Like Tree0Likes

fairwell to Doug Lewis

Old 07-28-2004, 12:48 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

My Boats: 1991 DIRTY LAUNDRY MODEL
Default Re: fairwell to Doug Louis

Doug Lewis was an inspiration to us all. Visiting Doug was always a positive experience.
He encouraged me to reach for my goals. We will miss the knowledge and passion he had for racing and the boating industry. May he rest in peace.

Darren Luhrs

Last edited by DARREN US1; 07-28-2004 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-28-2004, 03:06 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2009 FORMULA 292

I am sorry for your loss Leanne. May he suffer no more and rest in eternal peace.
Old 07-28-2004, 04:13 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

My Boats: 1966 !8' Switzer Wing "Miss Diablo" 1968 Switzer Wing "Dust'n the Wind 2",, 1960 Powercat 15C , 1977 17' Molinari w/Evinrude CCC

The Man in the Middle.......................
Attached Thumbnails
fairwell to Doug Lewis-patdougrich.jpg  
Old 07-28-2004, 04:48 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

A viewing will be held on Friday night 7pm to 9pm @

Ely Funeral Home
3316 State Route 33 Neptune, NJ 07753-3441
Phone732) 918-6650.

Here is Doug doing what he loved best:
Attached Thumbnails
fairwell to Doug Lewis-teamsutphen.jpg  

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 07-28-2004, 04:51 PM
Registered

Doug’s battle was long and tiring. Doug and Leeanne showed true courage. R.I.P. You will be missed.

Philip and Kim

Last edited by Philip; 07-30-2004 at 07:26 PM.
Old 07-28-2004, 05:07 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

My Boats: 36' Apache Warrior / 22' Apache Scout

Doug originally built the motors in my boat back in 1996 before he was over at Lightning Jacks. I logged on over 400 hrs on those motors without any problems. When I tore them down to freshen them up there was absolutely nothing wrong with them. Even 5 years after he built the motors he was always helpful when I called to ask questions.

A few years ago I spent some time with him in the dyno room with a friends motor and I learned more from him in a few hours than I did in a few years on my own!

God Bless

Panther
Old 07-28-2004, 06:33 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

My Boats: 1966 !8' Switzer Wing "Miss Diablo" 1968 Switzer Wing "Dust'n the Wind 2",, 1960 Powercat 15C , 1977 17' Molinari w/Evinrude CCC

This is important.

The Memorial Service for Doug will be at 10:00 AM on Saturday August 14th 2004.

This is two weeks from now and will give all who might be traveling a chance to make appropriate plans.

All are welcome to the viewing this Friday as well........

T2x
Old 07-28-2004, 07:08 PM
Registered

My Boats: 22FT Velocity
Unhappy Re: fairwell to Doug Louis

Rest in peace Doug.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:49 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Default Re: fairwell to Doug Lewis

For those who weren't lucky enough to meet him, here is a story that was done back in 1997 on Doug:

INDUSTRY PROFILE - Doug Lewis, Professional Marine Racing
Offshore Racing Magazine - 1997
An international household name, Professional Marine Racing, PMR, is one of the foremost custom marine engine builders in the world. Bearing the name Pro 1 engines, their motors are designed to withstand the most grueling uses under extreme conditions using the most modern technology available. "Our slogan Miles Ahead of the Competition has quickly become an offshore racing standard. Racing isn't just our sideline but the basis upon which our reputation has been founded," stated Douglas Lewis, owner of Professional Marine Racing.

"Believe it or not, not too long ago (within the past year) we tallied up all the boats that raced the USORA circuit only and discovered that of the 100 boats that were registered, we had something to do with 75 of them at one time or another - ie, rigging/re-rigging, engine, maintenance, troubleshooting, team member etcetera," continued Lewis. Some of the boats running out of PMR include: FOUNTAIN (IN CONTEMPT), TEAM FOUNTAIN, BUCKSHOT, GREAT ADVENTURE, TERMINATOR, INSANITY, TEAM PROGRESSION, LIGHTNING JACK'S and PRIORITY.

Amongst PMR's most recent achievements, two of their boats, LIGHTNING JACK'S and IN CONTEMPT, competed in the SBIP Argentina Extravaganza in January. "LIGHTNING JACK'S finished first in Open class and IN CONTEMPT, raced by Lewis along with Patrick Patel, was leading the Modified class until they were sideswiped sustaining a hit bad enough to break a gas tank and force them out of the race.

After coming home from Argentina, Lewis left for North Carolina to participate in the APBA Kilo Runs held at the Fountain factory in February. He and Patel joined forces again setting a kilo record of 107+ mph in Manufacturers V in a 42-foot Fountain powered by PMR's Pro 1 engines.

The following Sunday, Lewis was off again, this time to Dubai where PMR has another shop that maintains several race boats in the Middle East. Here he raced the boat SAFEENAT NOOH, translated NOAH'S ARK, which is the name of their client's company, an international Mercedes-Benz dealer. After placing second in a field of 25, Lewis is looking forward to the UIM championship.

Lewis first become involved in offshore powerboat racing in 1975 when he did research and development on a 24-foot Superboat with Gale Banks turbo-charged motors and sterndrives. Because money was an object, and there was not enough to support his hobby and his new family, Lewis decided to leave offshore and try his luck on the more affordable drag boat racing circuit. During his dragboat racing years, he designed, built, and maintained his own small block, alcohol injected engine and set the fastest small block record of 129 mph with 8.31 second et. in the quarter-mile using an 18-foot flat bottom boat. Today, that same 129 mph is used as the East Coast Standard.

In 1987, Lewis again got involved in offshore powerboat racing as a throttleman/driver/crew chief. When the dry spells came in between races, he officiated as a certified APBA referee and inspector where needed. Lewis and team KONKRETE KAT won the 1988 World Championship in Pro Stock during their first year on the circuit. In 1990, after two years of offshore racing experience, Lewis decided to take his knowledge, love of boats and racing, and form Professional Marine Racing so his skills could be utilized by all types of boating enthusiasts.

Lewis subsequently amassed five world, six national, five North American, and five Northeast division championship titles in offshore racing during the past nine years in four different classes. His list of achievements has generated so many new ideas in boat rigging technology that it has caught the attention of Mercury Marine, Sutphen Marine and Douglas Marine. Lewis has done extensive research and development since 1990 on the Mercury Bravo sterndrive and is highly respected in the boating industry and sought after for consultation and troubleshooting purposes. He is widely known on the race circuit for his innovative rigging and engine building designs and techniques.

A close knit, five man team, PMR operates out of a new 20,000 square foot marina on Route 70 East in Brick, NJ. Their expertise includes services ranging from custom boat rigging/re-rigging and marine engine building/modifications for both inboard or outboard engines to lab analysis of fuel and oil for internal engine troubleshooting, and from custom part design/fabrications and complete dyno and flowbench services to in-water testing, winterization and storage.
Attached Thumbnails
fairwell to Doug Lewis-buckshotad.jpg  

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 07-28-2004, 09:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Default Re: fairwell to Doug Lewis

I had the pleasure of meeting Doug back in the late 90's on one of my many drives to NJ looking at used boats. He spent at least 2 hours showing and teaching me about Sutphen boats and how well they are constructed. Got to check out Buckshot too which was really cool after seeing it race so many times. Doug was just one of those rare individuals who made you feel like you had been friends for years. After reading this post I went out to my truck and grabbed the business card he gave me when we met. I kept it plain sight so I could remember to say prayers for him and Leanne during their battles with this horrible disease. Although he will be greatly missed by many, I am certain Doug is in a better place now.
Attached Thumbnails
fairwell to Doug Lewis-profmar.jpg