Notices

fairwell to Doug Lewis

Old 07-28-2004, 11:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: fairwell to Doug Lewis

Our condolences to his family & friends.
Old 07-29-2004, 01:55 AM
DebbieRacer

Unhappy Re: fairwell to Doug Lewis

Leeanne and Family, OPBRA and all of our members we send our Condolence and our Sympathy.Doug was a very special person.He will be in our hearts forever.Doug Rest in Peace.
Debbie Fleischman/OPBRA President

Last edited by DebbieRacer; 07-29-2004 at 01:57 AM.

Old 07-29-2004, 05:42 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

There was a time when Doug was out in Seattle getting his transplant. Something I am sure he would much rather not think about.
I looked to him for help when I was asked to test run a 28 Skater. Having never run one before, Doug had given me all the details from his laptop while at the hospital. At least for a moment, he got to think about boats while he was getting his treatment...

Here are the 2 emails I got back from him. Just to show how this man truely was in helping someone out:

Hi Tim:

In response to your questions, here we go!

The very first thing you need to do is check the rigging. The gear cases should be spinning out, the prop shaft should be 1.5 inches above bottom of boat on centerline. The tiebar should be adjusted so that there is 1/8 to1/16th of an inch toe in at the prop shafts. No air in the steering. The rocker switches: for trim when you push them up the drive go out and down they come in. You want the tunnel tab to come up when you press the "up" side of the switch. You need indicator marks for the drives when level to the bottom of the boat and tunnel tab level with the bottom of the boat.

When first testing, put 30 or 32" props on. Motors won't rev up until after 10 hours of break in. The max. RPM after break in is 8200 ( I believe). Motor temp. during wide open should be 140, may climb to 160. If it gets to 180, it's too hot.

Water press. should be 12 to 14 lbs. as long as the gauge line is tied into the center of the exhaust plate (This must be checked).

As far as running the boat, it should need very little positive trim after motor height is set. The tunnel tab is big enough to get you in trouble...BE CAREFUL! Initial testing should be with the tunnel tab level or up. After break in, you can start using tunnel tab and possibly a 34 in. prop. Combination of tunnel tab and props should equal 116 to 118 mph.

That's all I can think of right now. If you have any more questions, fire away! Good luck and BE CAREFUL.

Doug

Tim:

Let me know what the boat does during break in and MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A FULL AIR SYSTEM! I know the importance of this...don't leave the dock without it.

Keep me advised. Thanks.

Doug

We miss you Doug....

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 07-29-2004, 06:55 AM
Offshore Addiction

our regards to freinds and family,Offshore addiction racing family!

Old 07-29-2004, 06:59 AM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Rest in Peace Doug, You deserve it.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:45 AM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

That email that Sharkey posted is interesting. Two or three years ago, Doug was testing a new 43' Skater with Pat Patel in the bay at around 160mph. He had wired the tunnel tab button backwards. The boat was getting to light so he thought he was bringing the tab up to settle it down, when in reality he was pushing it down more. Eventually, the boat did a blow over at 160mph. Luckily both Doug and Pat came away unharmed, but as Doug said in his email to Tim, wear full time air and make sure everything works properly before it hits the water.

That's my favorite Doug Lewis war story.
Old 07-29-2004, 09:22 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

RIP & Condolences.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:20 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron P
That email that Sharkey posted is interesting. Two or three years ago, Doug was testing a new 43' Skater with Pat Patel in the bay at around 160mph. He had wired the tunnel tab button backwards. The boat was getting to light so he thought he was bringing the tab up to settle it down, when in reality he was pushing it down more. Eventually, the boat did a blow over at 160mph. Luckily both Doug and Pat came away unharmed, but as Doug said in his email to Tim, wear full time air and make sure everything works properly before it hits the water.

That's my favorite Doug Lewis war story.
Ron:

You're getting old......... That incident occurred 7 years ago, but it does point out that Doug learned his lessons well and shared them freely.

T2x
Old 07-29-2004, 03:40 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sharkey very nice post . My Best Regards to All.

Last edited by Steve 1; 07-29-2004 at 03:45 PM.
Old 07-29-2004, 09:21 PM
Registered

I know Doug had a lot of good friends here on the board.
R.I.P Doug, My thoughts and prayers are with your family and friends.

Quick Reply: fairwell to Doug Lewis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.