Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Baja Outlaw 24 vs Velocity 260... >

Baja Outlaw 24 vs Velocity 260...

Notices

Baja Outlaw 24 vs Velocity 260...

Old 08-13-2004, 02:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baja Outlaw 24 vs Velocity 260...

I have 2 boats available, that are within my price range, and seem to fit my needs. They are both mid-late 1990's boats and pretty comparable on paper but I have no experience with either boat. What are the primary differences or advantages of each? I'm a newbie in this arena and any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Leo
Old 08-13-2004, 03:02 PM
Registered

Default Re: Baja Outlaw 24 vs Velocity 260...

Having been a Baja owner and been around their boats,, be careful what year,, they had problems with their gel coat guns between, I believe 97 and 2000 and their boats are prone to blistering... That being said, I loved mine,, not a single blister and had many options and feature that only the high dollar boats have.. They are a great boat for the money and handle very well,, kinda slow for their size and power.. good luck..
Old 08-13-2004, 03:07 PM
Registered

The velocity boats are fast for their size due to hull design and weight. One thing that you will want to take a close look at is how much room you will want in the cuddy vs how much overall performance. The Baja has a roomy cudy, I have a 88 240 Sport, and have no problems sleeping or doing other things inside. So my best recommendation is to go and look at both boats inside and out before you decide what you want.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:11 PM
Registered

The 24 outlaw has a crawl in cuddy entrace. The 260 V has a taller walk in cuddy entrance. I haven't been in 24 outlaw cuddy but I highly dought it has more room than the Velocity. The Velocity will be faster by a long shot. Probably 10mph or better.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:12 PM
Registered

Also what year is the velocity and is it a 260(24ft plus platform) or is a 26(now called the 280) without a platform.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:37 PM
Registered

It is a 98 Velocity 260. I know that the "current" 260 is actually a 24-25 footer plus the swim platform. Is the 98' 260 also a 24-25 footer too? The cabin on the Velocity appears longer and the access is certainly bigger. The Velocity has legit couches on both sides then the traditional "playpen" forward of that. The Baja seems to have less room in the cuddy as it depends on the cushion configuration as to whether you have seats or a playpen.

The Baja has more power but the speeds seem pretty comparable. The Baja has far more features and makes the Velocity look like a "stripped" model by comparison. The Baja has planes with indicators, depth, ship-shore, GPS, bimini, etc.. The Velocity does not even have planes. Speed alone is not a major factor is this decision.

How is the build quality between these two?

Thanks again,

Leo
Old 08-13-2004, 04:10 PM
Registered

that is true about the crawl in entrance to the cuddy on the baja's. That would have to be my biggest gripe. Well, at least when I dont have a nice female crawling in there to get the bumpers and stuff giving me a nice view. Sounds like you got a good take on what both boats have to offer. I've heard good and bad about the build quality on both boats. You just need to take them both out, run them hard. Put them through some turns and hit some ruff stuff. Take the ride into consideration along with what you want feature wise and style wise and make your final decision. Dont really think you can go wrong with either boat.
Old 08-13-2004, 04:17 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd go with the Velocity.
Old 08-13-2004, 04:29 PM
Registered

The Baja will handle the rough better, and the features are very nice. depending on where you boat,,, if its rough I'd most definitely go with the Baja.
Old 08-13-2004, 04:30 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

I've had a 24 Outlaw for 9 years now. My knees really wish I would sell it!! Crawling into the cuddy sucks. My advice, drive both. Some of the things you mentioned that the Baja has that the Velocity does not are easy to put on the Belicity (GPS, VHF radio, depth finder). I've ridden in the 260 Velocity a couple of times, and though it's a lot faster per hp, the ride is not quite as forgiving as in the Outlaw. Not to say the Velocity is a bad riding boat, just not as deep I guess, or as heavy. The Outlaw definitely needs tabs (mine had none when I bought it... first thing I added and what a difference). The Velocity is a bit flatter riding boat and you might get by without tabs and could add them later.

Quick Reply: Baja Outlaw 24 vs Velocity 260...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.