Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Desparate for ideas on running lights! >

Desparate for ideas on running lights!

Notices

Desparate for ideas on running lights!

Old 07-29-2004, 11:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Desparate for ideas on running lights!

My (new) Cig 28SS needs an adidtional runing light to be legal and I don't like the options I've found.

Originally the boat has red/green where they need to be, a transom light, anda short mast with 360 degree light on the windshield. The windshield has been replaced so the mast light is not installed. I could reinstall the mast but it'd be right in line of vision and ahead of the helm which I think is a VERY BAD idea.

I was thinking about a 360 degree light on a removable stalk above the transom. I've run boats with this arrangmeent and it works well for visibility and meets the inland waterway requirements.

Here's my problem - the stuff on the market is CRAP! Perko and such hardware is so flimsy comapred to the original that I can't bring myself to buy it. Can anyone please point me towards some quality hardware that is at least somewhat like the high quality vintage stuff on my boat? Thanks!
Old 07-29-2004, 12:21 PM
Registered

Received 2,967 Likes on 981 Posts
Default Re: Desparate for ideas on running lights!

Have you looked at those aftermarket automatic pop up 360 lights? I know the Tigers have them on the deck infront of the cabin door and alot of the westcoast companies put them in their boats. If you wanted to add a little something else you can put those pop up front running lights in the bow too. Sweet little ad ons I think REX marine sells both styles.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:21 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

You need one of those neat electically telescopic stern lights like they use on Outerlimits and Baja boats

http://www.unifiedmarine.com/cgi-bin...log_index.html
Old 07-29-2004, 12:35 PM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron P
You need one of those neat electically telescopic stern lights like they use on Outerlimits and Baja boats

http://www.unifiedmarine.com/cgi-bin...log_index.html

Outerlimits and Baja in the same sentence? eeewwww!
Old 07-29-2004, 12:46 PM
Registered

Received 2,967 Likes on 981 Posts

Originally Posted by CMG
Outerlimits and Baja in the same sentence? eeewwww!

Slow your roll.....

That's what I was talking about...The telescoping lights, then you add the bow lights that are flush until you turn them on and then they pop up automatically. Nice.

Last edited by thisistank; 07-29-2004 at 12:50 PM.
Old 07-29-2004, 01:16 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Contact Will Smith at Phantom boats. I know he is installing these on his new 38s.
(941) 232-4026
(941) 351-3760

[email protected]
Old 07-29-2004, 01:21 PM
Registered

Thanks guys, but I think your missing my intent here. This is a 1976 boat, not a modern, curvy, euro design, no teak, 14 drinkholder for every passenger kinda boat.

I'm looking for a quality stern light that is in keeping with the style from that era of boat. I'd be real interested is someone had some old stuff laying around that might work.

The only stuff I've seen is thin cast potmetal this or stamped sheetmetal that with plastic covers and self tapping screws that look like rejects from Korean kids toys. Who makes classically styled decent quality lighting?
Old 07-29-2004, 01:45 PM
Registered

I dont do a lot of running at night, so whenever I have to I still use mine on the windshield DO NOT PUT IT BACK THERE!!! It blinds you...you can not see crap with that thing on.

I would reccomend an electric telescoping ster light in place of the round stubby one on the transom, that would be a perfect place for it.
Old 07-29-2004, 02:20 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

For my vintage boat I fabricated a tall (about 5 ft) mast out of aluminum tubing & had it anodized, Perko light with a shield on top, a mil spec Amphenol connector on bottom with a tubular brace on windshield, the socket on the deck. Removable and puts it high enough so you can barely see it when it is on. I have also used the telescoping light and love them.
Old 07-29-2004, 03:18 PM
Registered

Here are the rules that would apply to your boat:

BOATS UNDER 12 METERS (39.4')

Powerboats-Separate or combination red and green sidelights, 112.5°, visible 1 n.m., placed above hull at least 1 meter (3.3') below masthead light. Masthead: white, 225°, visible 2 n.m., at least 1 meter above side lights. White stern light, 135°, visible 2 n.m. OR, one all-round (360°) white light (should also have sidelights).

Not 100% legal since the masthead light won't be 1 meter higher than your side lights, but you could mount a 225° masthead light on the bow and a 135° on the stern. That way the light won't shine in your eyes like a 360° light will while underway.

Last edited by ForrestC; 07-29-2004 at 03:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Desparate for ideas on running lights!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.