KRC38MRCC Marine Cassette receiver with disc control
Pair of 3-way KFC 1689ie 6 1/2" speakers
Pair of 12" KFC W3009 subs
Marine remote
And 2 sets of wiring packages.

Question?
Are two amps too much?
I want to power only the rear speakers, the new 6 1/2's and the subs
The front speakers in the cabin I want standard power.
I am not sure on were to put the subs as of yet.
I have an idea, but not sure if I want to cut into the upholstery
Thought about a box under each front seat. Mounted to the floor with the thumping happening right at ass level

Thought about scratching the subs and getting a pair of 6x9"s to install by the front seats, but not sure on amount of room and availability to cut into the compartments there

Also just thought about the speaker and one amp with the new receiver.

Only thing that is wrong with current setup is the deck died. And its stock

Last question, can I skip one amp and run a triway using the one amp to supply two speakers and then the triway to power ONE sub? If I did this I would upgrade to one amp but larger ratings, like maybe 450w
Old 07-05-2004, 08:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Thinking of a stereo upgrade

Hey there Fast Boat,
OK first what kinda of boat is this equipment being installed into? Is it a very wet or kinda dry boat. You can PM that info to me if you like and Ill write up a bill of materials for you and you can go get the gear from where ever you want. I'll keep the budget issues in mind but let me know exactly what you want to spend.

Damian
Old 07-05-2004, 11:20 AM
Registered

Go find someone who has redone their stereo, and has old equipment sitting on the shelves. I did that with mine, and including all new wiring (power, ground, speaker) for about 120. I only paid 75 for the sub, alpine deck and infinity 6x9's in boxes.

Remeber, most 6x9's are mids and highs, you need a sub for the lows. Look at the Bazooka tubes, just be sure to solder the wires inside, they are arent that hard to put in a compartment.
Old 07-05-2004, 12:50 PM
Registered

Just no solder please..not in a marine environment...use a hard terminal connection of your choice but solder has a hard time holding up in saltwater...Tubes can be a great application in boats like cats under 30'. Tuck them under the dash and forward of the foot rest and its perfect. Marine style subs, like Clarion, Bazooka, etc have limited power handling (they don't use more powerful voice coils) capabilities say 400W Max usually not to bad for a smaller cockpit config. You can probably get away with 2 and rock along just fine. Even thought they are considered "free-air" if you can enclose them with a sealed box it helps quite a bit. No ports or anything like that just a nice tightly sealed box made out of starboard ought to do it. I have seen installers do a ton of Cigarette like that and starboard seems to make a nice seal. There are a ton of other options available to you if you are on a budget. Coustic makes a great 10" sub. They don't call it Marine but it performs better in a marine environment than the best marine gear including MbQuart..(just an engineers opinion)...and best of all its UNDER $75 and has 400 W RMS and an 800W Max with a much better voice coil. If you can mount the amps in a dry place than take a look at the Audiobahn Intake series. Like a 4002 or 8002 for the sub and then pick a 4 or 2 channel for your choice. These amps are awesome at great price and best of all the boards are coated and they have COOLING fans built in. Perfect for marine..
You can get them in a variety of places for boats like doller offshore or national or American offshore. anyway any more questions just PM.

Damian