Notices

Towin with a Touregg (VW)

Old 07-18-2004, 08:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towin with a Touregg (VW)

Saw one of these today did some homework and it will pull my boat. It looks so small next to my F-250 crew cab 4x4,but it has more HP and torque then the ford. My V10 is a motha to park when im not towing. I guess I should say thats my main vehicle when the boats not in tow so city mpg is single digits and its eating gas something major. When I bought it gas was 97.9 a gallon not 2.00. Im tired of parking out in BFE at the mall.Home Depot and not able to use valet cause of tight parking.

Does anyone know or expierinced one of these for towing?
Old 07-18-2004, 08:48 AM
Registered

Default Re: Towin with a Touregg (VW)

Frank, I feel your pain. When I bought my V-10 Dodge Quad cab 4X4 gas was the same price. There have been weeks (thankfully not all) that I've run through $175.00 in five days. It's friggin nuts. Within the next month or so I'll be shopping for a diesel. I need a big truck for both my work and the boat (although not lately), but a diesel would cut my gas bill by at least a third.
Old 07-18-2004, 09:55 AM
Registered

I hear ya !!!! The wife drives my truck when Im not towing the boat. So shes has no problem with the change, but will have to wait and see. You know whats a head when dealing with new car dealerships. I luv the truck,but I sometimes wish I would have opted for the deisel. I will keep it before taking a bath!!!
Old 07-18-2004, 11:24 AM
instigator
Platinum Member

I had a V8 Touareg... notice I said had, VW is now buying it back from persistant electrical glitches with 8500 miles on it, that now may be fixed, i'm tired of waiting after 7 weeks of shop time...

Anywho, I have 3 Donzi's, 18, 20 and a 22, and a 21 4Winns cuddy, and I used mine every weekend to tow, being several around state trips in Fla. I had the third one in the US with a factory trailer hitch (hitch is $$$$$). VW will have a fit, if you tow without the FACTORY hitch. The hitch weighs 151 lbs by itself. The thing has amazing power, very, very stable when towing, but poor towing mileage (9-11 tops). I have been over 100mph, comfortably, in overdrive, with the 22 Donzi behind it, and it still pulled HARD. 6 speed auto tranny and 4.56 rear gears is the bomb. Pulls anything. Car is VERY sophisticated, maybe a tad tooo much for the average yahoo. Comfort is excellent, creature features abound, killer radio, AWD, frickin awesome brakes(better brakes than my F350 dually) in fact the brakes are sooo good, I took the trailer brakes off all 3 trailers, cause it was too much braking with it combined. I just replaced the Touareg with an 04 1500 Sierra, and the trailer brakes are now going back on the 22 trailer... Mine was an early issue car and the bugs were not worked out I hear on the early cars. Cars built after December are good cars, especially the V10 twin turbo diesel. I luved the car, it's capabilities and what-not, but I had to move on. I was driving my dually every day lately, more than the Touareg. Dealer service at South Motors in Miami exceeded the call of excellence.
Email me direct if you have any questions.

Jim
Old 07-18-2004, 11:42 AM
Banned

Frank, you have no idea how much that gas truck cost you until you try to sell it. It's hard to give away a gas powered F250. Another point about towing with the VW, how much does it weigh? Your boat is pretty big to be pulling with something light weight.
Old 07-18-2004, 12:05 PM
Registered

Wow, over 100 w/ no trailer brakes...that'd leave a mark.
Old 07-18-2004, 12:28 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah , I don't care how good the brake are. They're only as good as the tires gripping the road
Old 07-18-2004, 12:37 PM
instigator
Platinum Member

I wouldn't have done it if I wasn't perfectly comfortable with the rig. I have an NHRA 7.50/200mph Competition License, I know how to drive.. That stint was done on Alligator Alley, with no traffic around. I had a 2001 Tahoe that weezed at 80 with the same 22, and always felt top heavy and squirmy. The VW was rock solid, on rails, and predictable when towing. The VW, at 5200#'s weighs more than the Tahoe did. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. In fact, I have a 2004 crew cab 1500 Sierra now that weighs less than the VW did, and the VW was rated to pull 1,000#'s more than this Sierra is. Like I said, the brakes were so good on the VW without trailer brakes, that it would hands down outstop the Tahoe when it had trailer brakes... I have had 2 2500 Suburbans and 2 Tahoe's in the last 12 years, and the VW, all-around, out tows/handles all of them, as far as road feel and stability, just an amazing car. I also pulled my 20' open car trailer with a 4000# car loaded on it, 6300#'s loaded, and it would run 80 all_day with the cruise on, in overdrive... the car comes standard with 18" Z-rated tires, special to this car, for it's capacity's and ability. It also has a LOW range transfer case for climbing or crawling, onboard air compressor with 2 hoses, tire monitors that alert within 1/2 psi of variance, automatic load leveling, 8 air bags, 4 zone A/C, tip-tronic tranny, pop-out headlamp washers, stability control, auto leveling Zenon headlights(very cool when towing), yada-yada. We also have an X5 Beemer, and the VW walks away from it in every aspect, but it just had a couple early glitches... I make no apology's for how fast I drive, or what I tow, just that the car can do what I wanted it to do, at any given time.

JH

Last edited by BUIZILLA; 07-18-2004 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-18-2004, 12:44 PM
Registered

Not saying you don't know how to drive, in my experience it is the other idiot that doesn't know how to drive that causes your accident.
Old 07-18-2004, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IF, it was such a PERFECT car why trade it in for another Chevy truck that you dont like? Why not just trade it in or make them give you a NEW one with out the EARLIE bugs in it? Seames kinda strage to me. But what do I know all I have is General Motors products. Rag's

Originally Posted by BUIZILLA
I wouldn't have done it if I wasn't perfectly comfortable with the rig. I have an NHRA 7.50/200mph Competition License, I know how to drive.. That stint was done on Alligator Alley, with no traffic around. I had a 2001 Tahoe that weezed at 80 with the same 22, and always felt top heavy and squirmy. The VW was rock solid, on rails, and predictable when towing. The VW, at 5200#'s weighs more than the Tahoe did. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. In fact, I have a 2004 crew cab 1500 Sierra now that weighs less than the VW did, and the VW was rated to pull 1,000#'s more than this Sierra is. Like I said, the brakes were so good on the VW without trailer brakes, that it would hands down outstop the Tahoe when it had trailer brakes... I have had 2 2500 Suburbans and 2 Tahoe's in the last 12 years, and the VW, all-around, out tows/handles all of them, as far as road feel and stability, just an amazing car. I also pulled my 20' open car trailer with a 4000# car loaded on it, 6300#'s loaded, and it would run 80 all_day with the cruise on, in overdrive... the car comes standard with 18" Z-rated tires, special to this car, for it's capacity's and ability. It also has a LOW range transfer case for climbing or crawling, onboard air compressor with 2 hoses, tire monitors that alert within 1/2 psi of variance, automatic load leveling, 8 air bags, 4 zone A/C, tip-tronic tranny, pop-out headlamp washers, stability control, auto leveling Zenon headlights(very cool when towing), yada-yada. We also have an X5 Beemer, and the VW walks away from it in every aspect, but it just had a couple early glitches... I make no apology's for how fast I drive, or what I tow, just that the car can do what I wanted it to do, at any given time.

JH

Quick Reply: Towin with a Touregg (VW)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.