Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
My new boat had the wrong prop for me >

My new boat had the wrong prop for me

Notices
View Poll Results: Did your boat come with the right prop for you?
It was the perfect type and pitch 4-blade
21.74%
It was the perfect type and pitch 3-blade
13.04%
It was 4-bladed and only great at top-end; I switched
4.35%
It was 3-bladed and not a top-ender so I switched
17.39%
I am still searching for the RIGHT prop
43.48%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

My new boat had the wrong prop for me

Old 08-10-2004, 10:04 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow My new boat had the wrong prop for me

Are manufacturers sending their boats out with the right props for YOU? I am hearing sacrificing a little at the top-end for more at take-off and midrange is what some folks want and the main reason for prop changes. So let's do a poll and see where things are at.

I personally like 3 blade well cupped props that sacrifice a few top-end miles for better take-offs. What's your call?

What brand of boat, size and engine/prop manufacturer/number of blades and pitch are you running? RPM's at cruise and WOT? Good at takeoff? Cruise? WOT?

What matters most to you?

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 08-10-2004 at 10:10 PM.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:17 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow Re: My new boat had the wrong prop for me

I like the Hydromotive Turbo's I have at 21 pitch on a Wellcraft 26' Nova ST
Tremendous take-off without using tabs, topend 61 on GPS could be 64-65 with a 23 pitch prop. Never tried a 4 blade. 350 magnums. Would not change I love the bottom and end and midrange is very good.
WOT RPM 4500; cruises at 45-50 MPH at 3500-4000. Minimal load on outdrives is another advantage of being slightly underpropped. Merc LaserII's were not good as they did not have enough balde surface area and came from Wellcraft with the boat. $1,000.00 waste of $$.

I purchased the Turbo's with a Bravo hub diameter for $299.00 ea. Counter-rotating.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:24 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: My new boat had the wrong prop for me

1997 33' powerplay
2x HP500's staggered (carb motors)
3 blade 29 mirage's @ 5,000rpm turning in = 84mph on gps (still have a few rpm left)
Out of the hole is slow. I don't care about the "hole shot" because I take it easy getting on plane. I could probably go to 30 mirage's to get to the 5200rpm rev limiter.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:28 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

The reason I started the survey is because a lot of offshore boaters tell me they know they haven't found the right combo yet. Most props are factory tested with 1/2 tank of gas and a minimal load. That means when you fill the tank and add a few people the boat is over-propped usually.

Number of Blades – "Sufficient blade area is needed to properly distribute engine power across blade surface. Too little blade area causes high "blade loading", which means the prop can't absorb all the power transferred by the engine. With increased blade area you can decrease the blade diameter, but often with less efficiency at higher speeds. A 3-blade prop is considered the best combination of blade area and low blade loading. When the number of blades is changed, diameter and pitch may require a minimal adjustment to remain in the safe blade loading range. For most purposes 3 and 4-blade props can be used interchangeably on outboards and stern-drives without much of a change in performance".

I found this on a prop manufacturer's website. I tend to agree that if you have the right diameter, cupping and blade surface area for a particular engine then the difference between a 4 blade and a 3 blade is minimal.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:57 AM
Registered

Took delivery of my new 2003 Formula 382 last May and it would not even get on plane. Boat was del. w/ 34 pitch 4 blades. Boat is loaded w/ options and 575's w/ ITS/xr drives. Formula is working w/ me to get things right! Wrink
Old 08-11-2004, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I Just Purchased A 94 Gun Staggered With Twin 1000 On Number 5 Drives. It Cruises At 3800 Rpm At Like 60-65 Mph And Wot I Forgot The Rpms But I Saw 102 Mph (lake) When I Tested It With A Lil Bit More To Go . It's Pushing 4 Blade 29 Pitch. It's Kinda Slow Off The Hole Also But I Also Will Take It Easy Getting On Plan. Cant't Wait To Get Here
Old 08-11-2004, 05:42 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Looks pretty mixed split down the middle about half are happy with the props that were standard and about half aren't.

think salt vs/ freshwater is part of the reason?
Old 08-11-2004, 05:57 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine were perfect; 26 four blade Kamma's.
Attached Thumbnails My new boat had the wrong prop for me-kdrive.jpg  
Old 08-11-2004, 05:59 PM
Steve_H

Originally Posted by thedonz
I Just Purchased A 94 Gun Staggered With Twin 1000 On Number 5 Drives. It Cruises At 3800 Rpm At Like 60-65 Mph And Wot I Forgot The Rpms But I Saw 102 Mph (lake) When I Tested It With A Lil Bit More To Go . It's Pushing 4 Blade 29 Pitch. It's Kinda Slow Off The Hole Also But I Also Will Take It Easy Getting On Plan. Cant't Wait To Get Here
congrats!
now where are the pics?

Old 08-11-2004, 07:12 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by cuda
Mine were perfect; 26 four blade Kamma's.
Do you get a nice roostertail off those drives?

Quick Reply: My new boat had the wrong prop for me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.