Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Tempest .. anyone familar with?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/82382-tempest-anyone-familar.html)

cattlovver 06-29-2004 10:26 PM

Tempest .. anyone familar with??

Looking at buying a boat (imagine that!) - husband found one he likes but I've never heard of the 'brand' and wondered if anyone was familiar with them - Tempest. This particular boat is and ex-coast guard boat - which I would think means its build of decent quality... but one can just never know with our gov't! :rolleyes: The boat is 44' - has a small cabin and sitting area. Our main plan other than just bumming around here would be going to the Bahamas and back a few times a year with the kids. Currently have a 24' SeaCraft which he takes over there - I prefer to fly :drink: . But with this boat ... ie toilet etc I'd go with him over instead of flying. It seems solid built but wondered if anyone knew of some horror story about them or if they are just great boats that never became poplular? It has two CAT 3208 (375 hp) with very low hours and they look pretty clean. Still waiting on test drive (its on a trailer right now!) - so any info (good or bad) would be greatly appreciated!! :drink: :D :cool:

super termoli 06-30-2004 05:05 AM

Re: Tempest .. anyone familar with??

Tempest are pretty good boats... They made a 42 and a 60 express cruiser models and then made a really funky-looking 74 or so yacht. I am familiar with the 60 and I can say that they were well put together. Their specificity is their drive system, called the T-Torque drive which is a fixed shaft surface drive, sort of like a less sophisticated Trimax drive. Nevertheless, the advantages are very similar: very few moving parts for reliability and surface-piercing for performance. The 60 was fitted with twin 3412 CAT diesels which produced 1000hp. at that time (circa 1990) and this was good for approx. 50 mph.

I believe that the 44 you're looking at is derived from the 42 model and specially made for professional use. It should have the T-Torque drives whose reliability is the main reason this boat appealed to the CG. The CAT 3208 engines are also very reliable and do not pose any particular problems in the long run. The only problem I've had with 3208s is with the injectors which tend to break more often than usual. I don't know whether this has been solved by replacement parts but make sure you have spare injectors aboard.

Thus, the boat itself should be solid, structurally and mechanically. What's more worrying is the fact that this is an ex-CG boat. Remember that these guys go out when we go back to the marina, when it gets real rough out there. They subject their boats to whatever it takes to get the job done. Which means that they beat the hell out of them. In other words, check the boat very carefully...

super termoli 06-30-2004 05:16 AM

If that's the Tempest you're talking about because there were (are) several boatbuilders called Tempest...

cattlovver 06-30-2004 11:09 AM

Yes I beleive that is the boat I am speaking of- I found some 42's for sale and the layout is very similar - thanks for the information! Most helpful. I had also thought of the 'abuse' it mayhave taken with the GC - visually it doesn't show ! Will have it surveyed for what its worth. You sound pretty familar with the CAT 3208 - hubby was wondering what type of gph he might expect from them at various speeds ... we have only had outboards and I/O's merc's in the past. Any info would be great! just to get an idea :eek:
the motors only read as having less than 150 hours on them. but we have yet to speak with the owner to confirm - but should be in contact with him today.
jb

Stormrider 06-30-2004 02:38 PM

The 42 is a Euro type cruiser w/ wide beam.
My dad had the 44 and it is VERY different from the 42.
The engine box is in the middle of the cockpit, separating the 2 seating
areas. The windshield is faux, with a sunpad between it and the helm.
The boat had the T Torques and 3208s. Was not fast... maybe 40-42.
Very heavy. I was not impressed with it.

Stormrider 06-30-2004 02:41 PM

This is an ad for the 44 Riviera.

And this is the 42 sport yacht.

abolfaz 10-03-2005 09:16 PM

The 42 was the old italian baglietto. The 44 is a stretched 41 corsa. I have one with 3208's and the t-torque. Its a P.O.S., as far as the 60 is concerned its much the same, half assed together. To give you an idea the last one that sold, 60', 3412 cats etc only sold for $85k. It was a balsa cored hull, where it wasn't delaminated, the core was soaked with water. Junk.

You can get them cheap though.

WildSafaris 10-03-2005 09:26 PM

There is a member on here .. Think his name is Tempest38.

I have never heard anything bad about those boats.

abolfaz 10-03-2005 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by WildSafaris
There is a member on here .. Think his name is Tempest38.

I have never heard anything bad about those boats.

If your in Miami then I can show you two, a 44 and a 60 that are an accurate representation of how these boats were built. The 60 currently is out of the water with pieces of the bottom falling off. Ask anybody who has a tempest with the t-torque drive what they think about the boat.

WildSafaris 10-03-2005 10:07 PM

Is it the same "tempest" boat as Tempest38 has?

i.e. the same manufacture?