Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
County is trying to force me to take a boating course...WTF? >

County is trying to force me to take a boating course...WTF?

Notices

County is trying to force me to take a boating course...WTF?

Old 06-24-2004, 02:08 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts
Default County is trying to force me to take a boating course...WTF?

I got 2 tickets in successive weekends when I first got the 'GUN. I got one for going less than 50ft. from a seawall, the second because I didn't come off plane BEFORE the sign.

Cops were okay, said no license pts., no record, just $50 bucks before 30 days.

I mail both tickets off separately with the $. Now 32 days after he second ticket I get a letter from the county stating that by pleading guilty(paying) the second offense I have to take(at my expense)a safe boating course. The reasoning is that I received two convictions in a 12 month period.

If I had been aware I would have fought 1 or both tickets. I think it's BS that they can wait 'til you pay to tell you.

Any ideas would be great.

Oh, d-hlaw, phknlwyr, thedonz, a little help?
Old 06-24-2004, 02:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: County is trying to force me to take a boating course...WTF?

Actually.......taking a course wouldn't be a bad idea if you got two tickets like those within a week of each other. It could only help you to not get more tickets and run safer. Just a thought....and not meant in a bad way.
Old 06-24-2004, 02:13 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WHAT THE F$%^

Never heard of that, although I have my safe boating cert. from CT, its the law to operate up there.

Will they let you do it online??

Here is a link to the FL safe boatiing online course.

http://www.boat-ed.com/fl/
Old 06-24-2004, 02:20 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

Phantom, I'm not against the course. I just don't care for the strong-arm tactics of the county.
I've talked to the first officer many time(he loves the 'gun) and I think I've gotten used to the water here again.
I don't think I have a problem with my operation. I just was used to running on a big lake with no real hassles for navigation.

I had thought about a course to reduce my Ins. anyway.
Old 06-24-2004, 02:20 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by CASH BAR
I got 2 tickets in successive weekends when I first got the 'GUN. I got one for going less than 50ft. from a seawall, the second because I didn't come off plane BEFORE the sign.

Cops were okay, said no license pts., no record, just $50 bucks before 30 days.

I mail both tickets off separately with the $. Now 32 days after he second ticket I get a letter from the county stating that by pleading guilty(paying) the second offense I have to take(at my expense)a safe boating course. The reasoning is that I received two convictions in a 12 month period.

If I had been aware I would have fought 1 or both tickets. I think it's BS that they can wait 'til you pay to tell you.

Any ideas would be great.

Oh, d-hlaw, phknlwyr, thedonz, a little help?
This is true, I was with Greg when he got the 2nd ticket. He isn't a safe boater . Just kidding Greg...That's ridiculous!!! So anyone up for boating this weekend .

LS JR.
Old 06-24-2004, 02:24 PM
Registered

Our countries are forced into this program because of to many deaths from to many stupid people. Our insurance is the same.

For example, if two people die at a traffic intersection, that only had stop signs, then the next thing you know, there is a set of lights there.

Our governments have to show they are doing there job in trying to reduce incidents! What better way to increase safe boating than with a separate license program, thats next!!
Old 06-24-2004, 07:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here is a little florida law for ya

2)(a) Application for marking inland lakes and state waters and any navigable waters under concurrent jurisdiction of the Coast Guard and the division shall be made to the division, accompanied by a map locating the approximate placement of markers, a list of the markers to be placed, a statement of the specification of the markers, a statement of the purpose of marking, and the names of persons responsible for the placement and upkeep of such markers. The division will assist the applicant to secure the proper permission from the Coast Guard where required, make such investigations as needed, and issue a permit. The division shall furnish the applicant with the information concerning the system adopted and the rules existing for placing and maintaining the markers. The division shall keep records of all approvals given and counsel with individuals, counties, municipalities, motorboat clubs, or other groups desiring to mark waterways for safety and navigation purposes in Florida.

(b) No person or municipality, county, or other governmental entity shall place any safety or navigation markers in, on, or over the waters or shores of the state without a permit from the division.

one thing you may want to do is request a copy of all permits filed for the markers to see if they are all correct and up to date, if not it may be grounds for dissmissal.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:02 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

It may cut your insurance rate when you finish the course too. It did mine.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:03 PM
Registered

Greg,
When you got the first, 50' from shore, you should of had them mearsure it with a tape measure to "prove" it. Distances are SO misleading while on the water. Unless you were really close to the seawall. As far as the second, you are SUPPOSE to slow down BEFORE the sign. can't tell you how many times the SeaRay has been rocked at Delray Harbor with people running at "minium wake". Sorry buddy, I'll give you the first, but the second, I agree with. Call me sometime.

Robert
Old 06-24-2004, 09:51 PM
Registered

I still say both offences are CHICKIN CHIT....It appears the law in your area is gunning for you.....The dont worry about it approach cause it wont give you the points, and yada yadda yadda is so you'll swallow it easier...What he doesn't tell you is that your insurance co could pull this information prior to a renewal. Most of the signs that warn you to come off plane are placed well away of the point were they want to make sure you are off plane and your wake wont be an issue,provided you shut down at the sign and not 100 yards inn. The seawall issue,well I wont even go there. Sounds like someone is using you to show(the brass) their getting some activity on the water.

Quick Reply: County is trying to force me to take a boating course...WTF?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.