Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Will bravo props fit a TRS drive ? >

Will bravo props fit a TRS drive ?

Notices

Will bravo props fit a TRS drive ?

Old 07-03-2004, 09:26 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Will bravo props fit a TRS drive ?

MY buddy just redid a 40' excaliber hawk. It came with cleaver style 3 blades and they suck !!!! The boat won't stay on plane under 3800 rpms ! But from there up it runs ok , He says from 5000 up to 5200 it pulls like it shifted into high gear ! He has a set of mirage props for a bravo at his shop .If they fit we'll try them tomorrow .

Also ,anyone with an 40' Excalibur Hawk , what props do you run with what power? He has healthy 454's . probably under 500 hp . Thanks !
Old 07-03-2004, 10:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Will bravo props fit a TRS drive ?

They will fit. You might need an insert kit (my term), but they will fit. I've run cleavers, mirages, and bravos on my TRS's. I'd guess either a 21 or a 23 pitch marage for that boat with those engines. Have fun.
Old 07-03-2004, 10:28 PM
Registered

thanks chart ! What do you mean by insert kit ? Just the thrust washer and nut or is the spline different ? Thanks !
Old 07-03-2004, 10:44 PM
Registered

The splines should be the same (at least mine were). My marage had the splines included in the hub, whereas the bravo required a splined insert because it had no splines included in it. As my boat is yet to hit the water due to reupholstry work, and my memory is weak, take the following with a grain of salt. I think my bravo's have a square center, and you slip an insert in it that has a square OD and a round splined ID. The local boat parts store stocks them.

Both used the same thrust washer and nut and retainer and castled thingamajig that you pound the retainer into to prevent the nut from comming off.

To sum it up: the splines should be the same (at least on mine) but if your marage does not have splines, you may need to get a splined adapter.

Heck, I'll go look now, and if it's different, I'll post back.
Old 07-03-2004, 10:52 PM
Registered

On my bravo's, the prop has 4 splines that go half way through the hub, and the hole is considerably larger than the propshaft diameter. An insert that has 4 ridges on it drops in the hub, and that insert has the splines in it that fits the splines on the prop shaft. the insert also has the castled ridges on the end that are used to help keep the nut in place.

IF your marage has no splines in it, you may need a similar insert. But, my marage and the cleaver both have the splines in the center of the prop. ONly the bravo needed the additional insert.
Old 07-04-2004, 06:38 AM
Registered

Thanks guys ! I am just going to assume it will work ,grab them ,and head to the shore for my first boat ride this year ! IF not we will have to put up with the cleavers today ......

Happy 4th to you all !!

Thank you ,Joe
Old 07-04-2004, 08:14 AM
Registered

Thanks Too Old. the aft adapter, nut, and tab washer are what I was referring to. If my Bravo's have a delrin sleeve, it is pressed into the hub and I'm unaware of it. Which may be true of most things....
Old 07-05-2004, 08:41 PM
Registered

Thanks again ...
The mirage props fit right on the trs drive. don't know actual speed but with 23'' props the boat had more then enough power ,and also slipped a lot getting going ... I think we need to try some 4 blades maybe around 26" . Anyone have some ?
Old 07-06-2004, 10:17 AM
Ed
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Boot...If you were able to spin 23" pitch Mirage Pluses on that big of a hull, you were doing very well. They should not be cavitating though. Which makes me believe you are actually "over-pitched". Dropping the throttles down on an over-pitched boat, that also has plenty of engine torque, will cavitate quite a bit before the speed of the water passing by the props, catches up with the propeller speed. The question is: What did those 23" props tach out at, at wide open throttle? It must also be trimmed properly at wide open throttle also, to determine maximum R.P.M. This test should be performed on a boat that has a lighter payload as well...example: 1/2 tank of fuel or less, only one or two persons on board, unload all the cary-ons out of the cabin, etc, etc, etc...Keep us abreast of your progress. Ed
Old 07-06-2004, 05:03 PM
Registered

Ed, the boat runs right up to 5200 rpm's, same as it did with the cleavers . Only difference is it has a better grip getting on plane and stays there at lower rpm's . still needs more grip .... Boat was actualy trimed way down ... (I was not driving ,just looking ...) I know if he brings the tabs up and the drives up ,it will realy loosen up and go . Hopeing to find a set of 4 blades to try now . Thanks ,Joe

Quick Reply: Will bravo props fit a TRS drive ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.