Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Who makes the best blower/supercharger? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/82486-who-makes-best-blower-supercharger.html)

TeamSaris 02-25-2006 04:35 PM

Re: Who makes the best blower/supercharger?

WHIPPLE!!!!!!! :cool: Nothin runs, sounds and looks like a whipple! :cool:

tomcat 02-28-2006 05:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a generic view of things.

bob 02-28-2006 06:02 PM

If the graphs represent the same basic motor with the respective supercharger's max safe boost then give me the lighter colored representation which starts around 600 at 3500. At 3500 that is all I need and it does pretty good on the upper end. So when do we get the details :D

ActiveFun 02-28-2006 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by tomcat
Here's a generic view of things.

How are we supposed to know which line represents which blower??

Whipple Charged 02-28-2006 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by tomcat
I love this question... and I hate this question too. So many variables and potential contradictions. But here we go.

The best blower system needs to:

1) Give the greatest HP/speed gains
2) Not blow up your engine
3) Give your drive a chance to live
4) Be good value for the money
5) Be easy to install on nearly stock engines
6) Look good!

Sticking to nearly stock engines makes things more affordable and easier to install, but it eliminates purpose built, big $$$ blower engines with PSI or Quad rotor screw compressors. The contest is between Roots, Whipple and Centrifugal, using the criteria listed above.

IMHO, only the centrifugal blowers can make the big HP numbers on nearly stock engines. They have high compressor efficiency and the way the blower is mounted on the engine leaves room for a huge intercooler. This is very important because detonation is the real limit to how much HP you can make, and the coolest possible intake temperatures are needed.

Dean Nickerson gets 950 HP @ 6000 RPM from a Vortech V-4 blower and a single carb on a 498 CID engine with ported GM cast iron heads and a small solid roller cam. Before installing an Rtech supercooler he was making 850 HP. The extra 100 HP with the supercooler is partly due to cooling but also to much lower restriction to air flow. The same Rtech system on a stock HP500 will make 800 HP @ 5600 RPM. This is affordable $/hp. Dean is still using his stock Bravo drive, although I don't see how it can last much longer.

You could make 950 HP with an intercooled 14-71 on the same engine but you would need much better aftermarket heads. The better heads compensate for the lower efficiency of the roots blower and the small roots intercooler. But the heads would cost more money and the Roots system would be more likely to wreck your drive. The single Whipple has great bottom end torque but you can't make this much HP with a single Whipple, and the Quad rotor would cost more money.

As far as looks go I'm biased. I think the supercooler looks much better than the usual plumbing found on centrifugals, but I know many prefer the look of the roots blower.

That's my $.02. You can easily change my conclusion by changing the emphasis you place on each of the above variables; that's what makes the question so difficult to answer. Any time the magazines try to approach this issue, there is a lot of such debate and usually "everybody is a winner".

There's only one thing for sure...you need a blower! :D

Tom

Tom,
To be clear, the "single" Whipple has made over 1100hp. Bob Teague sales his TCM900EFI which produces OVER 900hp, this has been available for nearly 2 years. Our new 305 supercharger lineup can produce nearly 1800hp so a "single" unit can certainly pump enough airflow to make the HP.

As for the best blower, every type of forced induction has it's niche and could possibly be considered "the best" in a certain field. The turbo will almost always give you the most peak horsepower, the screw compressor will give you the broadest power band.

As for the PSI questions, the quad rotor was not capable of the airflow levels required for the 1500+hp when the 2.3 liter compressors were the only ones available. 3 years ago, we released the 3.3 Liter quad rotor and since that time, many of the largest, most recognizied engine builders have chosen them over the PSI because they make more torque and more hp at lower boost levels, not to mention distribution, idle quality and fitment. We made a 9.8 liter race supercharger which Racecrafters used on his motors, this re-wrote the record books in drag racing and was king for a good 6 years. But with rules and other companies bending the rules, the latest PSI offered racers in the 60lb boost range better performance. In the marine application, the 980 is far superior to the PSI, as well as our quad rotor, but we don't make the SC anymore.

Ratman, Pat Austin used our screw compressors up until their last season of racing.

Thanks,
Dustin

ActiveFun 02-28-2006 07:22 PM

Correct me if Im wrong but it seems like HP500's with "Procharger" type superchargers blow up much more than a 540 with a 871?? Is there a safe type of Procharger to add to a HP500 with the correct gaskets?

GLH 02-28-2006 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by SR-24
Who makes the best blower?

From what I saw she ranks way up there...

http://www.netidor.com/pamela-anderson-17.jpg

betitbig 02-28-2006 11:47 PM

Lets see... Let me think... Aah can't remember right of hand.

SCARABJ 03-01-2006 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by ActiveFun
Correct me if Im wrong but it seems like HP500's with "Procharger" type superchargers blow up much more than a 540 with a 871?? Is there a safe type of Procharger to add to a HP500 with the correct gaskets?

no your correct... its because the setup was never correct..people put procharger/vortech on hp500 and blowthru/pressurize the carb (something it was never meant to do) with bad results.. the basic tuning advice they give you on carbs is weak at best!! if anyone with out allot of knowledge of carbs try this,,, it WILL end with bad results.. now EFI is a whole different setup much easier..

tomcat 03-01-2006 08:48 AM

Hi Dustin:

I tried to be very clear in my original posts from 2004. To compare blowers fairly you need to compare HP figures achieved on similar or preferably identical engines. On a nearly stock 502 the single 3.3 will not make 950 HP. The best installation I have seen of the 3.3 on HP500EFI engines is by Strip Poker and his dyno results are on record here. He made ~850 @ 10 psi with a bigger cam and ported heads, and I think that's great. On this same thread Mike reported 1067 HP, but that's on a custom built 540 with great cylinder heads and cam.

Vortech claims 1100 HP for the V-4 J trim blower that we use in our supercharging systems, but we recommend stepping up to a larger X or XX trim if your engine needs that much air. We will just have to wait and see how much HP the new big single Vortech as used by Keith Eickert on Bill P's "Ballastic" will make. After that there's always the twin blower system if you really need more capacity.

Turbo, centrifugal, screw, roots...that's the order of HP at high RPM. At low RPM it's screw, roots, centrifugal, turbo. Anyone trying to decide which way to go needs to consider the shape of these curves and relate them to their needs. There's a blower type to suit everybody, but as was mentioned by several previous posts, more torque at low RPM is not always necessary or beneficial.

Tom