Has Cigarette lost it's way??? >

Has Cigarette lost it's way???

Notices

Has Cigarette lost it's way???

Old 08-07-2004, 05:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Has Cigarette lost it's way???

As I sit here waiting intently on the results of the Kilo and the races I cant help but think that the dream of DA is dying. I would love to see Cigarette factory involved in Kilos or in offshore racing. "World Championship Offshore Racing Team" seems to mean nothing to the factory anymore and I find that difficult to watch. As Reggie forges forward with his top speed attempts it is very apparent that the lessons learned in that quest ultimately benefit the end user. Why would Cig not want to be a part of the learning curve? Is Skip that blind to not understand that the "Legend" is about DA's racing, battling and proving and improving the Cigarette hull? With a clear hull turning issue why would he not want to support racing for R&D purposes?? Come on Skip, get with the program!! Let me qualify this by saying that I have my 3rd Cig on the way.......
Old 08-07-2004, 06:06 PM
Registered

Received 2,830 Likes on 950 Posts
Default Re: Has Cigarette lost it's way???

The only way Cig could get involved is if they built a prototype for the kilo runs alone. Cig is known for crushing the waves at high speeds. Fountain is known for high speeds w/glass conditions. Two different types of boats, Built differently w/ different goals, you know that.

And cig is working on improving itself. Look at the new 39. Not a huge jump but it is different from their norm.

Fountain wants to be the fastest. Cig doesn't need to prove it's the best....it just is....it's an industry standard.
Old 08-07-2004, 06:11 PM
Registered

But the point I am making is that it is not the industry standard based on performance, only on name recognition. Eventually that legend will be a myth...... I dont want that to happen.
Old 08-07-2004, 06:17 PM
big cat

Re: Has Cigarette lost it's way???

a cig couldnt run 180 if it was dumped out of an airplane

Old 08-07-2004, 06:24 PM
Registered

I agree 100%. I don't want that to happen either. But I disagree on the fact the name recognition is based not on performance. Remember, how a boat handles the true "offshore" is considered performance as well. Being the fastest doesn't make you the best. being the fastest in the big sh!t does! Cigarette didn't become as famous as it is because of speed trials, advertising, or even the race circuit dare I say.

They became the industry standard because of word of mouth of owners. When's the last time you heard from an unsatisfied Cig owner. The fact that they have been building boats for 30 years doesn't hurt either. Legends like Cigarette don't die because they don't run a race.

Though I have to agree, on the flip side, I too would like to see a Cigarette go out and run a boat at 180!

Tank
Old 08-07-2004, 06:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow Re: Has Cigarette lost it's way???

Originally Posted by big cat
Either could a straight production Fountain run 180. I think they and others should consider getting involved in this event. Why? Well Enzo Ferrari said "I make cars during the week and on Sunday I race them"

It's all about attitude and the promotion of the sport. It promotes enthusiasm and if it gets enough notoriety would help curtail people saying "Isn't that one of them there cigar boats". The offshore sport could use more publicity and generate more interest all around. This kind of event can help do that. It would increase sales, resale value and get more folks to appreciate the fun side of this sport.

Worth a consideration by all builders.
Old 08-07-2004, 06:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by big cat

Why not? It's just money OL and Fountain are playing with. Whoever has the biggest check book will win. If cigarette wanted to build the fasted v-bottom boat in the world, they would. They don't care. You know why? They don't have too. All other V-bottoms are trying to catch up to Cig's rep. It's like someone said on another thread. When they start asking if that's one of them thar Fountain boats or Outerlimit boats when they see a long sleek offshore performance boat, then maybe Cig should start to worry. Cig's doing fine in my opinion.

And by the way, when even a fraction of the nations population has even heard of a Skater then maybe the V-bottom industry should worry.
Old 08-07-2004, 06:51 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thisistank

And by the way, when even a fraction of the nations population has even heard of a Skater then maybe the V-bottom industry should worry.
One point would be that the people who are buying new Cigs aren't the one's that have never heard of Skater. Do you think Cig needs to reach the people living in a doublwide and driving a 77 hooptie? I don't think so. What does Cig have to gain by running these drag races? They are already the Gold Standard of offshore powerboats. I still don't think there are many boats going to leave them behind in real world conditions that they are built for. I commend Fountain for what they have accomplished, but it doesn't mean that much to the mainstream performance boaters that run in real seas.

I never met a Cig I didn't like.
Old 08-07-2004, 07:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cuda
One point would be that the people who are buying new Cigs aren't the one's that have never heard of Skater. Do you think Cig needs to reach the people living in a doublwide and driving a 77 hooptie? I don't think so. What does Cig have to gain by running these drag races? They are already the Gold Standard of offshore powerboats. I still don't think there are many boats going to leave them behind in real world conditions that they are built for. I commend Fountain for what they have accomplished, but it doesn't mean that much to the mainstream performance boaters that run in real seas.

I never met a Cig I didn't like.

I agree 100 %. I could care less if Cigs are competing in Kilos, or trying for the fastest V bottom title. I would like to see them get back into offshore racing but top speed on glass water does nothing for me. If I want to go fast on smooth water I will go back to a cat.
Old 08-07-2004, 07:30 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Get A Hydroplane,

Smooth an FAST !!!!!!!!!!

L.S.

Quick Reply: Has Cigarette lost it's way???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.