Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
New trend toward "center helms" ? >

New trend toward "center helms" ?

Notices
View Poll Results: Center / convertable helm set up?
I love that set up, next time I'd go that route if available!
22.73%
I'm just like Too Old and will stick with my old shoes and the old style helm.
77.27%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

New trend toward "center helms" ?

Old 08-05-2004, 02:00 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question New trend toward "center helms" ?

With the new Cig TG that debuted today, and other manufacturers going to / offering a center helm option / configuration, what is your general thought on this layout? With the Gladiator, you have the left hand vs. right hand dilemma, Cats mix and match right & left and it seems that with OL offering dual helms, and now Cig, things are changing a bit?

Just curious if given the option, would you stick with a "conventional" helm, or go for the center / convertable helm set up?
Old 08-05-2004, 02:46 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: New trend toward "center helms" ?

Center helm is nice, visibility wise, but I would want the person sitting next to me to have seat access fron their side so they don't disturb whoever is driving.
The way it is now, the driver has to get up and out before the other person can. Not good.
Old 08-05-2004, 03:00 PM
Charter Member#350
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best way to drive a boat period.
Attached Thumbnails New trend toward "center helms" ?-santiagozerocavity.jpg  
Old 08-05-2004, 03:43 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

I guess I'm old school, and my boat does see water, unlike some people . My 42 Sonic, and 37 Active Thunder were side bolsters. My Nortech has a wide 9' beam so it makes it easy access to the back or down to the cabin, I've always driven on the far starboard side, I'm unsure how much room would be on the sides if the seats were in the center. Jeff
Attached Thumbnails New trend toward "center helms" ?-96_0111.jpg   New trend toward "center helms" ?-96_0109.jpg   New trend toward "center helms" ?-mvc-009s.jpg  

Last edited by JASSMAN; 08-05-2004 at 03:46 PM.
Old 08-05-2004, 04:07 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Hey, get your facts straight!!!
One of Freds favorite boats was his 28 pantera... which was a center helm.
I dig that look, but on some of these you can't get down into the cabin through a door.
Old 08-05-2004, 04:13 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: New trend toward "center helms" ?

Originally Posted by JASSMAN
I guess I'm old school, and my boat does see water, unlike some people . My 42 Sonic, and 37 Active Thunder were side bolsters. My Nortech has a wide 9' beam so it makes it easy access to the back or down to the cabin, I've always driven on the far starboard side, I'm unsure how much room would be on the sides if the seats were in the center. Jeff
That Nortech is something to be proud of. Great interior. What engines and hull, speeds etc?
Old 08-05-2004, 04:29 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I like driving my 12 wide cat from the center .But I hate having somone in my way if I need to get out in a hurry .
Attached Thumbnails New trend toward "center helms" ?-dscf0016.jpg  
Old 08-05-2004, 04:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
That Nortech is something to be proud of. Great interior. What engines and hull, speeds etc?
Thanks Hydrocruiser, Nortech builds one hell of a boat, and it was fun building it, I'm actually starting another one, possibly their 5000 V. The boat is their 4300 model, weighs 13,000 pounds, rides like a Rolls Royce. As to the engines they are TMP 600C.I. 750hp efi's. on Merc. #5 drives, 1400 Bam trannies, Stelling boxes, runs around 84mph@5300rpm's. I usually cruise at 3500@52 or 4000@61, very fuel effeicient at 52mph, we do alot of island hopping and Sat nights we like to sleep out at Cat Island, I had a bimini top and full enclosure made, it helps walking around from cockpit to cabin, the Gen set works great and at least the kids can watch tv/dvds, while we drink in the cockpit with our friends. Take care Jeff
Old 08-06-2004, 05:55 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Too Old
A boat I did drive and often was my 28 Pantera with center steering.

I like driving dead center better than any other position.

A six pack bolster boat with center steering isn't for everyone. Think about docking alone. Especially with center bolsters that don't allow you to move to the sides of the boat.

For hardcore, badazz, they can't be beat.
Go Bad Boy!! The Sutpen of yours is truely a bad boy set up, 100mph plus, all you got to do is get you BAD ASS in the seat. It will all come back to you, the white knuckle feel of you gripping the wheel, your Fabio hair blowin in the wind,(of course with an OSO durag) the topless Hooters chicks in every seat, of course with a vest on Retired life couldn't get any better, GO FOR IT Jeff
Old 08-06-2004, 06:29 AM
Faster!

I am the current owner of Fred's six pack Pantera. As Fred said, a center steer six pack boat isn't for everyone but it is hardcore and attracts a lot of attention.

I enjoy it and my wife feels safe at speed so its all good. Docking alone can be a challenge, you just gotta be able to get out of the bolster in a hurry.
Attached Thumbnails New trend toward "center helms" ?-six1.jpg   New trend toward "center helms" ?-six2.jpg   New trend toward "center helms" ?-six3.jpg