Active Thunder Flips in LIS

Notices

Active Thunder Flips in LIS

Old 06-27-2004, 07:54 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Exclamation Active Thunder Flips in LIS

At around 5:00 today, a 37' Active Thunder barrel-rolled while entering Branford Harbor. Sources say the boat "must have been doin' ninety". Although this report is unconfirmed, the boat DID flip in a channel, laden with pleasureboaters....a popular performance boating magazine recently stated that we should begin to police ourselves. Maybe this is a wake-up call.
If this is the boat I think it is.....the owner's training was minimal....90 in a channel????..WTF???
Old 06-27-2004, 07:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Default Re: Active Thunder Flips in LIS

UPDATE: 4 of the 5 passengers were sent to the hospital with injuries.
Old 06-27-2004, 08:00 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Well at least it wasn't a Cig!! LOL. Sorry, I hope everyone is ok .
Old 06-27-2004, 08:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Christian Gott
At around 5:00 today, a 37' Active Thunder barrel-rolled while entering Branford Harbor. Sources say the boat "must have been doin' ninety". Although this report is unconfirmed, the boat DID flip in a channel, laden with pleasureboaters....a popular performance boating magazine recently stated that we should begin to police ourselves. Maybe this is a wake-up call.
If this is the boat I think it is.....the owner's training was minimal....90 in a channel????..WTF???
First, I hope all are okay and safe. Second, what other people envision as the speed traveled by a "CIGARETTE BOAT" is usually a far cry from reality. And YES, you ARE correct, we MUST drive responsibly with due regard for the safety of others at ALL times!
Old 06-27-2004, 08:03 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 790 Likes on 257 Posts

Oh Sh@t,
I hope they all went on precautionary terms. I hate to heaar this type of thing. Not good for the industry, not good for the willingness of people to go with.

Thoughts and prayers.

Greg
Old 06-27-2004, 08:16 PM
Registered
VIP Member
VIP Member

... and here we go again.... Same stuff a few weeks ago on a different thread. We all started talking about it. Talked about our driving and the public preception. Poker Runs, Fun runs and boat today just go to damn fast. Insurance rates and speed limits. I said it then and I say it again, people need to be trained before they get out there and fly around. We need to police ourselves, which means telling folks when they go over the top that they are over the top. etc. Licenses as proof that training has been taken and passed. The thread got real ugly on ended up getting poofed. Make sure that you have all the facts first by the way.
Old 06-27-2004, 08:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

If this is the boat I think it is, is was good for 80mph. The Sound is a perfect place for a boat like that. Not so sure about the harbor, though. We had our fireworks display last night, and there were quite a few boats still loitering...plus, today was beautiful, busy and crowded...not the best choice of places to be "showing what she can do".

Good point with the "facts". I don't want things to get ugly, it's not my point....just a plug for all to be safe, and doin' it in the right place...
C

Last edited by Christian Gott; 06-27-2004 at 08:29 PM.
Old 06-27-2004, 08:27 PM
btrig

Four hurt when boat capsizes

(Branford-WTNH, June 27, 2004 Updated 6:22 PM) _ Four people were taken to the hospital when the speedboat they were in capsized in Branford Harbor.

The boat went under in the harbor near Parker Memorial Park just before 5:00.

A witness to the accident says the boat made a sharp turn as it entered the harbor and went under.

A total of five people were in the boat. Four of them were taken to Yale-New Haven Hospital. Two of the injuries were believed to be serious.

A fifth person refused medical treatment.

No names have been released.
There is also a video showing the boat partially submerged.

Old 06-27-2004, 08:29 PM
Registered
VIP Member
VIP Member

I hope all are ok....
Old 06-27-2004, 08:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

We saw it. The flip was in the mouth of the channel, where an alternate approach meets the channel, a very busy place at 4-5 on a Sunday.

After SeaTow and the police took a crack at moving the boat, a work barge was summoned for the recovery effort.

Quick Reply: Active Thunder Flips in LIS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.