Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Automobile Problem, PLEASE HELP! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/83111-automobile-problem-please-help.html)

Dock Holiday 07-12-2004 08:16 PM

Automobile Problem, PLEASE HELP!

Guys,

My Mother lives two states away and is retired. She owns a 1996 Pontiac Bonneville with the 3800 V-6 engine with 100,000 miles on it.

Recently she called me because the car was running hot and I had her to take it to the local dealer. I spoke with them and had a new water pump put on, they flushed the cooling system and that problem was solved. I also had them to change the oil and filter, air filter and fuel filter, and they put new plugs, distributor cap and plug wires on.

A few days later mom called and said the car would not start. Before we could get someone to her it had started and all seemed okay. The next day she went to town, car ran good, after about thirty minutes of shopping the car would not start. She waited about an hour and it started.

I had her to drive straight to the dealer, it started a dozen times for them, no problem and the computer did not show any codes.

The next day the same problem all over again. The car had set overnight and started up first thing. She drove to town, turned it off and about thirty minutes later it would not start. She could hear the fuel pump cut on, the car cranks, it just will not start.

Had her take it back to the dealer and they said it had to be the fuel pump. I also called the service manager at my local GM dealership I trade with and he also said he bet it was the fuel pump. That even though you could hear it come on, that it was not developing enough pressure.

Today I had the fuel pump replaced at a cost fo $315.00 and thought the problem was solved. Well, she just called and it has done it again!!!!!!!!!

I am at a total loose here. The dealer told me there is only two things that cause problems and don't show codes.

1) Fuel Pump
2) Computer

Any ideas as to what to look for or replace would really be appreciated. I have spent almost $700.00 now and we still do not have the car reliable.

Many thanks in advance.

GO4BROKE 07-12-2004 08:24 PM

Re: Automobile Problem, PLEASE HELP!

The computer will only trip codes if it knows the data its getting is bad or a system fails a performance test. No codes doesn't mean much. I vote for the crank sensor. :blaster:

Shah Mat 07-12-2004 08:47 PM

Crankshaft position sensor would be my guess. It is located very close to the water pump, it may have been ready to go and maybe tapped lightly with a wrench during the water pump change. They will give intermittent no start conditions.

Dock Holiday 07-12-2004 08:51 PM

Thank you both very much. That definately sounds like a good place to start.

R Addiction 07-12-2004 08:59 PM

Dock, Give me a call 610-695-8997. I work in a Pontiac dealership I may be able to help. I'll beup til 11pm.

Formulabill 07-12-2004 09:56 PM

DOCK, take one of those big ol motors out of the BAJA and replace MOM'S.

Cord 07-12-2004 10:09 PM

Not to nit pick, but that engine doesn't have a distributor.

Sydwayz 07-12-2004 11:28 PM

Catalytic Converter clogged?

CAP071 07-13-2004 05:48 AM

First of all if the dealership was that good they would have told her to leave it there. this way they could have seen what it would do for them in the morning, and they could have had a fuel pressure gauge sitting on it from first crank.

Seems to me they are, as we use to call it at the dealership, "Tossing darts, hoping to hit the problem"

I would demand my money back for the fuel pump just to start things off.

Dock Holiday 07-13-2004 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by R Addiction
Dock, Give me a call 610-695-8997. I work in a Pontiac dealership I may be able to help. I'll beup til 11pm.

John,

It was a real pleasure talking with you last night. Thanks again for your help. I will keep you posted.

Dock