Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Black Hulls (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/83239-black-hulls.html)

Stormrider 07-14-2004 02:44 PM

Black Hulls

How do black hulls stand up? Will they fade?
Do they hide dirt? or do they show water streaks?
Would a water filter/ionizer help that problem?
And I'm not talking about the deck, just the hull.

JUSTONCE 07-14-2004 03:04 PM

Re: Black Hulls

plan on waxing after every time its in the water

PatriYacht 07-14-2004 03:12 PM

A black deck tends to get hot enough to crack the gell coat. The constant expansion and contraction is more than the gell can take.

boot 07-14-2004 03:27 PM

Just like a black truck .... Always dirty even after you just washed it , extremely HOT , and shows every little ripple in the body .... highly NOT reccomended !

Stormrider 07-14-2004 04:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yea... I hear ya.
But they green looks so good against the black.
You see, I left the deck white.
Would navy be any better than black?

aero-offshore 07-14-2004 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Stormrider
Yea... I hear ya.
But they green looks so good against the black.
You see, I left the deck white.
Would navy be any better than black?

That has to be the best looking boat I have ever seen, NICEEEEE!!!

mopower 07-14-2004 04:22 PM

Had a black Liberator and numerous black trucks. They're beautiful when they're clean and shiny but.... :(

Lotta work :(

32storm 07-14-2004 10:29 PM

Had a black boat 1X...real pain in the azz. Every time it got wet, would get dirty water spotted. Fade became an issue over time, in spite of regular wax, and annual light rub. Once was enough.

dreamer 07-14-2004 10:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
stop it!!!!! your ruiming my resale value on the playboy

Stormrider 07-15-2004 07:41 AM

Dreamer... clear out your PMs.

GLH 07-15-2004 07:43 AM

I would not be worried as much if we're only talking the hull. You will have to work a little harder to keep it nice but it looks great when taken care off.

Black decks... might has well shoot yourself it's a lot faster and painless.

Stormrider 07-15-2004 07:46 AM

Thanks GLH, thats more the answer I was looking for.
I've hear the water purifiers/filter that you run your fresh water hose through removes all spotting. Any one use one of these on any boat? and does it work?

I saw a Navy hulled 42 Tiger in the Western Sound on Sunday eve. Anyone know who this is?

super termoli 07-15-2004 08:02 AM

black/navy blue hull: looks great but needs more attention. purifier will help a lot. however, if you plan on spending any time in your cabin, it will be hot as hell. if you have A/C, it will need to be upgraded by a few BTUs which usually means a bigger generator as well. so, this is why a dark hull ends up costing quite a bit on bigger cruisers. A/C capacities need to be bumped up by up to 50%.

black deck: forget it, stick to BBQs, they work better but it's a close call.

black hull/black deck combo: pure suicide. there was an all black Magnum 44 which looked quite nice but was repainted very fast. i was told the boat was virtually unusable in very sunny conditions, when you would want to use it...

stevebaretta 07-15-2004 08:35 AM

A freind of mine has a black Baja Hammer and another had a black Cobalt. Yeah, they're alot of work to keep clean but MAN! they look sharp when they are all shined up. They just use alot of towels if they sit on the deck.

magnum27 07-15-2004 08:50 AM

Oh well, I guess I am way out numbered on this subject. For me though, my boat will not be for things such as anchoring out and trying to get a tan. It is for racing and that is about it. I have another boat for just putting around.

BROWNIE 07-15-2004 08:50 AM

When I was at Cigarette, we did sun-generated temperature extremes on various colored gelcoats in the August Florida sun. Holy chit! Black and dark blue, 193F. White, 123. Other colors, logically in between. Plastic elastic limit on polyester resin (std laminate) 146 degrees. Theoretically, your black boat is about half as strong at noon as it is in the evening. Food for thought.....

Panther 07-15-2004 02:23 PM

I've has a black and red boat now for 6 years. I found the Red to be harder to maintain than the black. The hull is Black Imron with Clearcoat, never had any fading issues and "spectators" always tell me the boat shines from a mile a way.

It's a little more to maintain but not any harder than multicolor boats.

jdwlac 07-15-2004 02:37 PM

I also had a black & red panther.
had davits in the backyard, so used to wax weekly - top, sides, and bottom
looked great but alot of work.
boat was delivered new w/ pre-faded deck.
worked hard to get it bright & clear the first time

Panther 07-15-2004 02:39 PM

I wound up sanding out the non-skid on the deck of my Panther and painting. Now the black doesn't fade at all.

Panther 07-15-2004 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by jdwlac
I also had a black & red panther.
had davits in the backyard, so used to wax weekly - top, sides, and bottom
looked great but alot of work.
boat was delivered new w/ pre-faded deck.
worked hard to get it bright & clear the first time

I wonder if I have your old boat? What did you have for power?

jdwlac 07-15-2004 03:11 PM

panther, do you have lightning bolts (red) covering the hullsides where it fades from the waterline?? - i think i saw your boat
or - it could be mine - ck your pms

bearpaw 07-15-2004 03:30 PM

My black 32 Scorpion is sitting in the shade up in Indiana while I'm living down here in Naples,might have to paint the deck white before I bring it down.

Stormrider 07-15-2004 04:00 PM

Bearpaw, how was that blue 28pantera?
Was that metallic paint?

Panther 07-15-2004 04:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by jdwlac
panther, do you have lightning bolts (red) covering the hullsides where it fades from the waterline?? - i think i saw your boat
or - it could be mine - ck your pms

Yep, here it is.

Waterfoul 07-15-2004 04:40 PM

You couldn't give me a black boat. Unless you gave me a bunch of $$ to have it repainted too. Like troutly said, total PITA!! I don't even like the darker blue on my boat.

Panther 07-15-2004 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Waterfoul
You couldn't give me a black boat. Unless you gave me a bunch of $4 to have it repainted too. Like troutly said, total PITA!! I don't even like the darker blue on my boat.

We all have our own opinion I guess. To each his own

Waterfoul 07-15-2004 04:53 PM

Yup. Black is just too hot and too hard to take care of. I won't even own a black vehicle. Guess I just don't want to work that hard!!! LOL!!

Rambunctious 07-15-2004 05:29 PM

Guess I just don't want to work that hard!!!
so that's why you never volunteered to buff my black formula :D

Tim G. 07-15-2004 05:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is a '96. It looks almost new....really.

RebarBox 07-15-2004 09:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Once you've had Black, you never go back.:D Well that a whole other issue....:snide:

I'm not knocking anyone with a white boat, but with so little Black and/or dark blue boats out there - they are an attention get'er. Yes, mine is a hot SOB!, and keeping it clean is more work but I really like the black hulls. I could probably live with a white deck and cockpit area thou without too much arguements.;)

Lucididee 07-15-2004 09:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The black is much easier to maintain. Plus as Panther mentioned, you are more visible on the water. Now, we have a white boat and the scum line S@CKS! Scum line does no exist on the black. I miss the Hustler. The only down fall about a black boat is if the deck is black too. I need not count how many times I burned my bottom pulling anchor.

Tim G. 07-16-2004 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Troutly
Pull it 25 miles down the road and it wont! :D :D

The boat is leaving today from Ft.Laud...to CANADA!

Stormrider 07-16-2004 09:28 AM

The tides are starting to turn.
Any more black boat owners out there?

magnum27 07-16-2004 10:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I just gell-koted the Magnum Starfire that I have built from a bare hull, and when I say bare I mean as in No deck to a toatalily custom build. I could not see the boat looking better any other color. I will be posting more photo's next week but here is a taste.

RebarBox 07-16-2004 10:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is one of the sharpest looking black boats I've ever seen.:drool: