Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   How Much Horsepower Will Merc # 5 Hold (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/83016-how-much-horsepower-will-merc-5-hold.html)

Buddy OO 07-11-2004 02:43 PM

How Much Horsepower Will Merc # 5 Hold

thinking of putting 5 drives on my new 39v with 800sc motors. not comfortable with any type of bravo drive and 6 is too expensive. have looked at the new 4x4 and merc 5. will it hold up and will it hold resale value and be worth more than xr drives?. does the 5 throw a roostertail like the 6 and does it come with steering incorporated into the drive? thanks

Pete B 07-11-2004 03:37 PM

Re: How Much Horsepower Will Merc # 5 Hold

The 5's are rated for 750, but more power has been put to them. as for the steering you will need to purchase that separate.

X-Rated30 07-11-2004 03:48 PM

Arneson. :cool:

Scooter 07-11-2004 07:02 PM

number 5 drives have been handling 840 hp for about 5 yrs now, no problems at all

Ron P 07-11-2004 07:21 PM

Get the Huber trans to put infront of the 5, it makes for a nice solid drive system.

The roostertail your talking about comes from one or both of the following. A staggered engine setup so the drives are real close together. Drives mounted so the prop sufaces with lots of power.

Forget the 4x4 when compared to a 5. Or just pay for the 6 and be done with it.

Lmarth 07-11-2004 07:25 PM

I'm with Ron P. I've got 800SC's in front of Huber 1330"s and SSMV's with Mayfair Steering and lab finished props. Couldn't be happier.--Lou

Johnny DCB 07-11-2004 07:56 PM

Where can I find some pics of #5 setups and the trannys?How hard is too switch from a bravo 1 set up over to a #5?

dlbCheckmate 07-11-2004 08:09 PM

Whats the cost differance between the 5's and 6's ? Do they still sell the 5's new ?

Switching from Bravo's to # 5's would be starting over completely as you would have to move the engines to make room for the trannies. If switching from Bravo's I would seriously consider the Arnesons.

open87 07-11-2004 08:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Johnny DCB
Where can I find some pics of #5 setups and the trannys?How hard is too switch from a bravo 1 set up over to a #5?

pm board member JASSMAN ,think he is selling a set of 5's. as for switching from bravo to anything else with a tranny ,engine relocation forward , transom work ,exhaust outlet work ,alot of work :drool: check this months issue of powerboat , did a artical on the arneson /bravo . very good reading and info. but it also require alot of work , lowering engines , moving them forward, etc.here is a pic of #5's in action in the old lolliepops boat that JASSMAN bought at about 100mph. nice tail :D this was behind KE 1000's:eek:

Rik 07-11-2004 10:34 PM

The engines do not move forward with the Arneson Bravo Conversion Kits.

The engines might drop lower in the boat, but that depends upon the current "X" dimension of the boat.

Our drive package requires less HP to operate and also weights far less, not to mention the cost vs. the Mercury SSM#5.

We have made a propeller cover so that no one will be impaled if they jumped off the back of the boat and landed onto the propeller.