1988 26 foot chris craft stinger

Old 08-19-2004, 03:45 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Re: 1988 26 foot chris craft stinger

Originally Posted by batty
a few weeks? am I the only one that braves the late October cold
The good thing about staying in the water that long is the water gets cold enough that the algea will not stick to the bottom of the boat
i hear ya Brad. also its easier to get a dock downtown when its snowing i dont stop boating till the water gets hard
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 08-19-2004, 03:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey dave , if your still interested still have a set of 21's on the nova you could try, ill just have to pull them off the drives. let me know.
heck maybe ill get froggy and pull the boat out of the shop this weekend and run the cobwebs out of it!
Old 08-19-2004, 04:08 PM
186captiva

Puder. Lets hear about this Scarab. Give me some specifics.

Old 08-19-2004, 05:51 PM
Kohldog

Count me in as a happy Scorpion owner. Here's a pic of my 1979 260SL from earlier this spring. I think It must be one of the first ones made as when I looked them up I can't find the model being manufactured until 1980.

The alpha / 350 combo was replaced with 454 Mags and Bravos about 500 hours ago. Along the way I had the huge front rail removed and a bit of glass work done in the engine compartment to upgrade the cross braces between the stringers that were starting to crack a bit.

Otherwise it's been a great boat and I'm on my 5th season with it.
Attached Thumbnails 1988 26 foot chris craft stinger-dscn1607-medium-.jpg  

Old 08-20-2004, 09:25 AM
Registered

GlassDave,

I really don't know exactly what I have forward/behind the drives (1.47). I'm running 21 Mirage, 56 GPS MPH@4400 Stb 4200 Port (Lot slower w / bimini top)...Math doesn't make sense so the props could have been reworked. Have read good stuff about Houston Props so I may send them in this winter.

Think my 5.7 are getting tired and need to pull this winter. While replacing a front main seal, I ruined the timing cover...Marine Tex IS a wonderful thing as it saved me from having to pull it now. Wondering what you did to get 275 - 300 HP. If I do anything, will probably target 330...the Alpha destruction point. Hate to mess w / them as they ALWAYS start but you always can use more and I would like to know what I have.

Would probably start w / Vortech heads / Moore Exhaust / New Intake / Correct Ignition Module. Now I have 1996 + block on the starbord side and pre 96 on the port. Plus he put the 305 ignition module on it so I dont get full advance until after 4200+ RPM. With a full boat / Fuel I'm lucky to get 3800 RPM.

Depends how much spare $$$ are lying around as to what gets done this year.

Kohldog,

Had a friend w an 85 260 and Big Blocks that did 72...What are you getting...
Old 08-20-2004, 10:21 AM
Registered

Count me in as a happy Chris Craft owner as well. I have a '82 312 Stinger for the past 2 1/2 seasons on erie and so far have not had or noticed any problems. Before i bought mine i did have a surveyor and two knowledgeable boating friends look it over to make sure they didn't see any problems, specifically with the stringers. There are good ones out there you just have to be careful. I don't know if it's true or not but Murry bought CC in '81 and i was told they were having their boats made by Excalibur (were they an actual boat manufacturer?) until '84, then they started making their own and had major problems. But like i said someone told me that and i have never found any evidence to back it up so it could be complete bull****.

Fund Razor, can you get a picture of where your stringers are separating? I'd like to see it so i know what to look for in case it happens
Old 08-20-2004, 01:14 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Brad- i'd love to try those 21's i have a pair of 22's to try as well. i will be at wodtick most of the weekend. i will keep an eye out for ya.

Island Time- i just freshened up my 350's and added stainless risers/intakes/cams and carbs. the hp is actually just a guess on my part but they do run stronger the when they were stock. you have a good plan of attack for your new motors and the key for you is the vortech heads. i have heard they are good for about 40HP by themselves. get a copy of dennis moore's book on marine small blocks its invaluable, actually he is in the tech section here every so often and always has good info. i may have to squeeze a few more HP out of my motors as i would like to spin my 23 over proping down to a 21. was also thinking about having HoustonProp put the Accelerator cut on my current props. they have a great reputation and i have heard good things about this grind.

Kohldog- do you have any pics of your cockpit or cabin. your boat is exactly like mine except for my swim platform. just curious what was changed over the years.

Last edited by glassdave; 08-20-2004 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-20-2004, 06:13 PM
Kohldog

Island Time - I don't have a GPS but from the boats I run with I've been told 68 +

Glassdave - Here are a few pictures for you. How does it compare to yours?
Attached Thumbnails 1988 26 foot chris craft stinger-dscn2337.jpg   1988 26 foot chris craft stinger-dscn1601-medium-.jpg   1988 26 foot chris craft stinger-dscn1603-medium-.jpg  

Old 08-20-2004, 09:59 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

i like the way your cockpit is layed out. your looks alittle roomier than mine (I have the bolsters) and i like the sink you have. looks handy to have. i tell ya the truth my dock neighbor has a mid eighties 30 scarab panther. sweet boat but side by side with my scorp i have a bigger better layed out cabin/cockpit/engine room. surprisingly when you look at them docked together you dont really notice the three foot difference. i have alot more freeboard too.
Old 08-21-2004, 01:46 AM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

chekc yoru email. oh yeah and i notice dyoua re new here so you might not have yet picked up "pudereze", sorry about my crazy typing/typos. Its just how i type and its been a runnign joke her eon oso sfor a good several years now. The good ne sis you pick it up after a while and learn to decipher it pretty well.

Quick Reply: 1988 26 foot chris craft stinger

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.