Notices

Towing a PWC behind boat?

Old 07-18-2004, 05:36 PM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Towing a PWC behind boat?

Simple question - need to drop boat a ramp, drive few miles to leave truck/trailer a family lake house, sometimes noone there for ride back and can take a jetski back to boat. How far back from boat on line should I tow and will speed be an issue? Will the MPs care? Thanks,
Old 07-18-2004, 06:05 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Towing a PWC behind boat?

I think speed and distance are all relavent to the situation. Common sense would have to prevail here.

The thing that comes to mind for me is the water lines on the PWC. They may need to be clamped off to prevent forcing water into the engine and hydro locking it. I've seen this happen on more than one occasion. You should be able to check your owner's manual for proper towing procedures for your PWC.

Buck
Old 07-18-2004, 07:15 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sea Doo is the only one that says it has to be clamped off to tow. I have towed mine at 30 mph or so about 50 feet back in the wake. Once it planes off it's not too bad. But you should make a very heavy bridle and check to make sure that the tow eyes on the boat are very secure.
You may also want to put a larger plate on the tow eye of the ski to distribute the load better. For short pulls it should be a breeze.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:31 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

I tow all the time.
SeaDoos will fill the motor with water. Clamping the lines is still not a sure bet. The only way to tow a SeaDoo is to install bal valves in the two cooling lines and close them completely off. That works fine.

I've owned six different Yamahas personally and have towed them all with no ill results. I have towed them up to 60 mph. The farther back you put them, the better they tow. Pull them off the lowest bow eye (some have one at the hull joint - use the low one). I've towed three at the same time at 55mph on a choppy day on Lake Cumberland. They got their share of airtime on a rope. No ill effects.

I have a friend who tows his Kawasaki with no problems.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:12 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=mcollinstn]I tow all the time.
I've owned six different Yamahas personally and have towed them all with no ill results. I have towed them up to 60 mph. QUOTE]

Just don't stop fast
Old 07-19-2004, 10:56 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

they actually slow down faster than the tow boat. lots of drag scooping water thru those pumps with the impellers stationary..

Only when you come to a complete stop and begin backing up to maneuver around docks do they tend to turn around backwards or twist up their lines. When I tow multiples, I pull #1 at about 120' back, with 20' between each one tied bow eye to stern.
Old 07-21-2004, 04:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My brother would to tow a 1300 Yamaha 3 seater behind his Sonic about 100' back and would run 40-50mph with out a problem. When he would come off plane he never had a problem with them getting too close to the boat.