Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/84394-nice-place-visit-but-i-wouldnt-want-live-there.html)

GregP 08-02-2004 07:11 PM

Nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there

Just got back from a week in the upper keys. Stayed in Key Largo, hit Islamadora and down to Marathon. I've NEVER seen so many trailer boats. Seems like every fourth car had one. Dealers had so many cc's you'd think the were spawning. A nice Zero-Tolerance cc, about 24 ft, was at the hotel dock for a couple of days.

Did a fair bit of snorkeling, close in and a couple boat runs out to the outer reefs. The swim with the Dolphins was also fun, we were with a pair with a 1 month old baby ... about 4 feet long already.

Now, Florida guys, about the weather and the Florida state bird (the mosquito). I've been in Florida two times this year and got rained on both times. Last week it rained every day but one, and really dumped on us coming in from the reefs on Thursday. No more bragging about illusionary "nice" weather, OK?

And the mosquitos ... normally they just go for Julie and leave me alone. They were so desperate for gormet tourist blood that they were even attacking me. We had to abandon our hike at one park as they were just too heavy to live with, even covered in bug spray.

Only saw one go fast the whole trip, an early Checkmate I think, Yellow with checkered flags at the transom, out in the rain with the rest of us on Thursday. I do now undestand why everyone hates the jetskies so much, they were just busing back and forth all day outside the hotel with their buzz,jump,buzz,jump. Never had them that bad up in MD.

Oh, I'll post the picture of the manatees at the hotel dock later :D

-Greg

Scott B 08-02-2004 09:10 PM

Re: Nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there

LOL, You went to the Key's during mini-season?? Who's your travel agent, Larry, Curly or Moe?? ;) :crazy: ;) :rolleyes:

cuda 08-02-2004 09:12 PM

I'd rather have a mosquito for a state bird than a penguin. :)

GregP 08-02-2004 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Scott B
LOL, You went to the Key's during mini-season?? Who's your travel agent, Larry, Curly or Moe?? ;) :crazy: ;) :rolleyes:

Yep, it was the only free week in my daughters summer camp schedule (so you can se what takes priority)

-Greg

MnFastBoat 08-02-2004 09:28 PM

Only reason Florida has Misquitos is because some old fart from Minnesota brought it down there.

no place can out due the bite and swarm factor then the MN State Legistlature Symbol--The Misquito---Blood sucking you from the moment you step outside :)

georges 08-02-2004 10:56 PM

You just missed it. It did not rain from january to june!
That's why we love our summers, humidity, thunderstorms, and about 3 million less cars! :D
Come to Key West in november, then you will see THE REAL Florida! :drink: