Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
County is trying to force me to take a boating course...WTF? >

County is trying to force me to take a boating course...WTF?

Notices

County is trying to force me to take a boating course...WTF?

Old 06-25-2004, 08:00 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: County is trying to force me to take a boating course...WTF?

Besides, there are so many signs with different rules, that ALL look alike, and are so faded, you cant read them 'til your 10 feet from them, Are we supposed to slow down, pull over, and read them all????????????
Old 06-25-2004, 08:05 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rchevelle71
Are we supposed to slow down, pull over, and read them all????????????

Rick, you would have to slow down???????????????? Just how slow do you read??????????????
Old 06-25-2004, 08:28 AM
Performance Boat Center
VIP Member

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

I gusee I have to be on my best behavior for another year..
I got a speeding ticket last weekend...39 in a 25 on the ICW in Hallandale...
Yes, right in front of my place.. All of my neighbors were watching as we floated by with the Broward Sheriff tied to the side....

Same thing. He let me go for $50, and no points on the DL. (And he let me go on the no fire ext, no flares things too...)-(not my boat- I was bringing it north for a customer that traded it in)

Now- How am I supposed to make it through July 4th weekend without a ticket? Doesn't everyone get one that weekend???
954-809-8739
Wright Performance, MTI, Cigarette, Sunsation
Old 06-25-2004, 08:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 50 feet thing is BS.

Telling you that the fine is the only repercussion is serious BS.

The no wake sign means no wake beyond this point. Not "start thinking about not making a wake when you reach this sign."
You need to go no more than 5 or 6 mph in a no wake zone. The no wake zone starts at the sign. Do whatever you need to do to not be going faster than 5 or 6 mph when you pass the sign. You will get used to how long it takes to get off plane before you reach the sign.
You can argue about the validity of the placement of the sign if you want.... but a no wake is a NO wake.

I still think they lied to you about the repercussions.
Old 06-25-2004, 08:44 AM
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I got 2 speeding tickets in a year a few years back.. I also got the same letter. I never took it... nothing happened.
Old 06-25-2004, 08:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by cuda
Rick, you would have to slow down???????????????? Just how slow do you read??????????????
Actually, I can pretty much stay WOT, and not break any laws.....LOL, Just Joking.

Actually I am usually following someone so I have plenty of time to see them pull back on the throttles, and use the no-wake to catch up...... a little.

Well, yeah, I read pretty slow, and I have figured out the places where I run the most, but they screwed me all up with that Nov. 15- April 15 Manatee zone crap last fall, the spots I was used to running all of a sudden were no-wake!!!!
Old 06-25-2004, 09:17 AM
Registered

Thumbs down Re: County is trying to force me to take a boating course...WTF?

Originally Posted by CASH BAR
Phantom, I'm not against the course. I just don't care for the strong-arm tactics of the county.
I've talked to the first officer many time(he loves the 'gun) and I think I've gotten used to the water here again.
I don't think I have a problem with my operation. I just was used to running on a big lake with no real hassles for navigation.

I had thought about a course to reduce my Ins. anyway.
I agree with you here. You should take the course when you're ready and not the county. I don't know what the specifics of your case is but sometimes the state will make you take a course that is approved by them. I was told by a friend that the states course was 95% alchohol & drugs and 5% boating. Total BS.

Roby
Old 06-25-2004, 09:26 AM
ursus

Originally Posted by rchevelle71
Are we supposed .... read them all????????????
If you are in unfamiliar territory then YES ! and err on the side of caution until you are familiar with the area its rules, saftey hazzards etc.

Our sewall says stay out 30 feet, What BS huh, of course theres big friggen boulders ( like the size of a Pickup) just under water against it so if new to the area and you didn't know this you might have wanted to read the sign, your choice I guess.

Old 06-25-2004, 09:40 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ursus
If you are in unfamiliar territory then YES ! and err on the side of caution until you are familiar with the area its rules, saftey hazzards etc.

Our sewall says stay out 30 feet, What BS huh, of course theres big friggen boulders ( like the size of a Pickup) just under water against it so if new to the area and you didn't know this you might have wanted to read the sign, your choice I guess.
I agree, and do personally err on the side of caution,

I just wish they had a more logical way of saying what they mean, kinda like red means no-wake, yellow means 25 MPH, and green means push the sticks into the dash, and try to break them off..........

NOT, every sign white with orange writing, so small, and faded, that we have to pull up to the sign to figure out if it is a true no-wake,

or a 25MPH unless its between Nov. 15 and April 15th. or

No-Wake, unless you are in a 21 foot or smaller boat engaged in watersports activities, or................

you get the idea

Why Not colored backgrounds with more info on them, and then if we decide we want detail we can stop, and read further.
Old 06-25-2004, 09:47 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Greg,

Sorry to hear this bro. Fax me the notice, I'll look at the statutes and see if there is a way out.......... Just a little info here for all. In my experience, the water guys rarely show up to court. It is a hassle, but worth it to fight the ticket, especially if there is a valid two ticket rule. I've never heard of this rule, but again, I mainly do civil law, not criminal law. I'll see what I can find. But, Marine Patrol ticketed me during Memorial Day weekend for being on plane before the sign as I'm coming out of my neighborhood. Nice guy, told me they had complaints about boaters from owners in the neighborhood and they had to act upon them. But, winked at me and told me they never show up to court. I fought it, at trial, they didn't show, in fact the State Attorney stated they called and said they were going to a seminar and couldn't be present. Just a thought.

Quick Reply: County is trying to force me to take a boating course...WTF?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.