Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Very Important Speaker Info (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/83474-very-important-speaker-info.html)

RJ1340 07-18-2004 02:52 PM

Very Important Speaker Info

Best sounding, easiest to install, best look and CHEAPEST speaker I ever had. And most power handling!!!
This is not a commercial and I don't sell 'em. I found 'em and I'm passing the info along to you because these guys make everything we want to do to a boat so damn expensive. Anybody get a price on one of those Fusion sound systems at Grand Haven last week?
Anyway, Its a BOSS (not Bose), I got em online. If anyone's interested, I'll see if I still have the box they were shipped in so I can get you the website. They come in different sizes, I got the 61/2" 2-way speaker, handles 200W, grills screw in from outside. So easy, so permanent.
How much you ask? TWENTY NINE DOLLARS. That's right, folks $29.00 a pair. I saw them on the internet for as much as $49.00 and they'd still be a bargain at that price.
Easy listening, y'all

ragtop409 07-18-2004 06:18 PM

Re: Very Important Speaker Info

I heard some BOSS 6x9 in a 700,000 yacht sounded good to me have no idea of the price on them though. Rag's

Andy Buzz 07-18-2004 08:34 PM

I have installed two pairs of those for a customer with a very basic fishing boat. If you dont compare them to anything, they are great!! It just really depends on two things.
1) Do you like crisp clear mids and highs?
2) Is price the only factor when buying hardware for your boat.
Reality is that if you play ANY speaker without a good reference you cannot gauge your real sound expectations or limitations. Obviously, there is no comparison in terms of sound quality with the other brands that I sell.

With electronics, rarely is there a "free lunch." When a product is made, the manufacturer's marketing department positions their product in the market place and charges what they feel their product is worth in the marketplace. You are not just paying for a name when you purchase MBQuart or BABB. Lets just say the competition would not leave money on the table if they could get it and still sell their speakers.

In the boat business, the saying used to be that there is an ass for every seat. On mans junk could bring tons of satisfaction to another. If you can afford to spend a few more dollars on speakers, they will sound better. If you cant, there are lower cost options on quality speakers.

Looking for a lower priced quality speaker? Call 813-882-8477.
Andy Buzz
Buzz Off Alarm Systems
Maximum Audio

RJ1340 07-19-2004 10:28 AM

Crisp, clear mids and highs? What a load of self-serving crap! Its a boat, not a recording studio. There's wind, engine noise, your neighbors stereo, bunch of drunks yelling at each other and your ears limited ability to tell the difference. That's what I mean about everyone here trying to sell you the Brooklyn Bridge.
Sure Babb makes a good speaker. So what? It doesn't sound any better than the Boss and you can't shame me into feeling bad that I only paid $29.00 for my speakers.
Did you know that most rock producers mix down their 24 or 32 or however many tracks into left and right tracks using cheap car speakers? They do it for optimal sound in the intended listening area.
I've got a movie room at home with a 100" drop down screen, 3500 watts of power and theater seating. Would I use the Boss speakers in there? No. But they sound plenty good enough in the boat, where I'm running three amps and about 2800 watts.

aero-offshore 07-19-2004 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by RJ1340
Crisp, clear mids and highs? What a load of self-serving crap! Its a boat, not a recording studio. There's wind, engine noise, your neighbors stereo, bunch of drunks yelling at each other and your ears limited ability to tell the difference. That's what I mean about everyone here trying to sell you the Brooklyn Bridge.
Sure Babb makes a good speaker. So what? It doesn't sound any better than the Boss and you can't shame me into feeling bad that I only paid $29.00 for my speakers.

LMAO :) :) That's funny, and most speakers are manufactured at a few plants and sold under a hundred different names. :p

Steve_H 07-19-2004 12:30 PM

RJ1340 , have you got a link where you bought em?

Audiofn 07-19-2004 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by RJ1340
Did you know that most rock producers mix down their 24 or 32 or however many tracks into left and right tracks using cheap car speakers? They do it for optimal sound in the intended listening area.

PLEASE tell me that you do not actually think that is true!!!! Have you EVER been to a quality recording studio? Or just some retard that baught all his crap off ebay and then said that he owned a recording studio....

No a boat is not the best environment for audio, but a good pair of speakers will make it better. There is a lot to it beyond what you are saying. Location, type of material that the equipment is mounted in, and guess what... SOME LUCK (unless you are an accoustition)!!!! The higher end speakers will give you a MUCH more consistent result in sound and are more "forgiving" then the cheaper ones. I have done a few cars with cheap speakers and once in a while it all works out and they sound insanely good for the money spent, but other times I would rather have the stock system back in there. You may have gotten lucky, or maybe these speakers are the best deal in the world who knows but lets not go out there and spread bad info now :drink: :drink: :drink:

Audiofn 07-19-2004 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by aero-offshore
LMAO :) :) That's funny, and most speakers are manufactured at a few plants and sold under a hundred different names. :p

about 90% to be exact at my last check were made by Recoton who bought out Jensen. Jensen has for a VERY long time been the worlds largest producer of speakers by FAR.

fund razor 07-19-2004 02:36 PM

Yep... and in pro sound it's Eminence drivers in everybody's cabinets.

Audiofn 07-19-2004 03:04 PM

I am not saying that high end if for everyone, on the contrary it is for the few that can afford it, or are such enthusiasts that they will pay to play. However I venture to say that you can hear a difference btwn a stereo system that is 400,000 and one that is a cool million (that is for two speakers, turntable, cables, and two or four amps, and a pre-amp.) Now is that difference worth it? Well only you can say. Some of us drive German cars, others American Cars, others Japaneese cars. They all get us there just some in more comfort and fun then others.