Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Turbo Diesel Powered (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/83452-turbo-diesel-powered.html)

wowchad 07-18-2004 02:32 AM

Turbo Diesel Powered

Anyone have any experiance with one set up in a go-fast boat?

With gas prices at over $2.00 a gallon and diesel technology as far as it is, this seems like a nice option.

I was just on the Genesis-skier web site and they offer their new 30'er with a turbo diesel option.

Sure would sound different!!

MitchStellin 07-18-2004 02:41 AM

Re: Turbo Diesel Powered

It would be great, 10,000 hours before a rebuild, 5-6 mpg, less $$ per gallon...but, the cost of these is huge and you would need to keep the boat a long time to pay off. It has been done and works, just not in a financial way for most. I paid the extra for my Excursion but that is driven every day and will be a keeper.

wowchad 07-18-2004 10:51 AM

I have one in the Super Duty also and love it!
Worth every penny of the $3000.00 upcharge.
Would it be much more $ in a boat?
I guess finding a Mfg. that has experiance doing it is half the battle.

spectra32 07-18-2004 12:57 PM

I have a powerstroke diesel. It makes about 350hp, and 750 ft/#'s. Would that bee too much for an outdrive? I believe that it would tear up a bravo drive very quick. Also my diesel wont spin past 3400 rpm.

Scott B 07-18-2004 01:31 PM

Yanmars have been done in Donzi's (I think it was a 33.. 60 MPH equaled a 21 GPH burn.. ) and Spectres (Yanmar again, 95 MPH no problem) and maybe Sonic's.. Very doable, they just don't "sound" right at the dock LOL

super termoli 07-19-2004 02:50 AM

...and Hustlers. A 388 Slingshot with twin 440 Yanmars and Arnesons will do 83 mph and run 75 all day. The new "Esprit de Soleil" which is 50' x 10' and 23 000 lbs. dry will do 80 mph and cruise at 70 all day. At economical cruising speed of 60 mph, it will have a range of over 650 NM on a 500 gallon fuel tank. It has four Yanmars and Trimax surface drives with ZF 2-speed trannies. The combined torque of four diesels is 3200 lb-ft so this thing comes on plane in under 4 seconds and will accelerate past 60 in under 10 secs. Incredible for such a big boat with 6'10" of cabin headroom. Also, due to that torque, you can load the boat with 15 people without any major effects on performance. And in the rough stuff, with the sheer mass and the torque, it will pound through anything. Diesels have load governors which keep the RPMs constant no matter what the load on the prop is. There is no need to throttle, just pound through the waves. They will never sound like V8s but great stuff nonetheless. And think about few thousand hours b/w rebuilds. I've got 1300 hours on mine with only routine maintenance and it does not look like I'll have to take them apart anytime soon...

wowchad 07-19-2004 09:23 AM

super termoli what are you running those diesels in?
Nothing speaks like experiance.
I'm looking to have a set up done in a single engine application.

I don't know about the Yanmars, but the shop next to mine, Huckstorf Performance Diesel, tells me 450-550 HP w/800+ lbs. of torque out of a truck engine is no problem and the reliabilty is still very much there.

super termoli 07-19-2004 09:38 AM

I'm running four Yanmar 440s in this. It's 50' x 10'. But to be honest, if you're looking at a single application for a smaller boat, Yanmar is probably not the best choice because they're long and narrow so you're likely to run out of engine space. You also need to factor in the trannie because a Bravo will not take the torque. You need to step up to an Arneson ASD8 or something like that.

To use a Bravo, you need to step down to a Yanmar 300 as even the 370 has too much torque in my experience.

However, what could be a solution for you is a marinized GM V8 6.5. Marine Diesel have it up to over 400hp. with a Whipple charger I believe. I hear they're pretty reliable. The V8 design means a shorter engine which will leave more room for a trannie should you need to turn away from a Bravo. You could probably run that with a new ASD6 where the trannie is located in the extension box just off the transom. It's a pretty easy retrofit on a Bravo-style boat... So I hear, I've never done it...

super termoli 07-19-2004 09:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
oops, the photo didn't attach. another try...

wowchad 07-19-2004 10:05 AM

The Genesis I'm looking at runs a turbo diesel with a V-drive. I'm guessing that is due to weight.
That's quite a boat you have there, are your Yanmar's running turbos?
What a sound that must be!
I'd take that over a screaming blower motor, that roar gets old when cruising.