Notices

what about Scarab???

Old 07-25-2004, 12:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what about Scarab???

I need some help here guys and gals. Im trying to get into the biggest, newest, fastest boat for under 70k. Most bang for the buck i guess.
I found a 38 scarab in my area. Its a 1996 with 502 mpi's, lathem steering, corsa silent choice, trailor, nicely equipt. gps etc. 280 hrs. 70k. This seems like a decent deal to me. Im trying to get into something i will keep for several years so bigger is better. (dont want to get 2 foot itis next year)
I expect this boat to run in the mid to high 60's. which is good enough for now. I need opinions on quality, problems, any issues with 96 scarabs. Can anybody help me with my decision????
Also Seans cafe has me interested. but age and trs has me worried about resale. Im also leaning to stock power for reliability. Im so confused somebody help me.
Old 07-25-2004, 04:36 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Default Re: what about Scarab???

Dono,

A little bit of info on the 38. I own 1996 29 Scarab. I have 2 friends that have had them and I have personnely spent a lot of time on both of them. What the heck the HELL of lot smoother in rough stuff than mine. The 96 did not have a lot of problems. Their was some info released of the inner linner of the cabin coming unbonded from the hull, but that problem has been far and few between.

And yes,,they have quit making them. But your boat is older you are purchasing, so warranty is not a factor here. So you dealing with a piece of fiberglass and some motor, which anyone will work on for a price such as others.If your buying the boat with Latham steering thats great. I would not buy a powerboat if possible without good hydraulic steering system. I even had mine added after purchasing the boat. Also it is known that Scarabs are tough enough to handle serious Horsepower. There are quite a few older as well as newer models with some serious ponies in them and they have held up quite well.

The price of 70 is a good price. With that size of a boat I would pay to have it surveyed if your seriously interested. They need to check moisture content and stringers ect,, The boat is a great solid riding boat in the roughest of stuff. We have run in 5 to 7 footers in the Gulf of Mexico. I personally am going to a 38 in the next couple of years myself.

I was looking at Scarabs and also Cigarette Top Guns. The reason for a Top Gun is resale value has shown to be better. Scarab does pretty good also but not as good cigarette. So due to the size of the investment I want something that will help me out on resale just in case I need to sell.

This has just been my opinion so I hope noone slams me for it. I'm sure you'll get some more info on from others on this. Good luck on your decision!

Shawn
Old 07-25-2004, 04:58 AM
Registered

Shawn,
Thanks for the reply. I was origonally looking at cigs but its hard to find anything in my price range thats not 15 yrs old. I've also been considering the cafe that Sean a member on here has for sale. The Scarab is almost 10 years newer and the stock power is probably better suited for my use, although i love the sound of big power.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:05 AM
Registered

Received 292 Likes on 107 Posts

i would buy seans cig. clean boat , well maintained and don't let a trs drive scare you.it won't hurt you if you don't hurt it.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:17 AM
Registered

Don't buy Sean's Cafe! I want it!
Old 07-25-2004, 08:28 AM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Dono] Im trying to get into something i will keep for several years so bigger is better. (dont want to get 2 foot itis next year)
I expect this boat to run in the mid to high 60's. which is good enough for now. QUOTE]

Like most of us, you'll want a faster boat before bigger (faster-itis). Trust me, high 60's won't be fast enough for long! I'd keep an open mind when it comes to the brand. Everyone wants a cig but like you said, you'd be buying a 15 year old boat and the old ones are relatively slow without big power. Plug $70k into boat trader and see what you get, just stay away from the low end brands (no, not mentioning names ).
Old 07-25-2004, 09:50 AM
Registered

That is alot of boat for 70k
Old 07-25-2004, 09:51 AM
CBPBA's Walmart Greeter
VIP Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

If you're really looking for a good bang for the buck, don't count the 34' Scarab out. With stock power, 65-70MPH is easy with the reliability and dependability you're looking for, as well as the heavy and smooth ride. 1990's and above have Bravo's, and no teak. Typically selling for 1/3 less than the $75k budget you have.

-----------------------------------------

CHESAPEAKE BAY POWER BOAT ASSOCIATION
'http://www.cbpba.com'

"Experience is something you don't have until just after you need it."
Old 07-25-2004, 12:59 PM
Registered

Wink Re: what about Scarab???

what about 36 foot baja outlaw 1997?brand new motors 509 rollers,bravos,brand new hydraulic steering?plus a 2002 triple axle trailer, what ac in the cabin too!Big stereo amps subwoofers monster guages ect ect ect whoops sorry got carried away 80k 631-774-5311 and im serious.

Last edited by plumbers crack; 07-25-2004 at 01:07 PM. Reason: forgot size
Old 07-25-2004, 06:49 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You might want to get in contact with Augie Pensa. He races a 38 Scarab and i believe its a 96. He will be able to tell you the ins and outs of the boat.

Quick Reply: what about Scarab???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.