Notices

Steps, Notches, and Boxes

Old 07-13-2004, 08:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steps, Notches, and Boxes

I'm starting to think about getting a new boat. A lot of what I'm looking at has a notched transom. Does this take the place of a box in the way of speed? What does this do for ride quality? And BTW what is the real story on steps? How much do they affect ride in the ruff stuff?
Old 07-13-2004, 10:07 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Steps, Notches, and Boxes

I hava a notch transom on my 28 race boat, and I wouldnt trade it for anything else.My Pantera does not have steps in it, and I like to keep it that way. What size boat are you looking for, twin/single engine very important to get all the feedback from the OSO gang.

Albert
Old 07-13-2004, 12:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Madcow:
Good luck getting a straight answer here!

From my limited knowledge I have picked up froms lots of sources.

Notched transom: Primary purpose is to provide "clean" water for the props to bite.
My 35 Playboy did not have a notch, but the Top Guns do. I haven't heard of a notch affecting ride quality or handling.
Boxes: Simply put, makes the boat feel "longer" as it puts the props farther back and once again, in "clean" water, meaning more undisturbed by the hull, less air in the water.
As far as speed goes, I was told be several RELIABLE sources that in the case of a boat w/o a notch, the boxes are VERY beneficial. Still benenficial if you have a notch, but not as drastically.
Speed aside, rough water handling, planing , and x-dimension change seems to be the most popular reasons for adding extension boxes.
Just my .02
Old 07-13-2004, 12:42 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Notch? Provides good water to the props only at a higher "X" dimension (drive location/height) causing less drag. Negative side is less hull in the water.

Steps in rough water? You're gonna have to form your own opinion here. Mostly known for increased speed.....(supposedly)

Extension boxes "alone"? Gives affect of longer hull; changes center of gravity; 2-4mph increase in speed depending on hull/power configuration.

Next....
Old 07-13-2004, 12:57 PM
Registered

"Notch....Negative side is less hull in the water"...incorrect!

"changes center of gravity"...no,,it really does not. it has more affect on the center of force...

"2-4mph increase in speed depending on hull/power configuration."....your going to go slower if this is all you do...your X-dim will increase w/the addition of boxes only, due to transom angle.

"Steps in rough water? You're gonna have to form your own opinion here. Mostly known for increased speed.....(supposedly)"...they do increase speed and in ROUGH water as well.

the new stepped hulls are great....most all use a notched transom in conjunction....go with the new ITS system(box),,,they also have a better gimbal set-up in them.
Old 07-13-2004, 01:17 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

"Notch....Negative side is less hull in the water"...incorrect!

Ok educate me, what part of the hull compensates for that chunk being taken out WRT hull in water? It's kinda like a beak in my mind only on the other end.

"...they do increase speed and in ROUGH water as well".

Too many dynamics going on in the "rough" to make that definitive conclusion.
Old 07-13-2004, 01:28 PM
Registered

"Too many dynamics going on in the "rough" to make that definitive conclusion"...not really, the proof is in the results! take a look at any race results..APBA or UIM. a non stepped hull can not compete! NOT even close!...no matter what the condition.

i've been in my fair share of stepped and NON stepped hulls too...
Old 07-13-2004, 01:41 PM
Registered

"Ok educate me, what part of the hull compensates for that chunk being taken out WRT hull in water"...what is WRT?....
Old 07-13-2004, 01:41 PM
Registered

Hey Madcow...

Buy my boat. No notches, no steps, no boxes, but it's good in the rough.

I'm not sure if some of the folks know what you mean by rough. I do. You mean the kick your teeth in, short trough, steep sets that we get out of the northeast around here. Bang, Bang, Bang, Bang, Bang...

If I had it all to do over again, and knowing your home port, I would get a Formula. Maybe a 302 or something, but maybe you have more budget... Get a Formula SS. Own the lake. Have the chicks on your boat. Biggest dance floor wins.

We'll put an *ss shakin stereo in it and some cool lights.
Old 07-13-2004, 01:46 PM
Registered

anytime you have a way of supplying a more consistent flow of water to the props in varying conditions...you will have more control...control =a means of suppling a input...be it bad or good!...kind of like geometry in motorcycles....

Quick Reply: Steps, Notches, and Boxes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.