Notices

Hull Power Limits

Old 07-15-2004, 10:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hull Power Limits

Question: I am re-rigging and re-powering a Scarab 22 (please donīt ask "why") and in my country it is necessary to get all major changes certified, like a new engine. Authorities demand a note from the manufacturer that the hull is capable of handling the power without disintegrating.
My boat will get a 377 Scorpion with a Whipplecharger kit. I do not know how much horses this will make, but certainly more than the old carbureted and normally aspirated 350 Mag/Alpha.

I contacted Wellcraft (phone, they wouldnīt answer my e-mails) and they said that the max power this boat was fitted with was a 7.4 MPI (330 hp I think), so they canīt say nothing to my setup except it hasnīt been done from the factory (is that so...) and so no comment (but no "donīt" either).

And here finally my question: I think I read somewhere that USCG regulations demand any boat above a certain length to have no power rating or limit (the hull, that is), or they say it donīt need a power rating or limitation.

I canīt remember exactly what the text said if it indeed exists.
If it does (or something similar), can anyone tell me where I could find it. I tried to research on the net but no luck.

Thanks

Peter
Old 07-15-2004, 10:36 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Default Re: Hull Power Limits

What is the power rating of the scorp? 350hp? If so, then I'd use the mfr's max power that they have installed (330hp). Add the blower later after all the inspections have been done. If they gripe about the 20 or so hp difference, show them the difference in torque. I know that the scorp makes the same if not less torque than the big block.
Old 07-15-2004, 11:05 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Swap it with a modified 4.3 Syclone V6 engine and name it "Cigarette Smoker"
PLEASE LET ME BUILD IT!

I want to repower mine with a 500EFI and have no problem doing so. I have found a site that has good Wellcraft info. Let me find it and I will post it shortly.

Roby
Old 07-15-2004, 11:13 AM
Registered

Here you is:

http://www.wellcraft.com/Resources/R....asp?mdyr=1998

Roby
Old 07-15-2004, 11:16 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,193 Likes on 518 Posts

Peter,
Typically the max HP ratings/plates placed on boats for the USCG crap is just for boats with Outboards; i.e. Bass fishing boats, and pontoons, and the like. I do not think you will find a rating other than what the factory gave you, for their max HP factory installed engine package.
Old 07-15-2004, 12:47 PM
Registered

Hunt down Larry Smith (The designer) and get something from him saying what it is rated at.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:20 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Do boats still come with that metal plate that states the maximum horse power and maximum weight??
Old 07-15-2004, 02:11 PM
Registered

thanks guys

my decision is now made: iīll fake some ominous paper stating thereīs no limit for the hull. what the heck.

and roby: when the boat is finished, there will be a modded syty engine (got to save a little money first...).

again, thanks everyone!

peter
Old 07-15-2004, 02:41 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

The rating is based of the size of the boat. I can't recall the cut off right now, but you are over it, thus there is no capacity plate. That said, if you fake the document, you'd better hope that they don't check it.
Old 07-15-2004, 04:31 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

anyone thinking safety here?

Quick Reply: Hull Power Limits

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.