75mph ( only :rolleyes: ) boat without a $ 20,000 paint job feels " unworthy" of participating ?

Hey wildman,
I have seen this becoming a problem. Also the entry fee's are pretty steep on the best runs. Alot of folks don't want to pay $600-1000 for the entry, hotel, get the boat there, and any extra stuff for a weekend.

I have friends that own gorgeous boats that run in the 70-75mph range that simply feel their boat cannot keep up with the pack. On the longer runs (100+ miles) I can average 75 mph easily, but if I need more it's there. These guys have to run their boats ragged to just keep the pace. Thats obviously hard as hell on their equipment and can add to their expensive weekend.

On the other hand, the boats at the runs these days are nothing short of stunning. I absolutely love to walk the docks and drool on everyone elses toy. ESPECIALLY those backyard hotrods. :cool:

Tonto 06-22-2004 08:51 AM

Jim
I agree with you on the bar being raised too far. I, like you and everyone else, can appreciate the time and money put into ALL these beautiful hotrods, and yes I am awe-struck at some of them, but where did it turn into a boat race. I, myself do not want to go out and participate in one of these events because people run TOO FAST TOO CLOSE to each other. I was at the 1000 Islands run a couple of years ago as a guest on a friends boat and all I did all day long was stand behind the driver and tell him when boats were going to pass and on which side, NOT FUN!

You've been on my boat during a FPC poker so you know how I like to do it. Bringing up the FPC runs, I've heard a lot of comments about the Miami run that was on TV and Stu yelling at the guys to behave, what most people don't realize is the guy on the outside in the turn in question was headinng for water that is only a foot deep, bet he wouldn't of thought is was too much fun if he ran aground and got fined by FMP. You boat down here in the Keys, you KNOW how shallow the water gets, but most of these guys don't. Enough of my ranting, Ive got a boat to get together.

Robert

388Hustler 06-22-2004 09:01 AM

I have one quick question for everyone. Why is everyone making such a big deal about the OL guys and the expense/speeds of their boats? How much does a 38'+ cat with moderate to high power cost? We see them all the time and nobody seems to mind that. Am i missing something here?

I say more power to anyone that can afford one. I love to watch them.

Dean

Scott 06-22-2004 09:04 AM

"but it doesn't have much to do with boating or Poker Runs as I once knew them"

That about sums it up for me. Things have changed fast I would love to go to Smoke and National and a lot of other runs but feel I would be in the way and looked down upon. I don't do this to other people and I'll be damned if I would let someone do it to me.

On the other hand I feel fortunate through our club and hanging out with friends that I still have quality boating options.

Great seeing you this weekend hope to see you and Mary soon on the water.

BTW
Another topic that you had me thinking about and could cause a lot of bad reactions but sometimes the facts need to be asked or debated.
I have an offshore style sport boat. You own a True Offshore rigged boat and an Offshore Style center console. What about an offshore style runabout. What makes them all different and do people really understand their limits?

Scott 06-22-2004 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by 388Hustler
I have one quick question for everyone. Why is everyone making such a big deal about the OL guys and the expense/speeds of their boats? How much does a 38'+ cat with moderate to high power cost? We see them all the time and nobody seems to mind that. Am i missing something here?

I say more power to anyone that can afford one. I love to watch them.

Dean

I don't see that anyone is making a big deal about the OL guys or the guys with extreme harware it is just that the Bars have been raised sky high at the large who is who poker runs that for a lot of us that used to or would like to participate it is now become a spectator event.
I love to look at hear and see the extreme hardware run I love it! I'm not jealous or think anything other than wow thats nice "good for you".
Just treat me with the same respect and make it an event we can all enjoy and feel welcome to participate in.

BGIII 06-22-2004 09:17 AM

by knotpropr :bunny:

Love it or leave it, but enjoy the show, it does help the sport! There are always smaller poker runs if anyone is intimidated by the big guys!
WW - looks like you better start looking for some smaller runs for that backyard hotrod. :eek: :eek: :eek: :crazy: :crazy: :D :D

Downtown42 06-22-2004 09:19 AM

I have to admit OL was the show. And, I am disappointed in the Fountain showings.
OL was dominant at Sarasota as well.

The big poker runs need to stay. I think most on this board and performance boating do "drop 'ye jaws" at these events, or even sampling the pics.

Yeah, the guy that has 400-600k in his boat will be second fiddle as far as investment is concerned, but that is America. God Bless and f@ck Ala.

My comments are all in fun and it is great to get a wide variety of opinions on the matters that lurk up. If I had cash to bankroll to be King, I would have my name on the ballot sheet.

Let the big cowboy hats race in the 1st group and watch 'em go if you can.