Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Freind Looking At 454s / Volvo Pent Drives ? >

Freind Looking At 454s / Volvo Pent Drives ?

Notices

Freind Looking At 454s / Volvo Pent Drives ?

Old 07-15-2004, 12:10 AM
DONZIMAN97

Default Freind Looking At 454s / Volvo Pent Drives ?

2001 29 Powerques twin 454s volvo penta drives

I'VE FORMED MY OP-ION ON THIS COMBO,WHATS YOURS? Hopefully all of you can help him make the right decision.

Old 07-15-2004, 07:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Freind Looking At 454s / Volvo Pent Drives ?

How many Volvo Penta outdrives do you see on the racing circuit?

I know two guys who ran those V-P "DPX" (I think that's what they were called) and both had problems with them. Both sold/traded their boats before forty hours, bought new, and took a BEATING on them for the drives.

I would say NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-15-2004, 07:44 AM
Registered

I think that Volvo makes a great marine engine/outdrive combo. There are lots of boats with Volvo's in them.

The only problem with Volvo is the lack of after-market performance parts. As long as your friend does not plan to upgrade his horsepower, the Volvo will be fine.

Just my two-cents...
Old 07-15-2004, 07:48 AM
Registered

bad idea. i suppose DPXs could last a bit behind 454s due to lower power/torque but I am reliably informed that they are a real nightmare behind 502s. however, given the smallish difference between 454s and 502s, they are very unlikely to last MUCH longer on that Powerquest. But, it all depends on the price. Those drives may enable your friend to beat the seller up pretty bad on price and make a good deal. Rarely do you find a killer deal on a perfect boat. Usually you have to be ready to fix something or change something to make a good one. Then it all depends whether you're ready to tinker with it and whether the price allows you to do so without actually incurring any losses at the end of the day.
Old 07-15-2004, 12:28 PM
Registered

Received 365 Likes on 209 Posts

BUY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Paint the drives black and hope for the best.

Just kidding, I agree with all the other posts.

Good luck,
Jack

Friends don't let friends by volvo's or stringers
Old 07-15-2004, 12:45 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The Volvo XDP can handle up to 600HP however the major problem as you may be aware by know is that Volvo no longer has a high perfromance division so subsequently there are no HP parts, research or trials available. The composite drives are practically bullet proof pushing a boat powered by some serious power. But for the racers in all of us they just (for the moment) don't make good sense because of the aforementioned factors.

So, buy something a little more geared towards the high end performance market, that way at least what you buy will be serviceable. The XDP is a one piece unit, so there is no repairing in the event of a lower unit problem. Complete removal and dissasembly is required. Then If you think shimming a Mercury is time consuming, your in for a treat.

However you could buy the boat and remove the drives and gimbals, sell them on ebay and install XZ's or something.

Last edited by Trippin; 07-15-2004 at 12:48 PM.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:20 PM
Registered

What is he going to do with the boat?Those drives will be fine,you can break anything if you want to.Volvo has been around for years if it is a nice boat and he likes it and it's a good buy I wouldn't be afraid of those drives one bit.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:23 PM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

I think Clay sums it up well .. plus the consideration of service outlets availability ...

I've owned both brands .. although not the newest Volvo stuff ..(soon to change though )

I've said it before ... I will not buy another Merc .. PERIOD ! Availibility of high perf. parts or not .

Besides .. with gas at $5.35 you don't get to do too much hi perf stuff here anyway

I would'nt hesitate to buy a boat with Volvos in it .. of course they'd have to be well looked after like anything else .
Old 07-16-2004, 10:15 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am confused. I know that Reindel runs the DPX's on the "BAT" boats in the offshore racing classes and they beat the hell out of them with what I have heard is great results. What kind of real problems has anybody had with the new DPX's and what power were they running. Heck, knowbody has ever had a problem with a Bravo right!
Now somebody please unconfuse me with some facts!
Raylar
Old 07-16-2004, 01:31 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

IF we're talking about DPX's here:

I've got 200 hours on 600/DPX's in a 12,000 lb boat. Zero (-0-) drive problems. Most of the high-performance installation failures a few years ago were the direct result of "to-the-moon" X-dimensions used by the manufacturers trying to squeeze out the last .1 mph. The vibrations set up by the counter-rotating props as they surfaced played havoc with the drives. (Before you blame Volvo, remember that Mercury couldn't even get their Blackhawk to survive behind a small-block).

Reindl runs his DPX's behind about 400 hp, so his should last forever.

I'd classify DPX's as about 15% stronger than Bravos, but you have to account for 50% more prop bite, so throttling mistakes aren't tolerated as well. Your buddy could easily bolt blowers on that package and be fine.

Control around the docks is 200% better than Bravos, and the hydraulic steering is not only integrated into the drive, it's free.

DPX's will cost you some on top speed, especially when you start to get over 75 or so. Remember - there's a lot of prop surface area there. Cruise efficiency is phenomenal. (Think about it - How much time do you spend at 3800-4000 vs 5200+? Really.)

If we're talking about DP-S drives, consider them to be about the same strength as Bravos, but with all the better control issues, just no hydraulic steering.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by C_Spray; 07-17-2004 at 11:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Freind Looking At 454s / Volvo Pent Drives ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.