Notices

Kilo Time!!!! Outerlimits vs Fountain

Old 08-08-2004, 07:25 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Re: Kilo Time!!!! Outerlimits vs Fountain

Originally Posted by mcollinstn
If these motors are scheduled for 30 hour rebuilds and were at 27 hours, then there is no particular reason to expect a breakage.

Was OL unprepared, apparently YES, they were unprepared for the loss of a motor.
Where on earth did you learn that OL ran these engines for 27 hours before going to this KILO RUN?

I would just like to know the facts, because I just don't think this is true that OL would have done this.

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 08-08-2004, 07:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I probably will never own either, but I follow them closely since they both pretty much push the performance boats to their limits. You do not have to race each other to set a kilo record for the people who comment that neither ran each other. They run the clock. Reggie performed and the other did not. They both have shown their stuff and for now, Reggie is King. This is what makes powerboating fun and exciting. Hopefully, next week it will be a glastron or a ski natique who sets the kilo record, but at least someone is trying. For those diehard Fountain and Outerlimit guys or girls, congratulations or my condolences. Both are outstanding boats.
Hope to see both of them setting yet another record.
Old 08-08-2004, 07:59 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkeymarine
Where on earth did you learn that OL ran these engines for 27 hours before going to this KILO RUN?

I would just like to know the facts, because I just don't think this is true that OL would have done this.
Sharkey I think that some one WAY back was making a possible cause/analogy, and from there it has been taken as gossiple. Maybe it happened that way but I highly doubt it.

Jon
Old 08-08-2004, 08:00 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

One thing is for sure you can bet that the Fiors are reading this and shaking their heads with all the speculation...
Old 08-08-2004, 08:01 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Originally Posted by Hustler40
I repeated the thing about it being 27 hours on the motors because that is what i read, and i shouldn't have because we do not know if it was true or not..
Exactly!!!

No one knows if that was true or not.

I am giving OL's the benefit of the doubt that it was purely fabricated.

If something let go in one of the engines, I don't think it was because of too much time. It may have been a defective part that was not something simple to correct...

As far as being ready for the run, both companies did the best they could. You have to know that. And I think if the Kilo's were ran on Friday, Reggie would have melted an engine or two as well. Remember, he wasn't ready on Friday either. Cooling troubles remember? Perhaps the weather was in his favor on Friday so it bought him another 24 hours to relocate or enlarge his water pickups.

Old 08-08-2004, 08:06 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Originally Posted by Audiofn
Sharkey I think that some one WAY back was making a possible cause/analogy, and from there it has been taken as gossiple. Maybe it happened that way but I highly doubt it.

Jon
Jon, A pretty nasty conception that person came up with huh?

There is just no way a big company like OL would have done something like that. And for anyone to believe they would? Their credibility is shrinking....

Old 08-08-2004, 08:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats to Reggie and the whole Fountain crew...Mikey, eat crow and trake it like a man your day to prove it will come again. A 42 O.L. and a 42 Fountain are the 2 most wicked V's out there. You get what you pay for, and if you think you didn't.....your the fool.
Old 08-08-2004, 08:56 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't been here in a while and I only had to read this thread to realize one thing...
LPA must have changed his name to Hydrotool !!!
Hydro has to be the knob !!!

Oh how I miss his posts.

Anyway, congrats to Fountain. VERY IMPRESSIVE!

To those that have taken pop-shots at OL... you must not have ever been around BIG hp engines. When you get to this power level, these things are ticking time bombs! Chit happens, it's part of racing. Don't count OL out, they will run again.
Old 08-08-2004, 09:01 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

Nobody reads an entire post, do they?

This is just d@mn ridiculous.

Somebody early in the post said the motors had 27 hours on them.
And were on a 30 hour recommended rebuild schedule.

And if you read my post, you'll see that I clearly say "IF" they were blah blah. In no way am I claiming to know anything more than I've read on this thread.

BUT STILL. If Racecrafters sells me a pair of 2000hp Bullets for $250k, and tells me that they are on a 30 hour rebuild schedule, then this means that I can run them for 30 hours with no worries. Doesn't mean they are scheduled to grenade at 27 hours. Or at 30 hours. Or at 35 hours. It means that with expected usage, you should plan to pull them and go thru them at 30 hours TO PREVENT PART FAILURE FROM RUINING YOUR DAY.

ASSUMING the earlier posted 27 hour runtime, and 30 hour rebuild schedule is correct, I STILL MAINTAIN THAT THERE IS NO REASON FOR FIORE TO SH1TCAN THE MOTORS FOR THIS RUN.

The continuing screaming that Fiore is an idiot because he didn't have RaceCrafters rent a building next door to the site and set up a repair facility is LUDICROUS.

The analogy using PYLON RACING AIRPLANES as an example fits perfectly in this application. Those planes are multi million dollar pieces, tweaked and massaged for one day at the Air Races. If they break, they watch from the ground and have to wait until next year.

The INSANE argument that this debate should be settled with sealed 525's is an argument that belongs in another thread. This thread is about the FASTEST V HULL kilo record.

If Ole Reggie wants to run a turbine, it oughta be just fine.

NOW, once an ultimate record is established and there are arguments regarding power differences, then there can be a petition for a record with a certain spec engine or something but it isnt going to apply to the absolute V hull record.

Duh.

Now if you excuse me my dog Boojey, I mean Fountain, wants to go out and take a dump.
Old 08-08-2004, 09:10 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Mc.

I guess you could call Fountain a sea dog!

Quick Reply: Kilo Time!!!! Outerlimits vs Fountain

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.