Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Trade the boat for a Car!?!?!? What?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/83717-trade-boat-car-what.html)

Panther 07-22-2004 04:04 PM

Trade the boat for a Car!?!?!? What??

Ok, so I had someone call me about my boat today because it is listed for sale.

This guy wants to trade me his "mint" BMW 740i for my boat. Why would I want a BMW 740i? I think if I was looking for a car I would just go by one!

Panther

Cord 07-22-2004 04:10 PM

Re: Trade the boat for a Car!?!?!? What??

He wasn't hoping you'd give him the cash difference back, now was he?

Panther 07-22-2004 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Cord
He wasn't hoping you'd give him the cash difference back, now was he?

I think it's more this; he would give me the cash difference. I presume it was used....

lucky strike 07-22-2004 04:24 PM

Sometimes it's easier to sell a car than a boat
Call a BMW dealer and get a wholesale buy number, or take the car to the dealer
Then you will know where you are at money wise.
Then make your deal, if it makes sense to you.

L.S.

Blonde Cig Chick 07-22-2004 04:36 PM

i had people call me with the same offer numerous times when i was trying to sell my TG. it went from a ferrari, to totorhomes to other boats. then adding insult to injury i always got "well of course i want double retail value for my trade i need to you take, and i expect you to sell your boat for less than wholesale value."

"oh gee, where do i sign up for that deal?" in response, i always had the same reply......look, wholesale to wholesale, or retail to retail. which way do you want it? when it comes to writing a check, their arms shrink up into their shoulders!

i understand your frustration :(

IDRPSTF 07-22-2004 08:49 PM

BCC,
Glad you didnt add Porsche 996TT in there or you would have been talking about me.

Cars are great trades on boats. But the deal has to be right. And there really isnt a "Wholesale Book" on High Performance boats.
Just call a car dealership and ask for a "Buy Bid" from the used car MNGR. and you will know the actual dump it today cash value for the car. I have been selling both for years, cars are 10 times easier!

Panther 07-23-2004 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by IDRPSTF
BCC,
Glad you didnt add Porsche 996TT in there or you would have been talking about me.

Cars are great trades on boats. But the deal has to be right. And there really isnt a "Wholesale Book" on High Performance boats.
Just call a car dealership and ask for a "Buy Bid" from the used car MNGR. and you will know the actual dump it today cash value for the car. I have been selling both for years, cars are 10 times easier!

I understand what you are saying, but I just don't have the time or the patience for a "swap and sell". I need to sell my boat in the next 3-4 months and am very flexible on price. I just need the cash on hand to buy the next one.

I travel a lot and just don't have the time to do the research and swap stuff around. I have a friend who does this kind of stuff a lot but I just don't have the patience for it.

thanks for the input...

Panther

IDRPSTF 07-24-2004 12:49 PM

Best of luck to you with the sale.

MD

NJgr8ful 07-24-2004 02:09 PM

Sure Panther ... very common. I had couple different offers last month on my boat, one guy offering a 'mint' 60's Dodge ???, never saw (wanted) it and someone else wanted to trade a Harley sportster ... obviously, all depends what it's worth and if you want it. :)

If you need cash than it ain't happening, otherwise it could be interesting and can't hurt for asking. Personally, I'll always listen to a caller and what they 'think' is worth for what I'm selling, cuz someday I may be on the other end ... you can always say "no thanks" ;)

A 'mint' '03 745i is worth @60K ... not a 740i though ... 20-40K depending on year, cond, miles, etc.