Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   First ride in a 36' Skater, WOW! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/84832-first-ride-36-skater-wow.html)

Panther 08-09-2004 03:35 PM

WOW! My first ride in a 36' Skater,

1 Attachment(s)
Well, I had my first ride in a friends 36' Skater this weekend. What an excellent running boat. I was amazed how smooth it was. I don't think my fiance would ever go out on my boat again if she was with us.

We ran from Sandy Hook past the Verrazanno and back. On the way back my friend was on the sticks and I was driving. We were just a touch under 100mph (99 speedo recall) with more to go. Since it was my first time driving a 36 we didn't think it was a great idea to run balls to the wall.

If I didn't want a boat with all the amenities as a v-bottom I would definetely go with a skater. It was hands down the smoothest running 36' boat I have been on.

Anyway, just wanted to share my experience.

This was the boat. It has since been converted to a pleasure boat and re-painted since the mishap in the Worlds.

Ron P 08-09-2004 04:01 PM

Re: First ride in a 36' Skater, WOW!

He should race it this Friday in Point Pleasant.

Ryan Beckley 08-09-2004 04:22 PM

It's a 1/4 canopy pleasure boat now still running 6 drives with 500's.

Comanche3Six 08-09-2004 04:24 PM

I am amazed you were going that fast. The water had to be pretty big by the Verrazanno. And the tip of Sandy Hook is no picnic either. I was in Horseshoe Cove.

Ryan Beckley 08-09-2004 04:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Panther 08-09-2004 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Ron P
He should race it this Friday in Point Pleasant.

Ron, I think John is done racing for now.

Ryan, yes that is the way the boat looks now. In testing the boat ran 108mph before it was delivered on Saturday.

The bay wasn't to rough on Saturday, maybe 2-3 ft chop out in the middle of the bay. We opened it up between the tip of the hook heading back and it was about 1-2 ft chop.

I spoke to John this afternoon and he said it was kinda rough yesterday. It was definetely a blast, you can't beat 108 mph with HP 500's.

Panther 08-09-2004 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Ryan Beckley

Ryan, did you do the graphics?

Ryan Beckley 08-09-2004 07:03 PM

yes , I went down to TNT and did them last Wednesday.

lucky strike 08-09-2004 09:09 PM

I'm heading to Jersey for a week, will have use of 33' Cat X raceboat with big power

number 5's, turned into a pleasure edition. I've always owned V bottoms so this will be

a new experance. My boat runs in the mid 70's, this cat is about 100 mph. I'll let you

know my opition, they say once you go Cat, you'll never go back.

Should get a lot of Cat time in. Can't get there soon enough !!!!!!!!!

Lucky Strike

Stormrider 08-10-2004 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by lucky strike
they say once you go Cat, you'll never go back.

Lucky Strike

I've heard that once you drive a cat, everything else is a dog.