Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Eliminator 28 with twin Scorpions ??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/84171-eliminator-28-twin-scorpions.html)

nyvelocity280 07-29-2004 11:24 PM

Eliminator 28 with twin Scorpions ???

Anyone have any idea how fast a 28 daytona would be with twin Scorpion 377's ? I'm thinking about getting one next year, thinking this would be a great setup to run high 80's and get great fuel efficiency. Then when I am ready to break 100 I can get a pair of whipples.

TIA

Sydwayz 07-29-2004 11:49 PM

Re: Eliminator 28 with twin Scorpions ???

Although the Scorpion is a wicked engine in looks and performance, it was mostly a sales flop. Mercury has since discontinued production of the engine. This will affect your resale down the road, and they were unbelieveably expensive in the first place, rivalling the cost of an HP500EFI. I am not 100% sure, but I think they require 93 octane due to their compression ratio as well.

If it were me, I would steer clear of them.

Cat-n-Around 07-30-2004 09:41 AM

I bought a 04 28 Daytona w/box's and 350 mags, best was 78 GPS. I pulled the mags and replaced them with supercharged 509's, now Im at 115. Good luck

nyvelocity280 07-30-2004 09:55 AM

cat-n-round, did you give any thought to putting whipples on those 350's ? The light weight and approximately 500HP you would get out of them would have been a nice combination as long as they remained reliable.

That's too bad that the Scorpions are being discontinued, I'll have to look at either twin 495mag HO's or a 27' Eliminator with a single 525HP and then add a whipple later on.

Havasu Cig 07-30-2004 01:10 PM

There was a guy on the Hotboat.net board that had a Daytona (I believe it was a 26) with Whippled small blocks. I think it ran in the 130-140 mph range. I believe his screen name is Cat & Mice. He could probably give you some good info.

Neverfastenuf 07-30-2004 01:54 PM

Mike Pyle, aka Cat&Mice. He is in SLC Utah. His 28 Low Profile Eliminator has Pfaff built small blocks and is said to be in the 140-150 mph. area. I believe it is for sale, if it has not sold already. It is very, very nice. Sam

cobra marty 07-30-2004 03:47 PM

I don't think that the scorpions and sutable candidates for superchargers. Compression, pistons, etc. You would be better off to build some 383's with the right parts and sell the merc blocks.

fishead 07-30-2004 04:57 PM

Somebody put scorpions in thier cat and called it the scorpion edition,I cannot remember which manufacturer did it,although I know it was not eliminator.As a matter of fact there was a write up in either Hot Boat or Powerboats within the last couple of months about the boat and there was one for sale in either one of those classifieds in the back of the Magazine.I believe it was one of the Florida manufacturers,anyway,the boat will do 100mph according to the article with the twin scorpions and the price was about 130K.

H2Xmark 07-31-2004 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by fishead
Somebody put scorpions in thier cat and called it the scorpion edition,I cannot remember which manufacturer did it,although I know it was not eliminator.As a matter of fact there was a write up in either Hot Boat or Powerboats within the last couple of months about the boat and there was one for sale in either one of those classifieds in the back of the Magazine.I believe it was one of the Florida manufacturers,anyway,the boat will do 100mph according to the article with the twin scorpions and the price was about 130K.

It was Motion . they used there 30 foot hull

PowerboatsNW 07-31-2004 12:31 PM

call dustin @ whipple he had a 28 with whipples and the boat went 130 plus with small blocks.