Notices

king lice

Old 07-24-2004, 10:41 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts
Default king lice

Won a top speed radar shootout on my Waverunner today.

Got one warmup run and two real passes. Quarter mile course.

Ran a light warmup run cause I was on a fresh headgasket (orings actually) and I wanted a gentle heat cycle. Ran 73.6
Second run (first real pass) I blew a coolant line off the head and lightly seized it (line probably came off first run, but dum@ss here didn't check after the run). Radar guy never got a lock on me even though I was topped out early in the run. He was waiting for the last third of the pass. I shut down and pulled off the course at about halfway.
Cooled it, checked plugs and compression and even though the pressure was down in 2 and 3 (started at 224psi, was down to 205 in both holes while #1 was still 225), I decided to make a final run. Told radar guy to lock me as soon as he could.
I came out of the hole easy to save the motor, squeezed into it easy as she picked up steam. At halfway mark right as I got the carbs opened, she missed twice, softened up, then popped at least one headgasket all the way thru (O ring). Got towed in from the halfway point. He had a lock on me at 71mph as she went south.

They felt sorry for me and let my warmup speed be my number. Nobody topped it, although a GPR with nitrous oxide ran a 72.0

All the "80mph jetskis" from the other lakes around here couldn't break 70 for some odd reason...
Old 07-24-2004, 11:16 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: king lice

Congrats!

What kind of ski you running. I have a 2002 Honda 165hp turbo charged!

I love it. I heard I could get a lot more speed out of it. The fastest i've had it was 62, but that was on the speedo, so I'm sure its slower than what the speedo says.
Old 07-25-2004, 12:11 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

turbo honda runs around 58 gps. The 2 seater runs right at 60 gps. Seems that mods to see an honest 62 are pretty easy, but the factory ECU has a lot of built in barricades to much more than that.

I've got a temperamental old short course race boat. It's a 97 GP760 with a 1330cc stroker powervalve motor on race gas. When it's running right, it's mind blowing. Lately, it's been blowing other things (up, mainly).
Old 07-25-2004, 01:14 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

where are these runs ?? I'm picking up a RIVA prepped 4 stroke "H O" with their "stage 2" wake up kit. Was told it would go an honest 65+ I'll let you know if they are true to their word. After I get a few hours on it I'm going to pull the motor apart and try some port and valve clean up and make sure there are matched intake and exhaust manifold to head passages. I need to learn what works on these motors from the BIKE world as they have had them for a while. Should be F U N !! I"ll be going north with it on Wed 7/28 from Fla.to Nantucket. Are you near RT75/85 ?? Your boat/motor sounds pretty wild!! Are you using a triple with power valves?? Thanks AWsr
Old 07-25-2004, 08:43 AM
Registered

Location: Brussels, Ont. CAN. Landlocked between Lake Huron, Ontario and Erie

Too cool!

I'm wondering (since I haven't had much to do with waverunners) what kind of acceleration factor is involved with a bad boy like that? Does it want to pull your arms from their sockets?

Brian
Old 07-25-2004, 01:07 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

this was in nashville/hendersonville.

my boat was a closed course boat at one time then a mega surf launcher. Now I'm turning it into more of a topend boat. Setup is still leaning heavily towards handling and rough water hookup instead of smooth water speed.

Acceleration is dramatic. From 15 to 65 is realistically in the sub 3 second zone. Probably less. Throttle control is extremely sensitive due to the porting and triple pipes. Virtually all but impossible to ride in normal conditions at 35mph one-handed. Trigger so touchy that you can't help but accidentally accelrate hard enough to pitch you off. The only way to adjust goggles and such is to accelerate and then take a hand off to adjust while slowing down. Running about 45 and snapping it open will throw your head back and make you look at the sky the first few times till you get used to it. Get killer hand cramps and arm pump trying to ride anywhere at a steady speed. Carbs so big (48 Novis) that if you crack them right off idle, you go from idle to 44mph. Anything inbetween is sputtering and missing. Can only ride at 25 mph if you have it spitting and sputtering and half loading up. Not exactly a family boat. I've let friends who are fairly used to fast things take it for a ride and they are all shaky and wild eyed when they climb off. I'm kind of used to it and wanting more...

Yes it has triples and powervalves, although the 97-99 Yamaha 1100/1200's did not come from the factory with provisions for powervalves. The cylinder block is a R&D aftermarket casting with SeaDoo style gas operated powervalves in it. 00 and newer Yamahas have individual cylinders with powervalves versus the one three cylinder casting the 66U motors like I have.

It's just another toy.
Old 07-25-2004, 06:13 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't ridden a wave runner since I wiped out on one going only 35. That was fast enough to hurt once you hit the water in a contorted position. Now 70? I just don't think I would want to try that. You guys are brave but be careful nonetheless.

Roby
Old 07-25-2004, 08:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny my brother has a new 215 Hp Sea Doo I haven't lost a race yet with it out on the water. I even smoked a few stock baja's with it so far
Old 07-25-2004, 08:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the concensus on the new supercharged Ski-doo?

I have a 1200R Jet-ski I might want to trade/sell for one.
Old 07-25-2004, 09:51 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I also have a '00 1200 XL that the local Naples fla yamaha dealer rebuilt under waranty after the oil line to the middle cyl. came off and fried that piston and barrel. Of course they said they should re-ring the other two cyls. while it was apart. That was nov. '03 I had only used the w/run. 4 or5 hrs. and the aft cyl. fried. Of course this happened one week after the waranty ran out. The dealer wouldn't stand behind their work, nor did corperate yamaha want to know anything.The moral is to be out of the watercraft before the waranty is over. SO I priced a stoct rebuild [3000 to 3500$] Then Icalled Group K and I think I'm going to have them do a hot rod motor. They want you to do intake grat and pump and impeller work. I was looking for mid to upper 60's Both places I ride Naples fla &nantucket are rough water/ocean swells so having the 3 seater xL and the new FX HO I"m picking up this week are the right boats for that water. Are you using a digital controler for your ignition?? The 3's need serious retard at upper rpms Pro tec makes one that is highly recomended. Do you know anyone who has done a big bore kit?? If you do Who did the work and how is it holding up?? thanks AWsr

Quick Reply: king lice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.