Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Manditory use of PFD's...Get ready (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/82424-manditory-use-pfds-get-ready.html)

zzzzzz 06-30-2004 06:12 PM

Re: Manditory use of PFD's...Get ready

Oh yea I forgot don't make any noise with that Harley that you pay 300 a year taxes on or that $100,000 plus Powerboat you have it might (will) offend somebody OK i'm really done now Thank you

clearcut3 06-30-2004 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by John NY
It's ridiculous to require across the board wearing of PFD's for adults. This would slam boat sales for sure.
John

I agree :blaster: :hothead:

Originally Posted by hugetime1
boy that will make for some stupid looking tans!!!!!!!

They would be funny looking....not to mention not seeing all the hot chicks :(

Hopefully the boat manufacturers will get together and fight this if they try to push regulation any further.

Steve_H 06-30-2004 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by zzzzzz
Just more governmental regulations B.S. let's see no smoking,helmet laws,seat belt laws, emmisions regulations,special licenses,ect, ect, and it's all insurance driven and so the MAN can have an excuse to pull you over. Its getting to be a little too much now.OK I feel better

more liberal do-gooder crap :hothead: and job justification.

enticer 06-30-2004 06:56 PM

Well, the way I look at it is................you allow motorcyclists not wear helmets....so if they don't wear brain buckets, WHY should I have to wear a life vest or even a safety belt in my car. I think I can survive better than a cyclist in a boat and car than on a bike. Just my $.02

Von Bongo 06-30-2004 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by craig223
Coast Guard statistics show that 750 boaters died in 2002. Eighty-five percent of those who drowned were not wearing PFDs, even though in many cases, PFDs were aboard. These statistics have been consistent from year to year and Coast Guard statistics show that approximately 450 lives could be saved each year if the victims wore PFDs. The Safety Board wants to build on this information and other data available to evaluate the safety benefits of mandatory wearing of PFDs on recreational boating.

76.459% of all statistics are made up :eureka:

Strip Poker 388 06-30-2004 11:13 PM

At least drowning is suppose to be a pleasant death.More goverment BS :crazy:

also The only time I wear my seat belt is in the race car or at a road block.

tomtbone1993 06-30-2004 11:24 PM

I always make my beer wear a koozie, for its own protection!!

The Menace 07-01-2004 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by craig223
Coast Guard statistics show that 750 boaters died in 2002. Eighty-five percent of those who drowned were not wearing PFDs, even though in many cases, PFDs were aboard. [email protected]

These guys ever stop to think that a lot of these may not have been or weren't accidents?

A local incident many years ago had mom and pop (very elderly and out of shape) out fishing in a small boat. Pop supposively dropped his wallet in the drink and dove in to retrieve it. He never came up until he was dragged up, wallet in pocket. So he dove in, found it and stuck it back in is pocket while on the bottom at 25 feet?
Police investigated looking for the perverbial shoe print on his A** from being kicked off the boat.

Police could never prove anything.

LakeRacer 07-01-2004 07:35 AM

Here is a link to another thread that has good info from BoatCop (Sheriff, LaPaz County, AZ)

Mandatory Education and PFD's

C_Spray 07-01-2004 07:41 AM

Hopefully, they will do a little more research during this forum and notice that most of the drownings are the result of falling overboard from or capsizing small boats like canoes, jon boats and aluminum fishing boats. Like PWC's, it makes sense to always wear a PFD under those conditions. Once you get into a larger boat with more freeboard and stabilty, the odds of winding up in the drink involuntarily diminish substantially.

If I recall correctly, I think something like 50% of all boating fatalities involve booze. That one's already being addressed.