Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Exhaust grime (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/82447-exhaust-grime.html)

Active Mike 07-01-2004 12:19 AM

Exhaust grime

What works the best on getting the black exhaust dirt off of the back of a boat? I don't want to have to use something that you have to ware a full bio hazard suit.
Thanks.

Jonas 07-01-2004 12:21 AM

Re: Exhaust grime

i want to know too,, great ? sorry to step on your thread but i have yet to find anything easy

olemissalum 07-01-2004 02:03 AM

SNO BOL, a toilet cleaner you can get at the grocery store worked good for me in the past.

OldSchool 07-01-2004 06:22 AM

If you have a good coat of wax on it, the easiest thing to do is wipe it down with a towel as soon as you pull it onto the trailer (before it dries).

Works for us!! :)

BillR 07-01-2004 06:25 AM

Black streak remover works instantly. Spray on or spray alot on wash mitt and comes right off.

97BossHammer 07-01-2004 07:00 AM

Here's what I've found. After each run I'd spray simple green on the transom and remove the black soot. Well it'll strip your wax so here's what I've been doing lately. Wax the transom....go out and have fun, while I'm out if I notice any I'll go ahead and wipe it, or splash it off. Once I pull boat out....if I notice any I just wipe it down...the wax will protect it for the most part and it'll come right off with a good wipe down.

OldSchool 07-01-2004 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by 97BossHammer
Here's what I've found. After each run I'd spray simple green on the transom and remove the black soot. Well it'll strip your wax so here's what I've been doing lately. Wax the transom....go out and have fun, while I'm out if I notice any I'll go ahead and wipe it, or splash it off. Once I pull boat out....if I notice any I just wipe it down...the wax will protect it for the most part and it'll come right off with a good wipe down.

Hey, that's a good idea. :eureka: :D :D

BonnieOutlaw 07-01-2004 09:23 AM

We wipe it off each time we pull the boat off too. The trick is to do it as soon as possible (while the boat is still wet), because it literally comes off with a towel and very little effort on your part. I'm all about minimizing effort. ;)

pm203 07-01-2004 10:23 AM

The best stuff in the world is a product called Roll-Off.I used it on a yellow Topgun transom and it worked incredible.Water activates it after you spray it on,the grime dissoves instantly and the best part is that it leaves a smooth coating similar to wax that makes the next cleanup easier.There are alot of copycat products.The manufacturer is Bell Chemical.You can reach them at 561-391-8826.You wont be dissapointed.

LIOPA 07-01-2004 10:40 AM

SIMPLE GREEN or ZEP Citrus Cleaner ( HOME DEPOT ) diluted 50% with water in a spray bottle. Keep a good coat of quality wax on the transom area too.