Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Decissions? 6 boats, need more info to decide. >

Decissions? 6 boats, need more info to decide.

Notices

Decissions? 6 boats, need more info to decide.

Old 07-21-2004, 08:19 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts
Default Re: Decissions? 6 boats, need more info to decide.

However, the cabin in the Fountain blows, and it's not 29 feet at the waterline, more like 26 after the bow, swimplatform, and notch. Hopefully OSO member Nordic Heat will re-post his detailed post from yesterday, he runs about 800hp in his and it handles the power well, and also has one of the best cabins in that size range.

Last edited by Indy; 07-21-2004 at 08:26 AM.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the 280/320 Velocity's have nice amenities..and would run awesome on a lake, and in the Pacific...
Old 07-21-2004, 10:17 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Poker,
I think your right about the speed on that Fountain. Looking at reviews it seems fast. But like Indy said it's a shorter boat. How will it ride the big water compared to Pantera? Be easy guys I know thier two different bottoms.
By the way who messed with my thead?? Inside connection here somewhere?
Old 07-21-2004, 12:24 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wink Re: Decissions? 6 boats, need more info to decide.

Hey FasterDamitt,
It’s a shame that all of the post were lost and I don’t really have time to reiterate all that I wrote but I’ll try.
First off make sure you answer all of “YOUR” questions regarding your needs before you make any decisions. A lot of people get side tracked so I’ll try and be specific as possible about what you are asking.
Here are some owner views on our particular boat only.
As you can see, we own a 28 foot Nordic Heat with a blown 540. We bought it because it fit our needs in some of the following areas.
· We are lake boaters in the Southwest region of the country…The Nordic handles the lakes that we see (Lake Powell, Havasu, Mead, etc..) with little effort. Would I run it in the ocean swell jumping? Probably not.
· We overnight always and there’s not a boat in the afore mentioned group with a cabin as big and comfortable. A very large part of our decision!
· Unique looks were a plus for us but strictly a taste thing. You won’t ever be confused with a different boat
· Overall handling until 3 weeks ago was marginal at best. With a Bravo One prop the boat does not have many good characteristics. It blew out every time we planed or turned and also the cruise speed was pretty deplorable at 3500 rpm with tons of slip. We recently purchased a Hydromotive P5-X (with a bit of added cup) and it has totally changed the personality of this boat. It has transformed the boat into an extremely well mannered boat that cruises quite nicely (+6 mph at 3500) and has generated some very good gains on the top. This could be a whole different subject so I’ll continue on with the theme.
· Fit and finish… read the magazines; very representative of what you’ll find. Very nicely done and up to date.
· Speed…well I can tell you first hand that it takes a bunch of hp to go fast in this boat which is somewhat of a disappointment; or is it?. I have the same blown 540 (548 to be exact ;o) motor that many of us here have built and it easily generates 800+ hp when boosted to do so. My speed at Lake Mead (1200 feet) has been consistently ~88 mph on GPS with a stock 30 Bravo. The generous speedo reads 95-97 at those speeds; gotta love those speedos ;o) I live at 5000 feet which is where I have tested the Hydro P5-X (27 pitch) and picked up 3-4 mph versus my home elevation 28 Bravo. My thinking is that if I swap out the 30 Bravo for a correctly pitched Hydro 5 blade (28 or29) when dropping down in elevation the boat will run in the 90-92 mph range. These are real GPS numbers BTW; no sales pitchs.
· Handling at speed…this where it might surprise you; it has me. It may take some hp to get big numbers but this may be the trade off. I have no tabs and when running at or near 90 mph the boat tracks and handles flawlessly. The boat does nothing but go straight like it is on rails. No rocking, no hopping, no nothing…quite boring actually.

Not so good…
· Ergonomics… Driving position is not very comfortable. This can be somewhat cured by when ordering that you specify the seat to be moved up 3” and have the throttle handle reversed. If you do this make sure you call them every week and remind them which brings me to…
· Customer Service…unless it has changed in the last 3 years, most calls fall on deaf ears. Also add a month at least to any promised delivery.
· Fully carpeted is kind of pain in the rear but I understand that you can now order the boat with a fiberglass liner. I will say however that spending every weekend possible over the last three years, the upholstery has held up extremely well.
· Storage could be better and can be if ordered as such I believe.
· Trailer pulls absolutely wonderful but is too low slung and drags on everything. Also as Indy mentioned, they are not for saltwater. They are actually painted and it would be very nice and 21st century like if they were to powdercoat the trailers.

Overall, a very striking boat that is built with excellent quality when compared to other(s) pricing. That meaning that I feel the price is right.
Handles extremely well if ordered with a P5-X prop and goes fast and stable with enough power.
Let me know if I’ve not touched on something you would like to hear about and I’ll try and answer.
Hope this helps,
Dave
Attached Thumbnails Decissions? 6 boats, need more info to decide.-heatwave.jpg  

Last edited by NordicHeat; 07-21-2004 at 04:08 PM.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:56 PM
Registered

Why can't I post pictures anymore??????????
Here's two more links
Attached Thumbnails Decissions? 6 boats, need more info to decide.-dsc00387.jpg   Decissions? 6 boats, need more info to decide.-dsc00988.jpg  
Old 07-21-2004, 12:57 PM
Registered

Oops, guess I can...
Old 07-21-2004, 02:21 PM
Registered

Thanks again Dave, Great write-up. That's the info I need to make decissions.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:26 AM
Registered

REPOST
I think your right about the speed on that Fountain. Looking at reviews it seems fast. But like Indy said it's a shorter boat. How will it ride the big water compared to Pantera? Be easy guys I know thier two different bottoms.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:27 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Try to narrow it down to 2-3 boats, then take a ride on them.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:45 AM
Performance Boat Center
VIP Member

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Well,
What can I say???
I am happy with my Pantera...
But I can also help you out with a new or pre-owned 29 Fountain too...
It depends on where you want to run the boat.....

My Pantera is a '99 and it still looks like new... Quality build and very durable.
Attached Thumbnails Decissions? 6 boats, need more info to decide.-flight-1.jpg   Decissions? 6 boats, need more info to decide.-rough.jpg   Decissions? 6 boats, need more info to decide.-panteraengines.jpg  

954-809-8739
Wright Performance, MTI, Cigarette, Sunsation