Notices

How Much Horsepower Will Merc # 5 Hold

Old 07-12-2004, 12:53 AM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: How Much Horsepower Will Merc # 5 Hold

Especially if you take a look at the SSM#5 photo you posted.

The propeller is totally exposed to someone getting in/out of the water through the rear of the boat and one does not have to guess what will happen if someone jumps off the back.

That drive is just as bad as ours was before we made a safety cover.
Old 07-12-2004, 06:10 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by open72
pm board member JASSMAN ,think he is selling a set of 5's. as for switching from bravo to anything else with a tranny ,engine relocation forward , transom work ,exhaust outlet work ,alot of work check this months issue of powerboat , did a artical on the arneson /bravo . very good reading and info. but it also require alot of work , lowering engines , moving them forward, etc.here is a pic of #5's in action in the old lolliepops boat that JASSMAN bought at about 100mph. nice tail this was behind KE 1000's
Thanks Eric, great pic of Old Lolliepops boat, you got to love the rooster tail My #5 set up w/Stelling boxes is in the swap section. It works great, has New Bam 1400 trannies, and feel very confident that 900 hp shouldn't be a problem. As to them sticking out, I located my latter to the very starboard side, then steer the props to the furthest port side and trim up as high as possible, it aslo helps to have that huge swim platform on my Nortech, no problems with this application. Jim I will call you today, Thanks Jeff
Old 07-12-2004, 07:23 AM
Registered

Received 293 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Rik
The engines do not move forward with the Arneson Bravo Conversion Kits.

The engines might drop lower in the boat, but that depends upon the current "X" dimension of the boat.

Our drive package requires less HP to operate and also weights far less, not to mention the cost vs. the Mercury SSM#5.

We have made a propeller cover so that no one will be impaled if they jumped off the back of the boat and landed onto the propeller.
i'm just going by what i read in powerboat "the drives needed to be mounted lower on the transom, which required repositioning the engines 3inches lower and a inch forward" on the 382 formula .

if the boat has a blank transom ,should be real easy. wonder how my cig would do with a single arneson
Old 07-12-2004, 11:14 AM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The engines were mounted forward one inch due to the fact that they mechanic continued to use a “drive saver” that was on the engines when it had Bravo's and he wanted to continue to use them. The drive saver is 1" thick.

This was to provide more space between the rear of the blower and the engine hatch opening.

Without the addition of the drive saver the engines goes in the same for/aft location.

We are 52” OAL.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:54 AM
Registered

Received 293 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Rik
The engines were mounted forward one inch due to the fact that they mechanic continued to use a “drive saver” that was on the engines when it had Bravo's and he wanted to continue to use them. The drive saver is 1" thick.

This was to provide more space between the rear of the blower and the engine hatch opening.

Without the addition of the drive saver the engines goes in the same for/aft location.

We are 52” OAL.

understood