has anyone payed $$ to be a race patrol boat >

has anyone payed $$ to be a race patrol boat

Notices

has anyone payed $$ to be a race patrol boat

Old 07-17-2004, 08:28 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default has anyone payed $$ to be a race patrol boat

I finally, after some work, chased down the contact for race patrol for the OSS race that is coming to Grand haven, Mi in august. I wanted to volunteer my time and others in our boat club for race patrol, like we did last year for that race. this race is run by a different organization this year and they are building thier race patrol list from scratch. so i thought my offer woiuld be hlepful for them

they are appreciative of the offer but forwarded the fees for race patrol. $100 gets you 4 all access passes, 2 staff shirts, and 2 event shirts, and the opportunity to be in the "front row" for the race. ( yes that is a benefit and somewhat of a privelage) but i was surprised about the $100. I undedrstand completely that these races are not a charity event held by the promotor. and they need to be in the black.

my question is ... is this a common practice, has anyone ever paid to be a race patrol volunteer. it does take a commitment of the two days, ( for me it is the hassle of the wife agreeing i can be on the boat all weekend with the boys, as she would get sick for sure)

just curious.
I will do it regardless, for the sake of the sport, and the front row view. but my "dutch" buddies are himm'na and haw'n......

opinions?

thanks

Ramb
Old 07-17-2004, 09:02 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: has anyone payed $$ to be a race patrol boat

That must be the check these guys are holding up!!!
Attached Thumbnails has anyone payed $$ to be a race patrol boat-checktyph.jpg   has anyone payed $$ to be a race patrol boat-checkwild.jpg  
Old 07-17-2004, 09:02 PM
jtmiller02

Those are some expensive shirts for that price. I understand covering cost, but WTF? Sounds like they are trying to make $ off the people who try to volunteer their time and effort to make the event a success. I could be wrong but that seems a little counter-productive. I geuss you can always wait and see who comes calling when nobody "volunteers" at that rate. To me thats kinda like the people who charge you to adopt an animal and then wonder why they can't get people to take them. Volunteering is different from paying for something.

Old 07-17-2004, 10:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like sprint car racing. You pay extra to get into the pits so your crew can work on the car. Whats up with that ?
Old 07-17-2004, 10:13 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am sitting here absolutely laughing my azz off. Be sure to read the fine print of any agreement..........

To have a cooler on your boat - $8.50
To take your shirt off - $3.00
Want to use binoculars - $13.00
Got a camera - $1.95 per picture
No OSS decal - $29.00

Just kidding........of course.
Old 07-17-2004, 10:42 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

I could maybe see having you join the local club for $20 or so, but $100 is obsurd. I run the volunteers for OPA and sometimes I feel like we should pay the volunteers for their time and equipment.

Our volunteers get two shirts, two tickets to a super nice party the night before the race and a huge thank you after it all over. I hope the get enough volunteers to keep the racers safe.
Old 07-18-2004, 01:35 AM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Rob, who did you talk to?? If not Keith at Baker Engineering, call him directly and get the straight story on this. Seems absurd to me.
Old 07-18-2004, 02:27 AM
Registered

They saw you coming, they are playing on the fact you want this so bad, like they say, everything is for sale. That and the fact this is a new organization who is starving for money because no one is sure of them and advertising dollars are probably few and far between. I think it is sad, they are obviously looking a gift horse in the mouth, how much do you think it would cost THEM to hire a crew like you???? Very short sighted and opportunist if you ask me. We pay enough to own and run these boats and when a gracious offer such as yours comes along the last thing we want to hear is "Pay up Sucka" Let the racers fend off the hoards of dumb a$$ drunks who want to get close, let them pay the millions it will cost in law suits for the first one of these dumb a$$es that get hit. I would tell them "thanks but no thanks, I can get just as close because you will have no one guarding the course because no one will pay." Then say "oh yea, I am going to run with these guys down the stretch and you can't stop me."
Old 07-18-2004, 06:30 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Cant believe you would pay for the "privilage" of helping them out with your boat,gas,time & effort. How much will you give me to wax my boat ?

I'll give you a shirt & 6-pack !
Old 07-18-2004, 06:49 AM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

I wouldn't pay to do work for someone else. You already pay enoug just to be running your boat for those 2 days. Like Mitch said, you'll have fun running with the racers when there's no patrol!

Quick Reply: has anyone payed $$ to be a race patrol boat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.