Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Florida Class A,B,C License ? >

Florida Class A,B,C License ?

Notices

Florida Class A,B,C License ?

Old 07-23-2004, 03:18 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Florida Class A,B,C License ?

Originally Posted by RollWithIt
Yeah, and when you go in person, expect to wait about 4 hours in line.
That depends on what city you are in. In Orlando, I dropped one of my guys off to renew his license, and picked him up 3.5 hours later.

But in Dixie County, we walked in and Deb immediately got hers renewed, the longest wait was for the picture to develope.
Old 07-23-2004, 03:55 PM
Registered

When I moved here from OHIO they gave me a Class D I did not ask or know anything about this. I did here it on the radio the other day one of the disc jockeys got a ticket in his hummer. Why did I get a D and others have the other classes?
Old 07-23-2004, 04:02 PM
Registered

These are from the States License site so as long as you have a D you can drive a 3/4 or 1 ton right?

CLASS A: Any Tractor/Trailer combination that has an actual weight, declared weight or GVWR of 26,001 LBS. or more, provided towed vehicle is more than 10,000 LBS.

CLASS B: Any single motor vehicle that has an actual weight, declared weight or GVWR of 26,001 LBS. or more, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle of 10,000 LBS. or less.

CLASS C: Any motor vehicle that has an actual weight, declared weight or GVWR of less than 26,001 LBS. when endorsements "H" or "P" would be required on the driver license OR any combination of motor vehicles where the towing vehicle is less than 26,001 LBS. GVWR and the towed vehicle has a GVWR of 10,000 LBS. or less, but together they weigh 26,001 LBS. or more.

Back

NonCommercial Driver Licenses
CLASS D: Any truck or truck tractor that has an actual weight, declared weight, or GVWR of 8,000 LBS or more but less than than 26,001 LBS. or is more than 80 inches wide.

A resident who holds a valid Florida chauffeur license may continue to operate vehicles for which a CLASS D driver license is required until the chauffeur license expires. This includes farmers and emergency vehicle operators who are exempt.
CLASS E: Motor vehicles less than 8,000 LBS.

A resident who holds a valid Florida operator license may continue to operate vehicles for which a CLASS E driver license is required, until the operator license expires
Old 07-23-2004, 04:58 PM
Registered

Thanks Andrew. Just another way to squeeze a buck out of ya. The Florida State Police said they were not going to ticket anyone for this but it was up to each jurisdiction to decide. Dave Warden
Old 07-23-2004, 06:34 PM
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

like jason said earlier...a friend of mine got nailed for this one... I "technically" need one, but my truck is registered as 7999lbs... so it is under, Just...
Old 07-23-2004, 07:42 PM
Registered

So, its sounds like I need to upgrade from E to D, any one have the test, do you take it at dmv , how much is the upgrade.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:23 PM
Registered

Lets not forget the dealers are at fault too. I for one would go back to have them buy my truck back. They sent you out the door illegaly. I'm sure they for one are going to push this legislation through. I would think their liabel.
Old 07-24-2004, 02:48 AM
Registered

I think you are missing the section 322.53 (e) about "Straight Trucks" that transport tangable property that is not for sale being exempt.

322.53 (2) The following persons are exempt from the requirement to obtain a commercial driver's license:

322.53 (2) (d) Drivers of recreational vehicles, as defined in s. 320.01.

322.53 (2) (e) Drivers who operate straight trucks, as defined in s. 316.003, that are exclusively transporting their own tangible personal property which is not for sale.

322.53 (5) A resident who is exempt from obtaining a commercial driver's license pursuant to paragraph (2)(b), paragraph (2)(d), paragraph (2)(e), or paragraph (2)(f) may drive a commercial motor vehicle pursuant to the exemption granted in paragraph (2)(b), paragraph (2)(d), paragraph (2)(e), or paragraph (2)(f) if he or she possesses a valid Class D or Class E driver's license or a military license.

322.01 (8) "Commercial motor vehicle" means any motor vehicle or motor vehicle combination used on the streets or highways, which:

(a) Has a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more;

(b) Has a declared weight of 26,001 pounds or more;

(c) Has an actual weight of 26,001 pounds or more;

(d) Is designed to transport more than 15 persons, including the driver; or

(e) Is transporting hazardous materials and is required to be placarded in accordance with Title 49 C.F.R. part 172, subpart F.

316.003 (70) STRAIGHT TRUCK.--Any truck on which the cargo unit and the motive power unit are located on the same frame so as to form a single, rigid unit.

320.01 (b) A recreational vehicle-type unit primarily designed as temporary living quarters for recreational, camping, or travel use, which either has its own motive power or is mounted on or drawn by another vehicle. Recreational vehicle-type units, when traveling on the public roadways of this state, must comply with the length and width provisions of s. 316.515, as that section may hereafter be amended. As defined below, the basic entities are:

320.01 (b) (1.) The "travel trailer," which is a vehicular portable unit, mounted on wheels, of such a size or weight as not to require special highway movement permits when drawn by a motorized vehicle. It is primarily designed and constructed to provide temporary living quarters for recreational, camping, or travel use. It has a body width of no more than 81/2 feet and an overall body length of no more than 40 feet when factory-equipped for the road.

320.01 (b) (2.) The "camping trailer," which is a vehicular portable unit mounted on wheels and constructed with collapsible partial sidewalls which fold for towing by another vehicle and unfold at the campsite to provide temporary living quarters for recreational, camping, or travel use.

320.01 (b) (3.) The "truck camper," which is a truck equipped with a portable unit designed to be loaded onto, or affixed to, the bed or chassis of the truck and constructed to provide temporary living quarters for recreational, camping, or travel use.

320.01 (b) (4.) The "motor home," which is a vehicular unit which does not exceed the length, height, and width limitations provided in s. 316.515, is a self-propelled motor vehicle, and is primarily designed to provide temporary living quarters for recreational, camping, or travel use.

320.01 (b) (5.) The "private motor coach," which is a vehicular unit which does not exceed the length, width, and height limitations provided in s. 316.515(9), is built on a self-propelled bus type chassis having no fewer than three load-bearing axles, and is primarily designed to provide temporary living quarters for recreational, camping, or travel use.

320.01 (b) (6.) The "van conversion," which is a vehicular unit which does not exceed the length and width limitations provided in s. 316.515, is built on a self-propelled motor vehicle chassis, and is designed for recreation, camping, and travel use.

320.01 (b) (8.) The "fifth-wheel trailer," which is a vehicular unit mounted on wheels, designed to provide temporary living quarters for recreational, camping, or travel use, of such size or weight as not to require a special highway movement permit, of gross trailer area not to exceed 400 square feet in the setup mode, and designed to be towed by a motorized vehicle that contains a towing mechanism that is mounted above or forward of the tow vehicle's rear axle.

But what do I know?..........probably not enough. I do know that most agencies have a problem reading the statutes.......the key is in the definitions and exemptions.

Last edited by Andrew Corn; 07-24-2004 at 09:18 AM.
Old 07-24-2004, 06:59 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

What about people coming into Fla. with a License from another state? How are they
classed?
Old 07-24-2004, 07:03 AM
Registered

The "Commander" of the Florida State Police has issued a memorandum to all state troopers to stop enforcement of this particular law.

It is expected to be deleted after the first of the year.

Quick Reply: Florida Class A,B,C License ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.