Notices

38' cobra

Old 06-28-2004, 04:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 38' cobra

one of my friends in Italy own a 38' cobra race boat apparently built in 1978,same as Joel Halpern's boat. the boat is now powered by two BPM V12 engines but seems to have been also used with staggered V8. the drives are #3 SSM.We use this boat in the Powerboat P1 endurance championship.
Please, could anyone help us with the history of COBRA, how long have they build boats, how many 38' race boat have been built,what power,etc
because I dont have any information or seen another boat like this.

Thanks for your help.
Old 06-28-2004, 06:28 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 38' cobra

If its the cobra im thinking about, they were built in NJ. decent boats but had finaincial trouble in the 90's i think and screwed some people out of money.
thats jstu what i heard. i never did any business with them. they had a 30 cat cc sportfish out that was pretty cool.
Old 06-29-2004, 04:49 PM
Ed
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: 38' cobra

Lost In Boston...Wrong Cobra Boat Company. The 38' Cobra in question was built in Ft. Lauderdale, Fl. by a company called "Performer Boats" on the 17th street causeway(which you would not recognize today)back in the late seventies. This company was owned by a renowned drug trafficer of that era. When he disappeared for many, many years(later to reappear in the nineties), the molds were shifted over to another convicted trafficer in the mid eighties & are being produced today under a different name. Performer also built a shorter 32' Cobra that had a good following. Your 38' Cobra could be the one that was originally built with BPM 12's that was owned by a Ft. Lauderdale resident for many years. Performer built only a handful of the 38's. Most were staggered engine installations. Hope this helps. Ed