Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Update** trailer safety sticker in Illinois (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/83765-update%2A%2A-trailer-safety-sticker-illinois.html)

baja272 07-23-2004 02:11 PM

Update** trailer safety sticker in Illinois

***** update ***** update ***** update *****

After a weeks worth of research and no one, even the Secretary of State Police inspectors kew what the heck I was talking about, I contacted the Chief of Police for the town of Tower Lakes Illinois and asked him how I am supposed to fufill my obligation if the Secretary of State Police states that my trailer is not in any violation. The Chief stated that he would look into the matter and contact me back.....

10 minutes later I received a call from the Chief of Police. He informed me that "the officer was wrong" and "made a mistake". ther is no inspection required for a poersonally owned boat treailer or for my vehicle. He then stated "I greatly apologize for all of the inconvenience my officer caused" and apologized for his officers lack of knowledge with the Illinois Vehicle Code.

I then stated that I drive through his town every weekend and I did not want to have a "bullseye" on my truck and trailer everytime I drove through. I hope the officer won't pull me over for going 2 mph over the limit....he stated that woul not happen.....we'll see.

Anyway, he stated he would void the citation and for me not to pay the fine.

Why aren't cops out to "protect and serve" rather than to cause good people a difficult time with something they don't have total knowledge over???? Then when they are pulling you over and talking to you about it they act with an arrogance that is totally uncalled for??????

Wally 07-23-2004 02:30 PM

Re: Update** trailer safety sticker in Illinois

they are more on the lookout for people who dont know any better and will hopefully pay the warning or fine and move on.......atleast thats the way i see it sometimes. Like i had mentioned in the first post (that got lost) a few friends have been pulled over for not haveing a CDL licence when towing their personal car trailers with dualls and weighing in at over the 25001lbs that out regular liseces are rated for.......but if its not used for comercial purposes and only for pleasure then why get a CDL? They have all gotten off the tickets for just that reason......And when we called the testing facility to try and get a CDL they said you need a truck and trailer combo.....we told them what we were driving and they said NO.....So how is one supposed to get a CDL if you dont even drive a truck/trailer combo worthy of a CDL?????? What a bunch of dumbass's! :mad:

Moretorque 08-31-2011 05:09 PM

Trailer safety sticker

Well, 7 yrs after this thread was posted I got a citation last week for my boat trailer not displaying a safety certification sticker. After checking with Illinois's DOT, evidently you do need to have your trailer safety certified ever six months if the weight of the trailer is greater than 5000 lbs.

The source is Illinois vehicle code 625 ILCS 5/13‑101 subsection (c) which states:

"However, none of the provisions of Chapter 13 requiring safety tests or a certificate of safety shall apply to:
(c): " a semitrailer or trailer having a gross weight of 5,000 pounds or less including vehicle weight and maximum load."

So there you have it. Looks like they are enforcing that provision in the traffic code to require boat owners with weights in excess of 5000 Lbs to get a safety sticker ever 6 months.

As long as your truck weighs less than 8000 Lbs you don't need to have your truck certified unless you have "D" plates signifying the truck as a second division vehicle....just in case the testing agency wants to sell you a sticker for your truck as well...

Smitty 08-31-2011 06:17 PM

Actually if your truck is under 8000 lbs, but is the "towing vehicle" it will need to be inspected also. Found that out the same way you found out about the trailer inspection. I used to have a "B" plate on my F-350, and got nailed because my trailer with boat was around 15K. I switched to a "D" plate and get both inspected now. Just another source of revenue for our broke state...

PremierPOWER 08-31-2011 06:55 PM

Can you do the inspection yourself and "self-certify". I know you can pick up an inspection packet at a Pilot truck stop. I have to admit that I have occasionally done this myself where I have bought a used truck or trailer and I am just trying to get it back to where I work without a hassle.

I wouldn't be supprised if they start asking for a CDL, checking to see that you cary a DOT medical card, and want a look at your milage log. According to our fleet manager, you still do not need these if you are towing a boat or camper (at least in Indiana and not for hire).

Wasted Income 09-01-2011 09:24 PM

What a crock of sht. I f'n hate this state..

yss 09-01-2011 10:26 PM

So what do I need to do? I have F-350 w/ B plate and my boat weighs 9000# and trailer weighs #? I should just claim residence w/ my GF 10 min away in Wisconsin. The money grab in Illinois is starting to get silly.

fireguy 09-01-2011 10:32 PM

Yup, every piece of crap we elect as governor ends up doin time, but they continue stickin it to the average joe every chance they get.

Ya gotta love our state.

Wally 09-02-2011 10:41 AM

Well i got stopped yesterday by a Glenview cop. It was an empty trailer i was moving for a buddy. The guy gave me the whole speach how they need safty inspection stickers etc. I argued it was not comercial use only private. And he stood his ground. I said show me the code...he couldnt...so he gave me a "verbal warning" but told me to have it taken care of or next time its a ticket! :rolleyes:

Anyway i did a little searching and found a nice list of places here in IL that do the inspections and issue stickers.

http://www.dot.state.il.us/trafficsa...orInternet.pdf

I called Benny's in Fox lake and to do a 3 axle boat trailer costs about $34 and takes like 15min with paperwork when they are not busy.

Moretorque 09-02-2011 11:36 AM

Trailer Safety Sticker in Illinois

There is so much confusion around this subject it's ridiculous. For those of you still confused about this whole subject I suggest you contact the Illinois DOT as they are supposedly the folks in the know that deal with transport related matters.

The DOT number in Illinois is 217-785-1181. Contacts there are Todd Hursten (sp?) and Cathy Allen. Ask to speak to these people and they will explain which trailers and trucks need to be inspected verses those that don't depending on the weight and your vehicle/trailer plates.

I've spoken to both these individuals and they have helped clarify matters per my earlier post. They also said that they are willing to contact any Safety Testing Agency to correct any confusion they may have on the interpretation of the Illinois Vehicle Code. Good luck!