Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Reggie Gunning for Outerlimites??!! >

Reggie Gunning for Outerlimites??!!

Notices

Reggie Gunning for Outerlimites??!!

Old 07-12-2004, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Reggie Gunning for Outerlimites??!!

Since Outer Limits used 1450 Sterlings with PSI blowers, this would be a pretty close test of the hull/setup. Not much point in adding more power if Fountain can beat them with the same power. A win with 2000 HP engines could be debated as having nothing to do with the hull.

There is nothing practical about these tests, but they do make you think. With existing drives and props you go faster by lifting more hull out of the water, but then you have little or no control. At what point do the designers deliberately make the boat run wetter to maintain control and use much, much greater HP to achieve the top speed? This would also require stronger drives and different props with more blade in the water to actually generate the much greater thrust required.

Racing and record setting is good in that it tests the limits of available technology and forces designers to build a better mousetrap. Is there a way to increase boat control without increasing wetted surface and drag?
Old 07-12-2004, 12:26 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Means nothing to me really unless both boats were setup with identical "stock" power packages along with a stock drive setup right off the showroom floor. Otherwise these are all modifieds....BUT, that doesn't mean I'm not enjoying the competitive edge to it all. It's the one upmanship ads in the magazines I grow weary of...
Old 07-12-2004, 03:09 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

This thing is realy getting kind of stupid ....

They realy need to bolt in stock ,sealed power plants as said , and then see which hull is better . If all they are going for is who has the fastest boat on the water then they need to up the mark by another 200 MPH ! I think the record is 300 and something , RIGHT ??? HEll I guy in one of those 18' blown hydro's is doing over 200 mph in the quarter mile !

SO whats the point ?

Granted it is very cool and does (possibly ) bring better ideas out in the open . Or may just cause someones death

Let me ask you this , WHO WOULD HAVE THE BALLS OR STOOP LOW ENOUGH TO CALL THEM SELVES THE WINNER ,AFTER THE OTHER ONE ENDS UP DEAD ?

I am not saying they should stop trying . It's is just a thought I had . That would make for some great advertising ....

"Yes , my boat is the fastest and the safest , because the other guy is dead ! "
Old 07-12-2004, 05:07 PM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

Originally Posted by boot
This thing is realy getting kind of stupid ....

They realy need to bolt in stock ,sealed power plants as said , and then see which hull is better . If all they are going for is who has the fastest boat on the water then they need to up the mark by another 200 MPH ! I think the record is 300 and something , RIGHT ??? HEll I guy in one of those 18' blown hydro's is doing over 200 mph in the quarter mile !

SO whats the point ?
The point is, who has the FASTEST V-Bottom ... whom ever wants to play the game is free to step in the arena. Right now there are only two players who are willing to lay it on the line ... mo' power to 'em

Don't hate the playa ... hate the game

G
Old 07-12-2004, 05:35 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Didn't mean it to sound so negative if it did .... No matter what , fast boats are cool !
Besides , the faster the extreme boats go , the easier & cheaper it will be for us average guys to get into the 100's !
Old 07-13-2004, 09:43 PM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron P
I doubt Mike would be allowed to run at the Reggie race unless he enters the boat in the race. I believe the rules say that boats running the kilo need to have been a top three finisher during the year.
Sounds like a cheap way for Reggie to keep the strongest competition away so he can win in his own back yard. If Reggie truly wants to be "King" of offshore speed, Just invite the Triple X regardless of anyraces entered, safe running to all, and let the spoils go to the victor.
Old 07-13-2004, 10:16 PM
Registered

The record that is being discussed is "fastest V-hull", NOT "fastest OFFSHORE V-hull". Therefore, ANY V-hull should be able to compete for the record. Regardless of "offshore" racing credentials. Whether it is a one-of-a-kind, one-pass-only, NHRA-dragster-type custom, or a mainstream producer.

If Reggie played his cards right ( he usually does ) his advertising would read "World's fastest OFFSHORE V-hull". . . then you can bring the 'top-three finisher' factor into play. Otherwise, Fountain himself opens the door for a manufacturer like Outerlimits, with a comparatively non-existent racing heritage, to challenge for the record.

I personally am pulling for Fountain in this endeavor, because of Fountain's unequalled RACING heritage. The balls it takes, at his age ( how old is he anyway ), to take it personally, and drive the boat himself, is unbelievable.

Last edited by rouxsterre; 07-14-2004 at 12:13 AM.
Old 07-13-2004, 10:29 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordo
Sounds like a cheap way for Reggie to keep the strongest competition away so he can win in his own back yard. If Reggie truly wants to be "King" of offshore speed, Just invite the Triple X regardless of anyraces entered, safe running to all, and let the spoils go to the victor.

it wont be XXX it will be russels new boat... stay tuned
Old 07-14-2004, 01:06 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BARCOASTAL
i love the post count of the individual who started this thread

new screen name to start some chit????????????

yeah huh... hmm
Old 07-14-2004, 06:01 AM
Registered

i was just up in brisol rhode island over the weekend and the outerlimits crew did a run to block island and back, rumor on the dock was XXX was beat by a new outerlimits with shark teeth on the nose,i overheard speeds in the 180 range but i do not know it for fact. where is Cigarette in this challenge,have they just bowed out?

Quick Reply: Reggie Gunning for Outerlimites??!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.