Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   From V to Cat (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/82843-v-cat.html)

Stormrider 07-08-2004 07:44 AM

From V to Cat

Who has made the move from V bottom to Cat?
What was your reasoning and and now how do you feel about your decision?

After reading the August issue of POWERBOAT, and seeing the DCB 29 and Eticket 28, those seem like incredible rides.
How would those compare to say a Pantera 28 or Joker or Phantom in rough water. And I mean snotty 3-4ft seas.
I'm on the western sound, and its mostly 2ft chop and crappy traffic water, where one of these cats might do well.

chromecat 07-08-2004 07:59 AM

Re: From V to Cat

I made the switch, and love the decision. I think my 31 American Offshore handles the rough stough great. To compare a cat to a v, in my opinion you have to add about 5+ feet to the v for the same ride, since the cat runs level and its running surface is like that of a 5'+ longer boat. Not to mention the unmatched efficiency of the tunnel. Its the only way to go in my book.

Don

SummerObsession 07-08-2004 08:04 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I just made the move from a 35 Twin Step Cigarette to a DCB F-29.

After my Cig sold, I made a list of what my boating needs truly were.
For me, low freeboard (kids can see out :rolleyes: ), speed with reliable power, durability, and trailering ability were at the top of the list.
I also wanted something unique and well built.
Rough water handling (for the size) was also a consideration.

I ended up buying a 2003 F-29 with naturally aspirated 580 ci. engines that produce around 650hp. The engines are very tame, run very well on pump gas, and should be very reliable. They also idle well, do not load up around the docks or cover the transom with soot.

I just bought the boat, so I don't have enough hours in the rough stuff to be real comfortable yet, but so far I can tell you that for what I want it to do, this boat is GREAT!.
It handles up to 4' washing machine chop at LOTO very well, but when they get 5' or above as it did last weekend, I will miss the extra 6' of boat for sure. I also need to learn how to drive a cat through the rough stuff. :rolleyes: :D It's more the length and wieght of boat, not cat or V that detemines the ride, I am sure(given both well designed boats).

I also ran 118 MPH (with more left) with his very conservative and reliable power. You can't do that in a V.
Although I looked at 30 Eliminators as well, I don't think you can beat an F-29 for its looks, build quality, rigging quality, and uniqueness. There customer support is second to none as well, believe me!
If you have any questions, feel free to call any time!
John Fairleigh

Here is a few pics from LOTO last Friday:

Gary Anderson 07-08-2004 08:29 AM

38' Scarab to 31' Chris cat on LOTO. Wanted to go 100mph.
Just keep it on top of the chop and it rides as well as the scarab did. Take your time learning, especially turning, and resist the temptation to drop the throttle suddenly. Oh yeah, ride a few and see how they launch off waves. They should come down fairly flat. My old OB eliminator came down tail heavy and was a bit scary.
Gary

Cord 07-08-2004 08:49 AM

That E-ticket is a really sweet boat. Kinda reminds me of the Donzi classics. I switched from a V to a cat and just love the difference. My 26' handles the loto water just fine. 2-3' rythmic Lake Michigan waves OK. Beyond that it's really not comfortable. What I have found is that you need to keep the air pack under the boat. With the air pack, the boat will just float over stuff. I've gone over some huge holes in loto and never felt them. The quirky thing is that boat will launch when you don't expect it either. The biggest issue that I have found is with insurance. Please investigate that before your purchase.

Tantrum 07-08-2004 09:39 AM

Good thread
Im selling my 25 AT and seriously looking for a 28 Skater. The insurance is an issue Im willing to deal with however the effect it will have on resale is a bigger concern.
Im keeping an eye on this thread and would like to hear the good and the bad reviews.

Stormrider 07-08-2004 09:43 AM

Yea Cord, that is what I was thinking... the "I" word.
But is it the speed and power that keeps the cat insurance high? or just because its a cat?
What would you guys think of the aforementioned cats w/ a single diesel?
http://www.marinedieselusa.com/html/tigershark.html
This 400hp version has over 650lb/ft of torque.
Engine specs

Downtown42 07-08-2004 09:54 AM

Summer Obsession: your boat looks great! Can I ask how much insurance you have to pay for the cat vs the cig?

This is good thread. Trailering and insurance is holding me back.

Downtown42 07-08-2004 09:55 AM

Summer, you have a small cabin in there?

SummerObsession 07-08-2004 09:59 AM

Downtown:
Insurance is twice what I was paying for the Cig. From what I am told, my lack of cat experience and the speed of the boat are the main drivers for the cost. I hope that next year, having more experience, I can get a better deal, but I will probably have to switch companies.
I am told there are only two companies that will insure cats in my size range.
The only reason my insurand is even buyable is that I have a 7 month lay up period.