Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Towing a PWC behind boat? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/83479-towing-pwc-behind-boat.html)

CMG 07-18-2004 05:36 PM

Towing a PWC behind boat?

Simple question - need to drop boat a ramp, drive few miles to leave truck/trailer a family lake house, sometimes noone there for ride back and can take a jetski back to boat. How far back from boat on line should I tow and will speed be an issue? Will the MPs care? Thanks,

buck183 07-18-2004 06:05 PM

Re: Towing a PWC behind boat?

I think speed and distance are all relavent to the situation. Common sense would have to prevail here.

The thing that comes to mind for me is the water lines on the PWC. They may need to be clamped off to prevent forcing water into the engine and hydro locking it. I've seen this happen on more than one occasion. You should be able to check your owner's manual for proper towing procedures for your PWC.

Buck

Ted G 07-18-2004 07:15 PM

Sea Doo is the only one that says it has to be clamped off to tow. I have towed mine at 30 mph or so about 50 feet back in the wake. Once it planes off it's not too bad. But you should make a very heavy bridle and check to make sure that the tow eyes on the boat are very secure.
You may also want to put a larger plate on the tow eye of the ski to distribute the load better. For short pulls it should be a breeze.

mcollinstn 07-19-2004 09:31 PM

I tow all the time.
SeaDoos will fill the motor with water. Clamping the lines is still not a sure bet. The only way to tow a SeaDoo is to install bal valves in the two cooling lines and close them completely off. That works fine.

I've owned six different Yamahas personally and have towed them all with no ill results. I have towed them up to 60 mph. The farther back you put them, the better they tow. Pull them off the lowest bow eye (some have one at the hull joint - use the low one). I've towed three at the same time at 55mph on a choppy day on Lake Cumberland. They got their share of airtime on a rope. No ill effects.

I have a friend who tows his Kawasaki with no problems.

mopower 07-19-2004 10:12 PM

[QUOTE=mcollinstn]I tow all the time.
I've owned six different Yamahas personally and have towed them all with no ill results. I have towed them up to 60 mph. QUOTE]

Just don't stop fast :eek:

mcollinstn 07-19-2004 10:56 PM

they actually slow down faster than the tow boat. lots of drag scooping water thru those pumps with the impellers stationary..

Only when you come to a complete stop and begin backing up to maneuver around docks do they tend to turn around backwards or twist up their lines. When I tow multiples, I pull #1 at about 120' back, with 20' between each one tied bow eye to stern.

nautiintention 07-21-2004 04:16 AM

My brother would to tow a 1300 Yamaha 3 seater behind his Sonic about 100' back and would run 40-50mph with out a problem. When he would come off plane he never had a problem with them getting too close to the boat.