Notices

Hull Power Limits

Old 07-15-2004, 04:59 PM
AKA NORTECHJ
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Hull Power Limits

yea we just got done reriging a 96 22 with 550 hp 502 280 k planes and full hyd steering runs straight with slight chine walk. so far 78 on gps. no problems you may not have to use this large of k planes but you should look into FULL hyd steering good luck james.
Old 07-15-2004, 10:19 PM
Registered

If your transom goes underwater when you splash the boat, you've got too much power.
Old 07-16-2004, 07:12 AM
AKA NORTECHJ
Gold Member

Rj please tell me your joking.????
Old 07-16-2004, 01:18 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

A fellow local boater has a 22 scarab w/built n/a smallblock,he claimed 67.8 mph w/23 pitch 3 blade,he is currently installing 540 n/a f.i motor,expects low to mid 80's,IF he ever gets it running i'll post results,he's going to start out w/26 pitch 4 blade i sold him.
Old 07-16-2004, 02:50 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Re: Hull Power Limits

Originally Posted by syclone
thanks guys

my decision is now made: iīll fake some ominous paper stating thereīs no limit for the hull. what the heck.

and roby: when the boat is finished, there will be a modded syty engine (got to save a little money first...).

again, thanks everyone!

peter
A good friend and I were going to do this with an 18' Celebrity. It was all black and would have looked cool. We were looking into building a 700-HP Sy/Ty engine but ran out of funds. Besides the stock Alpha would have never stood for it. Eventually we built the engine and it Dynoed 738 HP at a lowly 5600-RPM W/632 ft/lb torque at a very lowley 3250-RPMs on only 23.5-PSI boost. And get this!! It was without an Intercooler because the neck cracked and it wouldn't hold water. We went all out on this engine. I built my own fuel rails because good ones for the 6 just didn't exist. I still wanted to do the project but he got married and I was in the process of trying to get married. We sold the engine for a pretty penny. Wish I could do it again.

Roby
Old 07-16-2004, 04:57 PM
Registered

I think thereīs a little more to say:

first, i donīt think i am going unsafe here.

i remember george or whatever his name was with his 18ī donzi with 700hp BB and an arneson surface drive that was capable of 100+ mph and he had to mess with his transom before to fit the arneson (you can find the link to his story somewhere on the arneson website), no one talking safety there.

our scarab hull here has been ripped apart, new floor, new reinforcements, glass gussets and reinforcements wherever it seemed necessary, all major cavities have been filled with polyurethane foam for additional strength. the boat will be run on a river only, no real offshore conditions and will be far away from going 100 anyway.

about the faking of the hull information: pretty much all of the guys in this forum wouldnīt hesitate to re-power their boats, and many do or add a blower which already means a major change in power and you donīt need to do any certifying or have some idiot who doesnīt even have a boat tell you what to do.

the papers i need are for certification only, NOBODY is really interested in what i do. we get directions and limitations what the boat has to carry in safety equipment (or what the authorities think that is) but NOBODY checks for the integrity of the hull, cracks, engine mounts, leaks or whatever. but we need to have a rudder position indicator on the steering wheel or an electrical one, just to show you how serious all this BS is.

this boat has a placard that allows it to carry 8 people-now that is a safety issue, even with the stock engine. i have no idea how you could stuff 8 people in it and still drive it comfortably. we will have the capacity reduced voluntarily to 5 people max.

about the weight: the stock 7.4 MPI it was available with from the factory was presumably heavier than our 377 will be.

scarabj: the boat gets an IMCO extension box, full hyd steering with 2 rams and EddieMarine tabs (the larger ones), bravo xr sportmaster drive. and pretty much everything is different from the stock boat (racing seats, custom upholstery, new dash completely changed with glass, new gauges, remote start, bla bla), iīll post pics when its finished.

just to show you this isnīt kids play and there are people behind this who know what they are doing. we are doing this as a company, for money. last year we put a 496HO into a 206 Formula (something Formula said cannot be done). Formula gave us a paper saying that their hulls do not have any power limits at all, i thought Wellcraft was probably willing to do the same but no luck. strength shouldnīt be an issue, the scarabīs transom is even a few millimeters thicker than the formulaīs.

again, thanks.

roby, too bad you sold that engine. i will start carrying parts for the sy together when the boat is finished. right now we are building an engine for a customer (eagle rods, ATR headers, Aquamist Water Injection etc.), i am curious how it will do and then iīll go shopping...

peter